Off Topic JBS & Audra

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was wondering how everything is going with the move? I am sure you have had some time to adjust:D How the girls are doing? And how life in club gym has been for you - do you find it any different than rec gym? JBS if I remember correctly you are training level 6 girls... I remember you once mentioned that you only did so much conditioning as a gymnast, do you have your team do more/less? & for Audra, I wonder if you get to be with your little angels a little more or if you are coaching as well? Hope all is great:p nic

The move went well, but we aren't totally unpacked. We have rented the lower portion of a big old house. It's about a mile from the gym.

The girls are doing good. Our 2 year old just got a big girl bed (toddler bed).

About work....my job in California was much easier. I had better hours and I knew everything about the gym. Now I have terrible hours and I work my butt off. Overall, I like my new job much better because it is a competitive gym. I was management in California and management here. Coaching is my time to relax....it doesn't matter what or where I'm coaching, I love it.

Right now I coach Level 6, I help with 4 & 5, I coach rec, preschool, camp, birthdays and more (I coach 40+ hours per week plus management hours). I have 11 level 6's and they come 12 hours per week (11 once school starts). They condition about 45 min. per practice (135 min per week). That schedule is set by the gym. 30 minutes of conditioning per practice would be more my style. I would say 20-25 min for level 5 and I like doing conditioning at each event for level 4.

Last edited:
So nice to hear your family is doing well & enjoying living closer to home:D... I missed california terribly when I moved away & still miss it sometimes. WOW a BIG girl bed???? that had to be an exciting day:D... So many different programs to think about?? You sound very busy wearing so many hats in the gym!

I had always thought that gym was pretty competitive w/TOPS and all.. Not that hours always matter - a lot of gym time can get wasted, but it is not so often anymore that you hear of level 6's going 10 hours. Even though since the majority of the routines are known, it always seemed doable to me. How many hours for lvl 4's/5's? Does your gym still participate in TOPS? I have a friend that may be moving up that way, and I will have to have her check out your gym, because she was also interested in a little lower level commitment - less team time, but she also did want to do a TOPS program for more conditioning & to work on a few higher level skills.

All of our best to you and family! - nic

Thanks so much for checking up on us! I'm sorry I havent been that great at checking and responding to posts. You would think being home would give me more time but somehow I am just as busy.

As for how its going, other than not seeing Daddy as much we love it!! I really enjoy being home with the girls. We live in a great place with lots to do in walking distance. We spend many days at the park and just taking walks. You would think we would have had that in San Diego, but we had to drive everywhere. We have met some great people and Maggie has already made new friends. The true test will be when winter hits of course.

Although I love being home I do miss being in the gym as well. I have been in the gym since I was 10 and never took more than a few months off with working out and coaching. I have gone in to work some dance with JBS's girls, I like being able to stay connected to it without having to do as many hours.

Audra, how nice to hear everything is going so well:D! Of course... life can be so very busy - even when you are staying home (trust me it gets much busier as the kids get older). For now, it is so wonderful to spend so much time with your little darlings - especially taking those walks and enjoy the simple things in life. Treasure it, in a few years, you will look back and ask where did the time go? ;) - it just flies by. My oldest went off to high school this year, I can still remember him jumping around swinging his arms and legs at his dad and his little brother (that is now 4 inches taller then him) claiming to be a Power Ranger - now he is like Power what? Who are they? LOL

Winter is coming - yikes... It was wonderful in the beginning - so beautiful - but after a few years I really missed my suntanning Christmas:p

It is nice you can still get involved in the gym, especially since it means so much to you... best wishes to you and your fam:) - nic

JBS, Why do you like coaching competitive better?

I pushed Gyminny as close to competitive as I could. The demo team had a great sense of "TEAM". We started doing the mock meets. Many of the girls (and guys) I have coached over the years have left Gyminny to go to competitive gyms. That is very hard for me to handle.

It's not that I like competitive better, it's the fact that it is an option. I am now at a gym that offers rec. gymnastics, competitive gymnastics, competitive cheer leading, and we are starting a demo team. I can offer each student a variety of programs without the need to go to another gym. Most of our birthday parties are done by the team girls....so I can even offer them their first job.

Even though this gym is much smaller, I will end up with kids that stay with me longer. More students like you. And no, they'll never be as cool as my Gyminny Kids.

Also, the way I coached you guys is exactly the same as the way I coach my level 6's. The only difference is that they come 11 hours per week.

So nice to hear your family is doing well & enjoying living closer to home:D... I missed california terribly when I moved away & still miss it sometimes. WOW a BIG girl bed???? that had to be an exciting day:D... So many different programs to think about?? You sound very busy wearing so many hats in the gym!

I had always thought that gym was pretty competitive w/TOPS and all.. Not that hours always matter - a lot of gym time can get wasted, but it is not so often anymore that you hear of level 6's going 10 hours. Even though since the majority of the routines are known, it always seemed doable to me. How many hours for lvl 4's/5's? Does your gym still participate in TOPS? I have a friend that may be moving up that way, and I will have to have her check out your gym, because she was also interested in a little lower level commitment - less team time, but she also did want to do a TOPS program for more conditioning & to work on a few higher level skills.

All of our best to you and family! - nic

Sorry I didn't answer this:

Level 4: 7 hours per week
Level 5: 8 hours per week
Level 6: 11 hours per week
Level 7 & 8: 12-15 hours per week
Level 9 &10: 18 hours per week

Right now, we are not doing TOPs. If you had to look at an overall team focus, it would be getting college scholarships for our gymnasts. We do have a couple potential elites, and they are being trained as such, but we do not train everyone that way as it creates major problems with burnout. We do currently have 5 or 6 level 10's with scholarship potential. Last year we put one of our girls through to U of I on a full ride.

We definitely work higher level skills on a regular basis.

Last edited:
I loved how you coached Gyminny Kids and I will always consider you my coach. I am so happy that you like your new gym but you can always call Gyminny Kids your gym. Your Gyminny Kids will always remember you, you are such an awesome coach. :)

You and Audra have taught me just about all my gymnastics skills and you guys are amazing. When I am older I want to coach and be as good as you guys! MWT is lucky to have you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back