Gyms in the Dallas/Plano/Frisco area of Texas

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know of Woga, Elite Champions, Eagles Wings, and Kurt Thomas gymnastics. I was wondering if there are any other programs. A friend of mine is looking around for gyms for her daughter who is competing L4. The current gym she is at is more recreationally competitive, which she thought was good since it was her first year balancing school and gym. School is going very well and her DD is hooked on the sport so she figures it wouldn't hurt to look around for a more seriously competitive atmosphere. Any advice on gyms in that area would be appreciated, thanks!

*edit* I googled and keep getting random rec links, smaller programs, or stuff about Woga. I know there's got to be more gyms in the area though!

Last edited:
There are definitely a lot of gyms in the area. It mostly depends on where exactly she is located, how far she's willing to travel, and how competitive an atmosphere she is looking for. You definitely hit on the big ones in that immediate area. Some others that are kind of on the outskirts of that depending on where they are located: Canyon Creek in Richardson, Zenith in McKinney, Texas Dreams in Coppell, and Achievers in Denton.

Bah I forgot to include that I'd love to hear from anyone with personal experience with any clubs mentioned too. Post, pm or whatever! Looking specifically for a facility with an air conditioner and an in ground foam pit. Either I'm blind or websites are leaving out facility pics! She's looking for a gym to call home for awhile, and Texas summers are INTENSE just standing still let alone flipping around!

I gave my friend the link to this thread. Hopefully she does the right thing and comes out of posting obscurity ^^

We are in the Dallas area... We went to Eagles Wings for 3 years and just went to Zenith in Mckinney because our coach moved ( can give details if you like). Zenith is getting ready to start an awesome new facility near 121 and 75. They have some of the best coaches available. I can give more details. Hopefully will be done near spring. From what I see it's going to have alot to offer. If you have any questions about any of the gyms, please ask.... we know a lot of people at other gyms in the area and can give you an opinion. There are so many good ones available! :)

We are in the Dallas area... We went to Eagles Wings for 3 years and just went to Zenith in Mckinney because our coach moved ( can give details if you like). Zenith is getting ready to start an awesome new facility near 121 and 75. They have some of the best coaches available. I can give more details. Hopefully will be done near spring. From what I see it's going to have alot to offer. If you have any questions about any of the gyms, please ask.... we know a lot of people at other gyms in the area and can give you an opinion. There are so many good ones available! :)

Oooh cool! I like Zenith's website. I'm not totally sure yet but I think that new location is pretty close too, starting in Spring would allow her to finish AGA season with her team I think, so that's nice. I don't know if she's checked it yet though. Her DD started at Eagle too, if you don't mind me asking, do you know who is coaching the compulsories there? I'll write a blurb on her story, I'm a big fan of writing walls of text :p

Apparently she had her robh and a kip (albeit inconsistent, but she was able to get up!) at 6. They elected to not move her up to team because of a personality conflict with DD and a coach. It wasn't anything serious or dramatic, but they weren't sure about competing yet anyway so they didn't move forward. She switched to Woga for a year or so, but there was no compulsory team at her location while she was there. The draw to that program was not being held back in skills as long as she could do them safely. After making it to the highest levels of rec, she made it known that DD wanted to compete. DD joined the first team she tried out for, it was close to home and no pressure. She had been working on Level 4 skills for so long that by the time she got on a team she was understandably bored. She's doing her best still though, and now that she's proven school and sleep won't suffer from gym she's itching to get more challenged; and the prospect of driving a bit further or working out longer doesn't make her parents as nervous as it once did since she loves it.

I have another question, sorry I'm full of them! When you guys shop around for a new gym, do you bring your DD's? Or do you go in alone, meet the coaches, see the facility, and then narrow it down to a few gyms for your DD's to visit too? I'm just wondering this because I have zero experience in having a competitive child. Would it be completely ridiculous to go in as parents, with a dvd of DD's routines and skills plus all her competitive stats written down? That way the parents could see the facility, meet the coaches, consider the distance, and figure out the financials without DD giving them doe eyed 'I want to play on the equipment puhleeez!' looks; the powers that be could still get a look at the gymnast and both can decide on actually bringing her in from there. Is that nuts?

