how to stretch wrists

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi Everyone! My wrists have been hurting me, so I now use wrist guards to tumble. However, I wondered how everyone stretches there wrists, or what is the correct way. I feel like my wrists hurt less when I don't stretch them, and as soon as I do stretch them (or at least the way my gym and I do) they instantly start hurting. So my question is, how are you supposed to stretch your wrists? THANKS!

Are you doing any strengthening exercises? That should be your first priority. I haven't found that it's all that important to force stress your wrists. Getting them loose and ready to tumble is different than stretching them past a natural angle. Just rolling your fists around a few times and flexing back and forth should cut it.

Really though, it sounds like you have some serious strength issues. Try doing some basic wrist strengthening exercises with either soup cans or light dumbells. It could really help you fix the problem.

Here are some ideas for wrist stretches and exercises. A lot of the gymnasts I coach have found that doing wrist exercises with light weights, soup cans, or full water bottles has made a big difference in their wrist pain.

I haven't found that it's all that important to force stress your wrists. Getting them loose and ready to tumble is different than stretching them past a natural angle.

Well right there, I must be stretching them wrong. I stretch them by placing my palms on the ground, and my wrists facing away from me (fingers pointing at me) then I sit back so they are past an unnatural angle. I guess I should stop that stretch!

I will also try conditioning them to see if that helps.

Thanks!

When I used to do jiu jitsu, stretching the wrists was a part of the warm-up. Maybe you could find a local martial arts center and ask them to show you some stretching exercises for your wrists.

Well right there, I must be stretching them wrong. I stretch them by placing my palms on the ground, and my wrists facing away from me (fingers pointing at me) then I sit back so they are past an unnatural angle. I guess I should stop that stretch!

I will also try conditioning them to see if that helps.

Thanks!

Well as long as that isn't painful in your joint it should be fine. I stretched my wrists that way the whole time I was in club, and I have absolutely no wrist pain. It's when that angle is hurting your wrist joint that it becomes a problem. If it's stretching the muscles in your forearm, that's fine. Like I said, I don't think the way you're stretching is causing your pain. Weakness in your wrists is what's doing that. That's why it's important for you to do strengthening exercises.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back