Burned out?!

• Thread starter peace.love.gymnast
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

P

peace.love.gymnast

So, I think I'm burned out:( I LOVE gymnastics...pretty much everything about it, but lately I find that I don't look forward to coaching all of my classes like I used to. Don't misunderstand...I still go in with a smile on my face & I'm VERY animated when I teach, but I'm tired!! I currently teach at a small gym near my home which is convenient so I like that a lot. I am teaching 18 classes per week, coaching a small cheer squad several hours per week, & I have approx. 8 private lessons a week. I also have to choreograph routines for all of my classes for our end of the year show. I really love what I do...it's the most rewarding job I think I could ever have, but I don't know if I should take some time off from coaching after this season ends. I have been suffering from a back injury for about a month now, so that doesn't help things either. Does anyone else feel like this sometimes? Do I just sound like a complainer? Maybe I just need a REALLY GOOD vacation!!:rolleyes:

Sounds like you have been thinking about this for awhile. We all get tired and feel worn down sometimes. Maybe try taking a few days off hopefully they will find someone to cover for you and go do something you find relaxing. No magic answers but know you're not alone and others are thinking of you.

Do you get summers off? If not you could take it off and give your back time to heal. Maybe if you take time off you can decide if you really miss it or not.

I find at our gym the coaches (including myself) can get a little drained and less motivated at the end of the year, but after a summer break we are ready and excited for a new season.
Hopefully you just have the end of the year bug because it sounds like you are a great coach!

Good luck with coaching and with your back.

So, I think I'm burned out:( I LOVE gymnastics...pretty much everything about it, but lately I find that I don't look forward to coaching all of my classes like I used to. Don't misunderstand...I still go in with a smile on my face & I'm VERY animated when I teach, but I'm tired!! I currently teach at a small gym near my home which is convenient so I like that a lot. I am teaching 18 classes per week, coaching a small cheer squad several hours per week, & I have approx. 8 private lessons a week. I also have to choreograph routines for all of my classes for our end of the year show. I really love what I do...it's the most rewarding job I think I could ever have, but I don't know if I should take some time off from coaching after this season ends. I have been suffering from a back injury for about a month now, so that doesn't help things either. Does anyone else feel like this sometimes? Do I just sound like a complainer? Maybe I just need a REALLY GOOD vacation!!:rolleyes:

I feel the same way sometimes, especially if I have a nagging pain. It's still fun, a great job, etc. but being tired happens. If taking some time off is possible I'd try to do that. Just 2 days even, where you can just sleep and baby your back.

On the advice of my DH I went to a nutritionist a few weeks back. We work hard and for long stretches, potential for injury and (situational) bad eating are real hazards for us too! After getting my bmi and personal health history etc I got put on an anti-catabolic. Added hours and only being able to grab a granola bar and drink water equalled dropping weight like crazy. One of the perks of our job is the workout we get, and mine was just eating me, literally! It's only been 2 weeks since, but I'm glad for it for sure!

Take care of yourself, and if you want any help with your end of the year routines pm me the details :) It's hard to be creative if you're down, abuse my pm box if you're not in the mood and I'll help where I can!

Many gyms don't want to take off time during the year for breaks. However, if we don't, as coaches we can easily get burnt out. My finances don't like too many breaks but sometimes I'm just aching for a week of only team only workouts or a light week ( besides Turkey, the solstice/equinox holidays, July 4th and NY ).

As well, I am seriously noticing that on my rec days I often can go about nearly 6 hours before I can eat anything. That means I can definitely get irritable, headaches and lack of motivation/energy going. Maybe I can get some water, if I carry it around but what if I drink it all up? I don't have any breaks between classes so this is where I really appreciate when classes end 5m under the hour or half hour. How about if I need a bathroom break?

We have the weekends, but sometimes that's just not enough and we can get into these long ruts. A lot of it becomes a motion I just go through since I'm so used to it by now. I'm really glad I'm not doing it for 6 days a week ( sat morn classes and bday parties ) anymore.

The fortunate thing about team in some of the gyms I've been at is coaches can get away to go to the bathroom or get a bite to eat where we can't in rec. This is where having group rec warmups or just 5m off the half hour/hour helps a lot.

Maybe the gyms should have those little pots of nuts and snacks like they have for judges at meets. That would be awesome. Thank goodness I keep lots of fruit leather in my locker or bananas and some milk in the fridge I can quickly chug or some cheese. It's rough on the days without it. Besides on the team days, when they snack, I can snack. This is good.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back