Parents DD's Level 8 State Meet Report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Granny Smith

Proud Parent
Hi everyone! Well States didn't go as planned, she didn't make it to Regionals, but she did earn a trip to the emergency room. There was I believe 39 girls and placements went out 10 places.

She started on bars. Her warm ups were gorgeous, she was first up beautiful lower bar and then fell where she would normally fall at the clear hip to HS. Score - 9.05 I truly believe that if she didn't have that fall that she could of definitely won bars. She starts to lose it and now she has to go to beam.

Beam, well they really took her routine down to basically nothing but a series. They took out her BT, which I knew earlier in the week. No one was doing their BT for level 8 on dd's team. At the meet, both coaches told her to take out her FHS, which she did. It was probably for the best considering her condition following bars. She had a bobble after her full turn, but otherwise clean. Score - 9.375, good for 6th place.

I think she is starting to feel better and realizing that she is not out of it yet. Me on the other hand, I'm seeing these really inflated scores all over the place on every event and truly felt the 9 wouldn't hold up to give her the chance to qualify.

Onto floor. I thought her floor looked beautiful as usual. I thought she was very controlled on her landings for her passes, to me overall she looked great. Score - 9.45, no placement. At the end of the session, even HC didn't understand the low score. That made me feel better because I didn't get it either.

Vault - Dd has really improved on vault from the beginning of the season until now. At this meet, she was piking both vaults. First vault, wow what power, I couldn't believe it was my kid doing that vault, problem was she had so much power her feet hit and then her tush hit. Oh well, she still has another vault. She goes and I don't know what happened, but she ended up just doing the BHS timer. So there goes the season. As I am walking back to my seat, I see HC talking to the judges and smiling. She runs up to catch dd and the next thing I know dd is vaulting again. Crazy, how does that happen she touched the vault on the second attempt. I don't get it, but what's great is she gets another shot and she had to pull the vault of her life off here. I am at a horrible angle for videoing because I walked away before I realized what was going on. There was a huge pillar on the audience's side of the vault so you I could see her RO and I could see her land, but I couldn't really see the table. Dd salutes runs down the strip and I have no idea what happens but she somehow trips and goes flying face first at ground level toward the vault table. That's the last she walked for the night. She had to be carried off the runway. I had no idea what I just saw, it happened so fast. She's crying and I don't know if she is really hurt or if she was crying over a bruised ego, knowing that she was totally out of contention.

I know that I can't go out on the competition floor and she was all the way on the other side of the building. I'm just watching, the trainer comes over and checks her out and then they are carrying her over toward where their stuff was. HC tells me that she thinks she is really hurt. Great, not what I wanted to hear. I told HC my Aunt is with me and she is a nurse and if you (HC) believe that she is hurt I would like my Aunt to look at her and give me her opinion. Aunt looks and decides that we need to go to emergency room and get an x-ray. We do stay for awards, dh carries her over to her team. When she was called up for beam, dh carried her up to podium, I couldn't help but tear up. Everybody but dd and one other girl who hadn't competed all season and was petitioned into States, so that was her 1st competition in a yr didn't make it Regionals.

The good news is that dd's team is the Level 8 NJ State Team Champions. They broke the old state record. Once again dh carried her up to podium and she got to celebrate with her team mates. Team mates let dd take the team trophy home and we brought it into the gym yesterday. After awards, HC came up to dd and told her it was her beam routine that allowed us to take first as a team, if it wasn't for her beam we would of been 2nd. Amazingly our team finished 1st on vault, beam and floor and 2nd on bars. If dd would have hit bars, I can only image we would of taken 1st on bars since we were only behind by .2.

Off to emergency room. Luckily the hospital we went to is the one my Aunt works at, she's the Nursing Administrator there, so she is basically all the nurses boss - it's great for situations like this. They did pre-admission over the phone on the was there, the hospital was by our house and about an hour away from the location of the meet. We get there and the had a wheelchair waiting and wheeled her right in and she was put in a fast track room. She went for x-rays and they found nothing. Dr said it was a foot sprain, wrapped it, gave her crutches and we were home by a reasonable time. I figure she will go back to practice on Thursday and work bars and condition. She can do these things until she can put full pressure on her foot.

So, that's the States report for dd. Not how I thought the day would end, but we are glad it is over. Oh, I did eventually find out why she got a 3rd vault. Turns out during her 2nd vault as she was running full speed down the runway, someone almost stepped on the runway because they didn't know she was vaulting. HC didn't say anything, but the Judges' saw this and asked HC if dd wanted to vault again due to the unfortunate distraction. In retrospect, I guess it would have been best if she didn't do the vault, but who woulda thunk!

