Pike in L4 vault (mirrored from parents section)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
Any tips on the vault so that she doesn't pike anymore. One of the level 7's said she is reaching down, instead of out. Could this be one of the problems?

In my experience, the most common cause of piking is leaning too far forward on the board. Here are a couple things I would try:

1) Start the run a little further back (say 6 to 12 inches), forcing her to take a longer hurdle

2) Tell her to think about pushing the board forward with her feet as she hits it; this will cause her to get her feet in front of her as she hits the board.

3) Tell her to start lifting her chest in the last couple steps of her run. THis will help her keep her chest up in the hurdle.

My STRONG suggestion is to have your daughter listen to her coaches. I am sure they are working on fixing her gymnastics.

Having her listen to your corrections (no matter where you got them) instead of her coaches can be VERY confusing to a young athlete and is dangerous.

Last edited:
My STRONG suggestion is to have your daughter listen to her coaches. I am sure they are working on fixing her gymnastics.

Having her listen to your corrections (no matter where you got them) instead of her coaches can be VERY confusing to a young athlete and is dangerous.

This is absolutely true; it is always better for corrections to come from the coaches than from the parents.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back