I really don't think you need all that. Unless the program is super selective at that level (generally not the case with a level 4 who sounds to have all the skills down), I've never really heard of bringing a DVD or competitive stats. Basic knowledge of what she has and is working for to facilitate the conversation, but many people in the midst of this conversation wouldn't even have the ability to review a DVD. This isn't a college recruiting process ;) I'd seriously narrow the options looking at realistic distance and fit (as in practice hours and what seems to be the focus, from the sound of it they aren't looking for a gym that would stress home school, for example), and then contact about setting up an evaluation or practice drop in at those few gyms. You can get the info like tuition, whether they even have team space available, etc on the phone. That all plus distance should considerably narrow things. The next step is evaluation or try-out practice.

I really don't think you need all that. Unless the program is super selective at that level (generally not the case with a level 4 who sounds to have all the skills down), I've never really heard of bringing a DVD or competitive stats. Basic knowledge of what she has and is working for to facilitate the conversation, but many people in the midst of this conversation wouldn't even have the ability to review a DVD. This isn't a college recruiting process ;) I'd seriously narrow the options looking at realistic distance and fit (as in practice hours and what seems to be the focus, from the sound of it they aren't looking for a gym that would stress home school, for example), and then contact about setting up an evaluation or practice drop in at those few gyms. You can get the info like tuition, whether they even have team space available, etc on the phone. That all plus distance should considerably narrow things. The next step is evaluation or try-out practice.

Haha I'm a serious tech nerd, if they couldn't put a dvd in a tray or didn't have computers I think I'd die a little inside! I get what your saying, it just seems like the easiest thing in the world what with youtube and all to get a look as well as have a conversation. Maybe I just cave to kid pressure though, it's entirely possible. If my DD was adamant about a gym it could sway me, I'll be honest lol.

Haha I'm a serious tech nerd, if they couldn't put a dvd in a tray or didn't have computers I think I'd die a little inside! I get what your saying, it just seems like the easiest thing in the world what with youtube and all to get a look as well as have a conversation. Maybe I just cave to kid pressure though, it's entirely possible. If my DD was adamant about a gym it could sway me, I'll be honest lol.

Oh no, I totally agree they should call around and look what seems to be realistic and has the best staffing for their goals first, but I think once they get those basic stats it might be surprising how quick the options fall off. After that, if they're left with the top 3, I'd just schedule an evaluation or try out practice and each one and encourage their daughter that they're going to at least look at all three and then see which one she clicks with best. I'm not sure I'd go in person without scheduling an appointment (gyms are just too busy, they might feel brushed off and get the wrong idea) and after they call if they're still interested and express interest, the gym will probably suggest an evaluation or tryout with their daughter rather than a meeting with the parents (just based on how things work here - admittedly I'm pretty far from Texas).

no problem in asking questions...;) When our coach left , we looked around because of the gym being so far away. What I did was call and then most allowed you to come visit the facility. I took DD with me. She is the one that is going to spend all the time there. lol All in all I spoke with many people from different gyms.. ... you get to know a lot from competing here. There are pros and cons of every gym...bottom line... it is what their DD will be comfortable with. Our optional coaches are not how can I put this....(well they both are from out of the country)..lol...But are excellent in producing elite gymnasts and only want them to achieve their best. Our Compulsory Coach....who I love and is awesome... much more of the caring type, but still an excellent coach! My DD was level 5 North state and level 6 North State . There are good and bad with every coach that I've found... It's just what best fits... I would try a couple of gyms and see what they say. One good thing about our area is there are always other options.....;) I don't want to post names but if you want names just pm me...

Plano is in the district 3 area. District 2 is west of Plano--for example Texas Dreams.

