Off Topic New York City.....help!!!

• Thread starter peace.love.gymnast
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

P

peace.love.gymnast

Ok, so I'm going to NYC just after Christmas...will be there about 5 nights...so stoked!!!:D We have flight & hotel taken care of...my problem is...where in the world do I begin w/sightseeing?? I want to see EVERYTHING...do EVERYTHING...I know that's not going to be completely possible though. Has anyone ever been on the bus tours...had to stand in the line for tix to Empire State Building, stuff like that??? HELP....

Oh I can help you here. I went last year and I am going on SUnday too.

Go to New York City Forum, Travel Discussion for New York City - TripAdvisor on the right hand side of the page you will find links to posts about everything people loved and hated. On the left you will find lists of things to do.

For me The Empire State was not worth the hours of line ups, and even with a pass it took hours inside a building. The Top of The Rock, as in the Rockerfeller center, gave an equally good view of NYC and of the ESB without any line ups!

Take the Staten Island Ferry, free, to see the Statue of Liberty. The boat tours to see it are very long and involve a lot of people at specific times. YOu can get a trip to the Statue, but the security lines are long.

The Met, as in the Metropolitan Museum, is awesome as is the Natural History Museum. A Broadway show is a must, you can get ticket deals here BroadwayBox.com: free Broadway shows Discount codes for broadway theater tickets. Off Broadway shows are just as much of a good thing and can be bought very cheaply.

A hop on hop off bus tour is good to see where everything is, and it means you will see everything. Grayline is the one most people seem to prefer http://www.grayline.com/Grayline/destinations/us/newyork.go?mode=activityDetail&apid=1368&sid=529&, they are the red double decker buss. They are not good methods of transport though they are for siteseeing, use the subway system for getting about, it is safe, fast and cheap.

Chinatown is very interesting, though I like Dim Sum and Pokky, so I might be biased.

Go to Ground Zero, there is a little chapel right in front of the building area that is full of great information. There is also a workshop/museum a bit further away. It is very moving, the visits must be booked ahead and they are timed.

Go to TImes Sqaure, once will be enough, it is unbelievable. Busier than DIsany World at Christmas, loud, bright and ridiculous. I stayed there last year, this year Chelsea is the place for me. Times Square never stops and just getting around there is a challenge.

Of course Central Park and the zoo. Buy a picnic and enjoy the peace.

NYC is very easy to get around with the Subway, so much to do away from the tourist areas too. Where will you stay?

I am sure that our other members will have a lot to add, or correct. But you will have a blast. Take good walking shoes as you should walk, a lot.

Go see the tree at Rockefeller Center! It's really amazing.
I agree with Bog on a Broadway show. Depending on where you are staying, your hotel might also have discount tickets. You can call ahead or ask at the front desk when you get in. That way is usually really convenient. The Radio City Christmas show will also be playing, I went once a few years ago and it was lots of fun. Different shows play on different days, so it might be a good idea to work your schedule around the show you want to see most instead of the other way around. The last time I went I saw Chicago which wasn't my first choice, but still really good. So don't be too bummed if you don't get to see your first choice, pretty much any show you see will be great.
Last time I went we were taking friends from the UK so we did a lot of the touristy stuff. We did the bus ride which was pretty cool. You see a bunch of different areas of Manhattan and they point out some pop-culture landmarks. Our friends went to the Empire State Building and I don't think they had much of a wait in line at all, but it was also a very rainy and overcast day. I'm guessing around Christmas it might be a little more crowded, especially if it's a pretty clear day out.
Eat at as many places as you can! The food is probably one of my favorite things about New York. Make sure to try out a good deli and get a piece of cheesecake! My uncle who works in NYC actually mailed me a New York cheesecake for my birthday because I love it that much. The pizza is also really good. And there are plenty of fancy sit down places that are incredible as well. I do miss the food of the East Coast!
Shopping is also a blast. The department stores are huge and very high end. And there are plenty of other little shops to check out with all kinds of cool things. If you are into checking out the designer stores, there are plenty of those as well.
Have a great time, New York City is always a blast!

If you want to shop at Macy's, go to the visitors center and they will give you an out of twon discount card. Usually it gives 10% off all purchases.

ITA on the cheesecake, Juniors at Times Sqaure was delicious.

If you want to shop at Macy's, go to the visitors center and they will give you an out of twon discount card. Usually it gives 10% off all purchases.

ITA on the cheesecake, Juniors at Times Sqaure was delicious.

Juniors is the best! That's where my birthday cheesecake came from, but the one in Brooklyn. I didn't know they had a place in Times Square as well. It was voted best cheesecake in New York City which is quite an honor.

Juniors is the best! That's where my birthday cheesecake came from, but the one in Brooklyn. I didn't know they had a place in Times Square as well. It was voted best cheesecake in New York City which is quite an honor.
Yup I think the one in Brooklyn is the original. I went to college nearby. It was quite well known to the locals because that isn't a tourist location. I would imagine the one at Time Square being just as good. Order a piece, slow it down and savor every bit of it. And, BTW, this comes from one who's far from being a cheesecake lover. Yes, it was that good. I'm going by memory of course since I hadn't had one from them for over 20 years.

though I like Dim Sum and Pokky, so I might be biased.
Bog, if you like dim sum, don't bother with NYC, go west to Toronto. It has the best and most authentic Chinese food in North America. Chinese people in NYC frequently take tour buses there just to eat. If anyone tells otherwise, they don't know Chinese food.

Last edited:
Yup I think the one in Brooklyn is the original. I went to college nearby. It was quite well known to the locals because that isn't a tourist location. I would imagine the one at Time Square being just as good. Order a piece, slow it down and savor every bit of it. And, BTW, this comes from one who's far from being a cheesecake lover. Yes, it was that good. I'm going by memory of course since I hadn't had one from them for over 20 years.

