Interesting, different RO entry hand placement I came across today.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

BlairBob

Most people and coaches I know use a version of the cartwheel hands being hands placed sideways in relation to the direction the gymnast is facing.

Some coaches T-action the second hand in line of the first hand or off line around the side. Obviously on beam it's inline.

Our HC showed me a different version where the first hand is placed fingers forward with the second hand sideways. He says it does not allow for the gymnast to turn their chest out early which many gymnasts do.

I thought it was goofy but I can keep all my RO very inline with good turnover on the floor. It took a few tries but works well also for CW on beam ( and presumably RO ).

A guy I know online says he seen others do it, possibly even a few elites. Our HC said another coach was using it some time ago and showed him. He said that coach is now at a big college school coaching.

That acquaintance did not this could put pressure on the elbow with gymnasts who have naturally hyperextended elbows.

First hand is placed similar to how you place your hand in front handspring. Second hand is placed with fingers pointing to side and is turned 90 degrees from first hand.

I like almost placing the first hand forward of the first/lunge foot instead of on the line. That way the second hand is placed on the center line. I need to take some video to see what I look like but it feels pretty good.

It sounds completely *** backwards to anything I've done before and would make sense to me but I need to do some video of it and try something like a BHS series or whip to layout.

I tried it and its AMAZING
i did my first cartwheel on low beam :eek: using this hand placement
idk why its so much better, but it is!
=)

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me but it works. It really doesn't make sense to me on beam but it works there too.

My only concern is with those gymnasts and tumblers with natural hyperextension in their elbows and who are also weak in their arms. Weak elbows/upper arms and natural hyperextension has fielded some complaints from those tumblers but they have said it isn't bad but they feel the pressure.

Turning the front hand in isn't new to me (although maybe not that much) but which 90 degrees is the second hand turned? One way would just be normal straight hands, the other (kind of like reverse grip hand placement, the way you'd turn your hand for a 1/2 pirouette) hurt my elbow just doing a cartwheel and I kind of couldn't complete the 1/4 turn at the end.

First hand is placed similar to how you place your hand in front handspring. Second hand is placed with fingers pointing to side and is turned 90 degrees from first hand.

so the first hand fingers are pointing forwards and the second hand has fingers pointing in the direction of your head?? making a T shape but the opposite way you normally make a T shape?? lol I agree with Geoffrey, I need a diagram or something!

I've never seen this technique before. I have found that having the gymnast place the first hand fingers pointing out, and the second fingers turned pointing back toward where their feet are coming from helps to get their feet to come directly over their head as well as facilitate a good push. I really like this method for teaching RO entry vaults.

Funny sport, gymnastics is...

We have been teaching our kids to do rounoffs with both hands facing forward for the past two years. The degree to which they turn the second hand depends on the athlete, but that first hand always has to go to the floor like a handspring or tinsica, and the second hand turns perpendicular to the first at the very most.

The kids also hurdle with their dominant hand high, after which they reach straight down to the floor with it. Their second hand reaches forward across the floor, delaying the turn. The placement of the second hand encourages quick rotation to vertical.

Contemporary Chinese gymnasts tend to tumble like this, and it appears to work for them.

so the first hand fingers are pointing forwards and the second hand has fingers pointing in the direction of your head?? making a T shape but the opposite way you normally make a T shape?? lol I agree with Geoffrey, I need a diagram or something!

definatly!
but it sounds like it works so ill give it a shot:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back