I wasn't sure which areas District 2 covers. I just saw a bunch listed under District 2 that seemed to be in or near Dallas. I saw a WOGA on Arapaho and Several gyms way south of DFW like Harker Heights and Waco. That is an odd way to break the gyms down into districts :eek: LOL So is one WOGA's 3 gyms in District 2 and the others in a different district? That is so weird!

We live in Washington state now but I grew up in Dallas (Highland Park area) I don't know much about the gyms there though because I never stepped foot in a gymnastics gym until I had moved to WA and took my daughter to her first class when she was 3 LOL

no they are in the same district. We compete against them in District 3. I think because there are so many gyms in the area the state is split up. That's why we have Districts, North/South state and then state competition.....

I wasn't sure which areas District 2 covers. I just saw a bunch listed under District 2 that seemed to be in or near Dallas. I saw a WOGA on Arapaho and Several gyms way south of DFW like Harker Heights and Waco. That is an odd way to break the gyms down into districts :eek: LOL So is one WOGA's 3 gyms in District 2 and the others in a different district? That is so weird!

We live in Washington state now but I grew up in Dallas (Highland Park area) I don't know much about the gyms there though because I never stepped foot in a gymnastics gym until I had moved to WA and took my daughter to her first class when she was 3 LOL

As you know, everything is big in Texas!!! There are 6 districts within the state--three in the North and three in the South. For the compulsory levels, there are district qualifiers but the teams often cross district lines to compete in non-qualifiers.

Actually, WOGA Dallas is in District 2 while WOGA Frisco and Plano are in District 3. Here's the list of gyms in the North by District: http://www.txusag.com/Blue Book/09_10/pg 28 North Districts.pdf Although, I do see there are some omissions--perhaps the list has not been updated recently.

I imagine that there are similar set-ups in other large states. Am I right?

This is what we looked for:

Coaches:
  • Coaches with the proper training and experience with recent experience coaching at your daughter's level.
  • Positive attitude. No yelling at the gymnasts.
  • Have the gymnasts placed well at competitions? (Check the websites.)
  • Are the coaches willing to talk to the parents?
  • Are coaches available for privates?
Facility:
  • Foam pit either in ground or raised. (Very important at the higher levels.)
  • Parent viewing area. (Can you see all areas of the gym?)
  • Parent accessibility. (Can you come in any time and observe?)
  • Tumble Track
  • Adequate number of beams and bars so there is no excessive wait times.
  • Full 40x40 spring floor (Foam block floors are hard on the knees).
Other:
  • Booster club (Check costs and fees.)
  • Gym owners (Is the gym business a going concern?)
  • Price (Most are about the same.)

As you know, everything is big in Texas!!! There are 6 districts within the state--three in the North and three in the South. For the compulsory levels, there are district qualifiers but the teams often cross district lines to compete in non-qualifiers.

Actually, WOGA Dallas is in District 2 while WOGA Frisco and Plano are in District 3. Here's the list of gyms in the North by District: http://www.txusag.com/Blue Book/09_10/pg 28 North Districts.pdf Although, I do see there are some omissions--perhaps the list has not been updated recently.

I imagine that there are similar set-ups in other large states. Am I right?

The actually teams that compete are district 3 (Plano and Frisco) ... the compulsory's and optionals train at the plano location. I think the dallas one is more of the younger ones. I believe the boys train at the Frisco location. One of my DD's best friends who is an optional trains at the Plano location. I can get more details if needed. :) Hope this helps.

New gym not on the list

Here is a list of all the clubs (USAG affliliated) in the DFW (district 2) area.

http://www.txusag.com/labels/District 2 labels Aug 2009.pdf

There is a new gym in District 2 that is not on the list. It is called Individual Sports Solutions. (ISS) It is located near the intersection of Dallas North Tollway and I-635 (LBJ Freeway) and is also near the Galleria.
My daughter has been there since it opened and just loves it. It has awesome coaches who have many years of experience. It has been open less than a year which is probably why they are not on the list.
It is owned by a Sports Medicine physician who has her office on site which is very handy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back