Parents "Awards" ideas

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mariposa

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Since Abby changed gyms, she won't get to go to the awards banquet and she is a bit bummed about it, but I know she won't remember that it is happening as I took it off the calendar.

I don't know what awards she would have gotten besides a level 4 pin, so I am trying to put together her own end of season awards package.

I found the USA replica leo that she has wanted forever at a meet we went to a few weeks ago (and great buy as well!!) and got that for the occasion, of course I didn't know that we would be leaving the gym then, but luckily I saved it for awards day anyway. :) I was going to get her a level 4 pin, but since she is doing level 4 again, thought that maybe I should hold off because she will possibly get one at the end of next year at her new gym. She didn't get 9s or 1st place or anything, so none of those pins apply either. I had gotten her the level 4 bear at a meet once, too.

Any other ideas from what they usually get at end of year/season awards?

Thanks!

]If you check out the local awards shops (or ebay) , they can make an award for you. Ebay has a really cool looking one that you can customize with Abby's name and information for no additional charge. It's $19.95 plus shipping. I'm sure that the local sporting goods/trophy awards shops can come up with something similar too.

Here's the link to the ebay one.
FEMALE GYMNASTICS GYMNAST TROPHY SCULPTURE GIFT AWARD - eBay (item 330292038461 end time May-03-09 18:02:52 PDT)
c328_1.JPG

The only thing given out at our awards banquet are some awards for scores and doing well at states. Also they do a team spirit award and most improved award, usually one on each team. The first year my DD got one little plaque for making the competition team. It was rteally nice because on pre-team we always felt like we were in limbo. I love the pin ideas...we collect them for my DD. There are several site that have little gift ideas, posters, plaques, statues, ect...our team also does a "team gift" like one year it was PJ bottoms, one year it was a windbreaker w/gym logo, and last black GK gym shorts.

Going back to the pins though, we buy them when she does something "wow" like got her first 36, and a first place on bars, her first 9.0 on floor...you can decide what special things she did this past season and maybe order a couple to put on her gym bag? Our banquet was mostly a dinner and a nice time for gymmies to wear their hair down...literally they look so different with hair down and dresses! Maybe you could do a special dinner for Abby? Tell her pick her fav place to eat, dress up and present her with whatever you decided to buy her. Make it a recognition time to discuss what she did this season...which was AWESOME stuff!

I would get her the level 4 pin anyway. It was a big achievement for her to compete level 4 at 6 years old. Hopefully next year she will be able to have some '9' pins to add to it.

I like the idea of the Level 4 pin too. My dd got one at the state meet last year and she has it on her competition bag. You will definitely be able to add those 9.0 pins next year and hopefully some 1st place ones too.

Meg

The pin is a really nice idea, and cheap! Gotta love that. We collect them for when she does something special also (like the 1st 9.0, etc.). Our old gym used to do an award like the one I posted above with the gymmies name, level and year on it. Not sure what all is done at our gym this year, our 1 yr. anniversary is coming up next month. I know that the owner is having shirts made up for the Level 5 team for being State Champions, but not sure what else if anything is done. The owner takes the parents/gymmies out to eat though. That will be nice.

Good luck, I'm sure that what ever you decide to do for Abby will be great!

Thanks everyone!! I will see what I can find and then present it to her at her own awards ceremony. Or I might wait and see when they have the end of year party at her new gym and have those things for her since she won't get anything there. :D

I would get her the level 4 pin anyway. It was a big achievement for her to compete level 4 at 6 years old. Hopefully next year she will be able to have some '9' pins to add to it.

I like the idea of the Level 4 pin too. My dd got one at the state meet last year and she has it on her competition bag. You will definitely be able to add those 9.0 pins next year and hopefully some 1st place ones too.

Meg

Definitely hoping she has some 9.0s next year!

The pin is a really nice idea, and cheap! Gotta love that. We collect them for when she does something special also (like the 1st 9.0, etc.). Our old gym used to do an award like the one I posted above with the gymmies name, level and year on it. Not sure what all is done at our gym this year, our 1 yr. anniversary is coming up next month. I know that the owner is having shirts made up for the Level 5 team for being State Champions, but not sure what else if anything is done. The owner takes the parents/gymmies out to eat though. That will be nice.

Good luck, I'm sure that what ever you decide to do for Abby will be great!

I like the trophy idea with her name, 2008-2009 and level 4. We have a nice trophy shop here that lets you design online and pick up local, pretty cool.

Do you have a photo montage of her meets? If you have some really good action pics, you could put them on a cd and make a montage. Or, do a photo dvd slide show with her favorite music and you can add text also. One of the mom's at our gym did that for my daughter with photos of her state competition, set to the music from High School Musical (which my dd is obsessed with!!) and it is absolutely precious!! At the end of it are photos of dd and her teammates goofing around after the meet and the text reads "thanks for a great season..to our favorite gymnastics champion". I cried, it was so sweet and meaningful. We will treasure it forever!

I agree too--Next year she'll have other pins to get. She deserves a level 4 now!

Really the end of year banquets are more about going to eat in a nice place and watching pics/videos of all the teams. Our state gives all the girls pins when they get to their state meet that have the year of the meet and the level. Gymmie has all of those on her gym bag. Since Abby made states as a L4, you might want to check with the state associaton and see if they have something like that.

Last year, our booster club gave a unique statue to each girl with their name and highest score for the year engraved on it and a backpack with the gym name and the gymnast's 1st name on it. Have to say the backpacks are quite sturdy since my gymmie has used it as her carry on for out of state meets, daily gym bag and gym bag for all meets. Of course, they got a discount on the price since they ordered so many.

Does her new gym have a pro shop? You might want to give her something with their name/logo on it. Might make her really feel part of the new gym! Then take her out to eat at one of her fav places.

Thanks guys. I actually did see at the gym yesterday a t-shirt that says XXX Gymnastics team, so might get her one of those. :) Online I found a cute trophy for cheap, but not sure what shipping will end up being. I was going to put on it her name, Level 4 and 2008-2009. :D

They have level pins at her gym, so I will get her one of those as well. She got a "Made it to State" pin at States last fall.

Everyone is right. I think she deserves a level 4 pin. She should have some other pins I can add to it. They have the 35 club, 9.0 on events, etc, which hopefully she will attain sometime during this next year! :)

our gymmie switched gyms a couple of years ago before the end of year party at her old gym. She was included in the EOY party at her new gym, even receiving the same gift as the rest of the girls - it was a mini backpack w/the gym's name on it.

maybe you could get Abby some new hair elastics in her new team colors?
or a new scorebook for the new season? I've seen them on ebay for $2.75

Our Gym doesn't do an "end of year award banquet" We parents purchase "pins" etc at various meets and that is standard for most of the gyms around here. Instead Our gym has a fun day where the team goes to some fun activity like an amusement park, skating rink, beach etc over the summer. They also get sleep overs at the gym - they love this I don't know why but I guess you have to be a gym nut to love it that much LOL.

This year we noticed there are now charms to go on a charm bracelet or necklace available with lots of these same type of themes as the pins. My DD's Warm up jacket is full with pins and we have moved on to the jewelry.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back