Parents What to do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

medic3188

I have two gym kids. My dd is 7 she is on the level 3 team and had many level 4 skills except bars. My ds is 5 and tested as a level 3 but they think he is too young. So my problem is that when my dd's coach left the gym put a 15 year old and a newer coach and the practices are terrible. There is no structure the kids stand around a lot and this past week they were short a level 1 coach and had the level 1 kids join their practice. I have been unhappy at this gym but I thought it would be better when she got to the team.
During the summber my dd does privates at a gym by her grandparents. The coach there said she is a 3/4. To complicate matters we are moving to florida in a few months. My goal was for her to pick up as many skills as possible, but it does not seem like this is happening. I just wonder if it is worth moving them for at the most 3 months.
I also get very upset watching her practices, as well as all the other parents do also. I would love some feedback.

Maybe she would be better off in a gym that does not compete level 3. I think kids in gyms that start to compete at level 5 probably aquire skills faster as they are not spending as much time learning routines.

We do not begin to compete in Quebec until the year of your 8th birthday, so that means it is all about getting skills.

I can hear your frustration, it is not fun to feel that way. If she is happy maybe leave her there, but if not it is maybe worth a change.

When you move to Florida, perhaps then look for a gym that does not compete 1,2,3,4 as they are such funny levels. Though I do like the level 4 beam and vault, the bars and floor are a little odd and I hear that they are even taking out the front limber thing too.

It seems that training towards level 5 makes the most sense of all.

Of course this is just my opinion and I'm in Canada.:D

Have the parents approached the owner or head coach to ask why they have a 15 yo in charge of a L3 team? I'm not slamming 15 yos, but it is very hard to find one who is mature enough to keep 6-8yos? focused and on task. If the parents say nothing then this girl(and I feel bad for her) will still be coaching and they'll continue to dump other classes in when they're short of instructors. This may tell you that the gym does not value the L3 team all that much.

With all the moving your dd will be doing in a few months I don't know that I would be all that eager to uproot her now and move her to another gym for a couple of months, then move again. The only thing I would do if making a short move to another gym would be to put her in a pre-team program for L4 or L5---just let her work on skills until you move. Every gym is structured a little differently with some skills taught in other ways which could turn out to be very confusing for your dd in the end.

What does your dd want? Is she happy enough to stick it out for 3mos? Does she have to be on the L3 team? Is there a pre-team class at the current gym for L4 she could be put in knowing that you won't be staying? Just thinking of options to minimize stress as there will be some when you go to FL.

Let us know how it all plays out!

There is a gym that is supposed to be very good. It is where you would send your kid if you want them to make nationals. I was thinking of sending here there for a pre level 4 program. All the gyms in fl compete level 3. It is big there. So that won't be a problem. We have a lot of emotions invested in the old gym but you are right they do not value the level 3 girls.

There is a gym that is supposed to be very good. It is where you would send your kid if you want them to make nationals. I was thinking of sending here there for a pre level 4 program. All the gyms in fl compete level 3. It is big there. So that won't be a problem. We have a lot of emotions invested in the old gym but you are right they do not value the level 3 girls.

Nationals for Level 3 and Pre Level 4? Seriously?

No...nationals for upper levels. They are the only gym that has level 9 through elite. I went there yesterday and they are going to let her try the level 4 team. The time committment is a lot more. It will be 9 hours a week. We shall see.

9 hours for a level 4 team? I go 2 hours a week ( now that school has started) for a level 3 team. I went 4 during the summer, but that still isn't even half or that.

9 hours for a level 4 team? I go 2 hours a week ( now that school has started) for a level 3 team. I went 4 during the summer, but that still isn't even half or that.
Im level 1-2 and I go 6 hours a week!

Last edited by a moderator:
During the summber my dd does privates at a gym by her grandparents. The coach there said she is a 3/4. To complicate matters we are moving to florida in a few months. My goal was for her to pick up as many skills as possible, but it does not seem like this is happening. I just wonder if it is worth moving them for at the most 3 months.
I also get very upset watching her practices, as well as all the other parents do also. I would love some feedback.

We had that problem with a summer coach last yr she let the kids goof off and they got nothing done. I finally ended up volunteering and would time handstands and count reps for the kids standing in line that were supposed to be doing some of their conditioning while waiting. That helped the coach work with skills and the kids couldnt just pretend to be doing it except when the coach was looking. Of course our program is really small so this was okay here. Our next closest gym is 2 hrs away. I know how frustrating it is to drive to another town , pay through the nose, and watch your dd goof off and do nothing. Good luck I'm not sure what I would do though in your case.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back