Oh lastly, her vault scored ended up being 8.45 for the 1st vault and her AA was 36.25, with 2 falls. Onto uptraining now....

I am so glad that your dd's injury was not serious, that had to be such a scary moment. Great performance and wonderful scores. Congratulations to the team too. I know that after the season she had it must have been a huge disappointment, but what a great thing that HC recognised her for her help with the team score.

Get better wishes so that she can start her uptraing full speed soon!

Thanks! I think she is doing ok. I think it is hard to be one of the 2 that didn't make it to Regionals, while 6 others did. It's especially hard for dd because she had such a great season. Life lesson, shame it has to be learned by a 12 yr old. It will make her stronger though, I am sure of it. ;)

I am so glad that your dd's injury was not serious, that had to be such a scary moment. Great performance and wonderful scores. Congratulations to the team too. I know that after the season she had it must have been a huge disappointment, but what a great thing that HC recognised her for her help with the team score.

Get better wishes so that she can start her uptraing full speed soon!

What an adventure, so glad that she is essentially okay.

Some great scores, that's a huge AA< what was the regionals required score? I love that so much was taken out of her beam and she still got that lovely score. Real shame about bars, but at least now she uptrains and is not stuck doing routines for a few more weeks. For a first year level 8 she is very impressive.

Congratualtions.

Wish there was a Regional required score, but it doesn't work like that here. It's the top 6 AA represent your State, 7th & 8th AA represent the State All Star Team. If there are some States that do not have enough girls for each age group, they will pull from other States. They ended up also taking 9th - 12th place for this purpose this yr.

I'm glad that they took out the FHS on beam because she was so upset from bars that it was carrying over to beam. She did seem to perk up after her beam score.

What an adventure, so glad that she is essentially okay.

Some great scores, that's a huge AA< what was the regionals required score? I love that so much was taken out of her beam and she still got that lovely score. Real shame about bars, but at least now she uptrains and is not stuck doing routines for a few more weeks. For a first year level 8 she is very impressive.

Congratualtions.

Granny - I have been thinking of you and DD.. Wondering how state went.

First let me tell you how grateful I am that DD is okay! How scary to stand there in the stands knowing your DD Is hurt and not being able to go comfort her!

Second, she had and amazing meet! 36.25 with 2 falls? Unbelieveable! She has had an incredible year. Kudos to those great scores. How can a 9.45 not even be good enough for 10th place? HOLY COW!

Since she got hurt is there anyway she can petition into regions?

Hugs to you and DD!

Unfortunately for level 8 you can be petitioned into States, but not Regionals.

It's all good though, I just can't wait until she is back to her good ole self!

Granny - I have been thinking of you and DD.. Wondering how state went.

First let me tell you how grateful I am that DD is okay! How scary to stand there in the stands knowing your DD Is hurt and not being able to go comfort her!

Second, she had and amazing meet! 36.25 with 2 falls? Unbelieveable! She has had an incredible year. Kudos to those great scores. How can a 9.45 not even be good enough for 10th place? HOLY COW!

Since she got hurt is there anyway she can petition into regions?

Hugs to you and DD!

Oh Granny Smith! How scary that must have been to watch! So sorry DD got injured! I'm sure she's dissappointed about regionals. But she has much to be proud of! Congrats on her beam win & her team win!!! Hope she's feeling back to her old self real soon!Good luck with the up training, that's always such a fun time for them.

Sorry to hear about Regionals but Thank God her season is over and she will have plenty of time to heal. Great scores by the way!!!

Wow... is all I can say...I'm glad it's not broken! I hope she gets better quick and starts training for Level 9!!!!She has had a fantastic year... and wow a 36.4 with 2 falls. Congrats on the team win!!!

I am so glad that there where no broken bones.Only the top 10 go ,thats tuff.She had an awesome season and state meet !

First of all, so glad that she wasn't seriously hurt. That is a huge fear for all parents I am sure, your kid is hurt at a meet, but you can't go right over to them. Hugs to both of you.

What an amazing AA score with 2 falls. She did great, especially after a hard start on bars. The mental game of gymnastics is so huge, learning to keep going and try to shake it off is very important and she did it. Especially having to remember changes to her routine, etc.

Congrats on her 6th place for beam and 1st place team!! How exciting for them.

GS, I am glad you reported, I've been looking/waiting for a post from you for a few days now, lol!

