Parents wish me luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JessMom

Proud Parent
We're going to do a Hair test run tonight LOL! First meet is coming up and our new gym requires CURLS! UUUGGGHHHH!!!!!!! :eek: My little ones hair is pin straight and fine. . . I don't have high expectations.

Any advise or words of encouragement are welcome :D

I'm told hairspray . . hairspray and more hairspray ha ha ha ha

When doing dd's curls, I put her hair up in a high pony. Then I'd seperate into sections, depending on how small or big you want the curls. Sounds like your dd would need smaller ones with thin hair. I use a sculpting gel on dry hair. I twist the hair first, then roll up into the foam curler. I did her hair the night before a meet so I would put a shower cap on in overnight. I would then take out the curlers in the morning, or afternoon, depending on her arrival time. Then, just pick out the curls and spray them with hair spray. Good luck! :)

If that doesn't work, can you buy her one of those hair pieces that's already curled in a color to match hers??

My dd wore curls last year and how I did it was (she wore two pony tails) with her hair wet I took a section (I did very small sections) and sprayed gel spray (I used Aussie) then rolled the hair around the curler. (I used those soft curlers that you twist) then I used hair spray. By the time I was done she looked like she had two cotton balls on her head. She slept in them. The next day I put the hair dryer on them just to make sure she was dry. Then I hair sprayed again and then took out the curlers. Then sprayed again. They always held up very well.

Good luck! No words of advice--thankfully our gym doesn't require any certain hairstyle.

Our gym requires all girls in compulsary to wear their hair in a bun. Now, I am about as hair "stupid" as they come. I have always had short hair for that reason LOL. I ended up getting watching tons of you tube videos on making a bun (you can find practically anything on you tube I have discovered) as well as asking a friend from the gym to do the first couple for me while I watched. Last time, I was so happy when I put up her hair on Friday night for the before meet practice and she was still able to wear it to Saturday's meet with only a few touch-ups. I think I would be equally in trouble with a curl requirement so I hope they don't change on me now LOL

Dawn

We're going to do a Hair test run tonight LOL! First meet is coming up and our new gym requires CURLS! UUUGGGHHHH!!!!!!! :eek: My little ones hair is pin straight and fine. . . I don't have high expectations.

Any advise or words of encouragement are welcome :D

I'm told hairspray . . hairspray and more hairspray ha ha ha ha

LOL, my advice? Purchase the sew in cheer curls heehee... seriously if they must be her own hair, I like the (of course) ION spray gel to high pony, then again with each curl into the conair rollers from Target, white squishy clothy material.. ok sleep in them and now the very most important part :) - "Got to Be Glued" hairspray each curl when you take it out. We have to do curls for the nutcracker and peter pan every year, and my kiddo's pin curls stay all day through 2 shows.

What time is her meet? I am sending you 30.00 to go to the hairdresser. :D

Sean

LOL! not much confidence in me huh? yea, me neither

ha ha ha . . . seriously looking into those cheer curl things! might be worth it!

It has nothing to do with confidence, I just like taking the easy way out... :D

It has nothing to do with confidence, I just like taking the easy way out... :D

HA HA H A:D Don't get me wrong . . . I love an easy way out . . . which is why I'm google-ing cheer curls. looks like for 20 $ I can get a hair piece and just have to learn to do a bun . . . which I think may be easier!

My daughter has worn her hair about everyway you can think of. If yours has long hair try to get it a shorter by doing two ponytails one high one low. then take the bottom one and pull it up from the bottom behind the ponytail holder. Once you pull it up tight add it to the top pony. it will take inches off and make the curling easier. Also recommend GOT to be GLUED it hold great and last for until you wash her hair. I also agree smaller sections on hard to hold hair and make sure after setting you use hair spray, let it dry and hair spray again. I will also hairspray it as I'm taking each section out.:goodvibes: Good Luck

eeeeewwwwww sticky hair spray everywhere!

we'll see what happens tomorrow morning . . . . . the pony tail part looks so messy already . . . .

HA HA H A:D Don't get me wrong . . . I love an easy way out . . . which is why I'm google-ing cheer curls. looks like for 20 $ I can get a hair piece and just have to learn to do a bun . . . which I think may be easier!

Seriously, if I had to do meet curls - I would purchase these... they are really cute, make the girls look even cuter - & take WAY less effort LOL.

A favorite meet-time saying of my gymmie and mine is, "It's not about the hair!" :D

I'm so glad that our gym doesn't have a hair requirement! While I think dd's hair does look like a champ's hair :), we definitely don't fixate on it.

A favorite meet-time saying of my gymmie and mine is, "It's not about the hair!" :D

It's not about the hair .. . it's not about the hair . . gonna keep saying that to myself until I feel better LOL!

Our old gym had no requirements and we did braids . . . love it! so easy! my friend did it the night before and I'd just have to spray it in the morning.

Update

for 6.99 I ordered fake curls . . just in case . .

So the first attempt didn't come out sooo bad. The curls look decent . . we'll see how long htey hold. The rest of her head is just a mess. hair flyaway everywhere. I tried to spray it down . . . eeeww the stickynesss! Can you tell I was never into big 80s hair . . i hate hairspray . ..

My hope is that I can slick it back wet - with gel - toss it in a messy bun - and cover it with the fake curls. So I have a plan A and a Plan B . . I feel almost ready . . . ooohhhh maybe I should have her try on her leo! LOL!

wonder if this link will work?? If it does . . this is the results of our test

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2038621&id=1115273814&l=a189aea0d9

Last edited:
All I can say is thank goodness DD gym requires a bun. We have a mock meet today, so I am sending her off to school with her bun in. Here are pictures..................note this is a "Sock Bun".

Barb

Login | Facebook

I think the hair trial went well! Slick back the flaways and good to go!
Our gym doesn't require a specific hairdo but I think I prefer the look of a bun.
Clean and no distractions!
Good luck at the meet!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back