I am so sorry she hurt her foot. But I am glad it's something that will heal on its own and did not require more 'work' done on it.

What an amazing girl she is. She had GREAT scores! Plus, she was brave and hung in there for awards---such a trooper, after her big fall on vault rotation.

Hope she can relax and enjoy gym, the pressure of meets is off for a while and she has time to get her new skills.

I know the day did not go as you had planned, you are surely in a bit of burnout after all the pre-meet and intra-meet anxiety (much more intra-meet anxiety than you bargained for, eh??), so DO take some time to relax and rejuvenate yourself! You have done a great job of supporting her, kudos, mom! :)

Hi there,

I've been waiting for a meet report. When the scores were posted, I figured there just had to be a reason for your DD not making it to Regionals. I'm sorry she was injured in but I'm glad it's not serious.

We actually didn't ever get to the meet on Sun. DD's petition was never even acknowledged, which really ticked me off. Then I got sick on Thurs - and had been in bed for 4 days..yesterday was my first day feeling "normal". DD was PO'ed that she missed out on the sweatpants, lol.

Congrats on a great AA score, great beam and team win!
Hopefully she is feeling better and will be able to get back to the gym soon.
I was looking over the results (being from NJ as well) and that is one TOUGH group of girls - and she belongs right in there with them - sometimes it's just a matter of not having you best day, or your best minute....:eek:

Funny you mention the mental game and her remembering taking the stuff out of her routine. She almost missed the salute to the beam judges because she was behind the beam with HC working on what to do in her routine.

I guess that is why they practice so many hours. When the mind stops functioning the body just takes over and does what it knows to do. ;)

First of all, so glad that she wasn't seriously hurt. That is a huge fear for all parents I am sure, your kid is hurt at a meet, but you can't go right over to them. Hugs to both of you.

What an amazing AA score with 2 falls. She did great, especially after a hard start on bars. The mental game of gymnastics is so huge, learning to keep going and try to shake it off is very important and she did it. Especially having to remember changes to her routine, etc.

Congrats on her 6th place for beam and 1st place team!! How exciting for them.

You hit the nail on the head, I was exhausted after the meet. I am sort of glad that she is done and can just uptrain - she will begin to thrive on the new skills and there is always next yr. If she moves to 9, she doesn't have to worry about placements, it would be based on her score at States. :p

GS, I am glad you reported, I've been looking/waiting for a post from you for a few days now, lol!

I am so sorry she hurt her foot. But I am glad it's something that will heal on its own and did not require more 'work' done on it.

What an amazing girl she is. She had GREAT scores! Plus, she was brave and hung in there for awards---such a trooper, after her big fall on vault rotation.

Hope she can relax and enjoy gym, the pressure of meets is off for a while and she has time to get her new skills.

I know the day did not go as you had planned, you are surely in a bit of burnout after all the pre-meet and intra-meet anxiety (much more intra-meet anxiety than you bargained for, eh??), so DO take some time to relax and rejuvenate yourself! You have done a great job of supporting her, kudos, mom! :)

Sorry to hear that you were ill, but also glad to hear that you are feeling better!

Dd does really like the sweatpants, but we were bummed that the airbrush guy wasn't there. This is her first yr she didn't get a airbrush t-shirt.

Hi there,

I've been waiting for a meet report. When the scores were posted, I figured there just had to be a reason for your DD not making it to Regionals. I'm sorry she was injured in but I'm glad it's not serious.

We actually didn't ever get to the meet on Sun. DD's petition was never even acknowledged, which really ticked me off. Then I got sick on Thurs - and had been in bed for 4 days..yesterday was my first day feeling "normal". DD was PO'ed that she missed out on the sweatpants, lol.

Yeah, it's a pretty tough age group, but these are basically the girls she has competed against through the yrs so she knew what she was up against.

And, you are right, it just wasn't her day or minute! In retrospect, I guess the 3rd vault wasn't such a hot idea - but it seemed good at that time!

She's not too happy about her placements, but she just doesn't have to look at them! ;) At any other meet, her 36+ would have been fine by her, but not this one.

Tomorrow, the work starts again - she needs to get back in the gym!

Congrats on a great AA score, great beam and team win!
Hopefully she is feeling better and will be able to get back to the gym soon.
I was looking over the results (being from NJ as well) and that is one TOUGH group of girls - and she belongs right in there with them - sometimes it's just a matter of not having you best day, or your best minute....:eek:

Wow, what a story! So gald she wasn't seriously hurt. Great scores!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back