Bog, if you like dim sum, don't bother with NYC, go west to Toronto. It has the best and most authentic Chinese food in North America. Chinese people in NYC frequently take tour buses there just to eat. If anyone tells otherwise, they don't know Chinese food.

I think I need to check out Brooklyn next week, I have never been over the bridge. I'll google the first Juniors, cheesecake is calling. The one on Times Square was really nice, large, open and very nice service.

I have to fess up I search out Chinatown everywhere I travel to. Washington DC had the smallest one I have ever seen and I never found a Dim Sum place there. Toronto is awesome, Montreal has a a couple of great places too. We did find a great spot in NYC opposite the Church of the Transfiguration, off Mott Street. It had the right clientele, the food was great too.

You know there is Chinese food and theren there is Chinese food!:eek::cool:

and then there is Indian food, mmmm, now that's good.:D

and then there is Indian food, mmmm, now that's good.:D
Yup, I like Indian food as well. Yum. Then again, I'm not Indian so I really couldn't tell what's authentic and what's not. A restaurant has tons of natives with a buffet works well for me. :p Oh, goat meat. Did I mention goat meat? I'd kill for that.

Yup, I like Indian food as well. Yum. Then again, I'm not Indian so I really couldn't tell what's authentic and what's not. A restaurant has tons of natives with a buffet works well for me. :p Oh, goat meat. Did I mention goat meat? I'd kill for that.

You support my theory then. I only eat at ethnic resaurants that are filled with clients from that ethnicity. If the locals think it's good it probably is.

Another NYC tourism suggestion is the Lower East Side Tenement Museum, small with great tours that show how families lived in NYC in the 1900's.

Another NYC tourism suggestion is the Lower East Side Tenement Museum, small with great tours that show how families lived in NYC in the 1900's.
Really. Never knew it.:confused: I lived couple of blocks from there (just looked it up). Parents are still around there. It just goes to show you... Maybe I'll seek it out next time I'm there. Hmm...

I am staying in East Manhattan...51st Street...near Central Park! :) Thank you so much for the info....HUGE help!!! :)

You support my theory then. I only eat at ethnic resaurants that are filled with clients from that ethnicity. If the locals think it's good it probably is.

I keep telling people I'm not insane. There are some gems of restaurants one can find this way.

To the OP: Get acquainted with the transit schedule, & I must be the 17th person to suggest cheesecake.

Oh believe me...I'm so looking forward to original New York Cheesecake!!! Yummy!!!!:D Thank you to everyone for being so helpful w/the info

Gosh, where do I start?? Seems like people already brought up a lot of good ideas. But here's some ideas from a local :)

Museum of Natural History and the Metropolitan Museum of Art...definite must sees. Even if you don't think you are into that stuff. Definitely check out the dinosaur skeletons at the Natural History Museum. Natural History is at Central Park West and 81st Street, the Met is on 5th Avenue at 86th Street. They are basically both on opposite sides of Central Park from one another, so you can take the subway to one, hail a cab which will whisk you across Central Park on one of the trans-park roads to the other, and then take the subway back to where you are staying.

Staten Island ferry is great, it is a good way to "breeze past" the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island for free. Just take the subway to Bowling Green or South Ferry or Whitehall Street. You get on the boat, go to Staten Island, you'll be forced off the boat, then just hook around back thru the waiting area and back onto the boat to get back to the city.

Go to the top of a tall building. Two choices...the Empire State building (34th and 5th Ave.) or Rockefeller Center (6th and 50th Street). I think the Rockefeller Center is better, and the lines are shorter.

Take a cab ride over to Chelsea piers (23rd Street and West Side Highway)...and find a way to get into their gymnastics gym...it is absolutely amazing!

Go for a walk around any of the major parks. Union Square, Washington Square, Central Park, Tompkins Square Park, Battery Park...they are all fun. If you can afford it, take one of the horse and carriage rides through Central Park.

I love Little Italy...although Little Italy is getting littler every year. It is on Mulberry Street right above Chinatown. So many great restaurants and pastry shops and bakeries.

Take a walk along 5th Avenue, past all the stores decorated for the holidays. Take a walk through St. Patrick's Cathedral. And see the tree of course. If you don't mind waiting in line, go ice skating...its a lot of fun.

Go see a broadway show...there are so many to choose from. If your hotel can't get you tickets, go to the TKTS booth in times square. They sell same day discounted tickets. Get there early though!

Definitely get NY pizza. There is a pizza place on every corner practically. Its much better then domino's.

Go walk around the UN Headquarters. There is a reason why they call NYC the capital of the world...that is one of the reasons. You can walk from your hotel.

The financial district is kinda neat. There is a lot all in one area, the stock exchange, Trinity Church, Federal Hall, Ground Zero, and South Street Seaport.

Gosh there is so much to do....I can't even think of everything! If I think of more I'll post it!

Ahhh there is SO much to do in New York, but here are my 4 must accomplish tasks;

1. Ride the subway. You can't go to New York and not ride the subway. :D

2. See a Broadway show... even if you're not into musicals and such, it's SO worth it.

3. Eat at different restaurants. McDonalds is a no no... hit the local diners and pizza shops!

4. I really recommend (if you can) walking around downtown. We did this the 1st time I went and it was great - walk down Broadway, Times Square, etc... it's lots of fun! There's lots of shops, too... even if just to peruse! The Toys R Us downtown has a ferris wheel inside... very cool. ;)

Have fun! I'm going for my second trip either this weekend or the second weekend in December and I can't wait! :D

(PS... if you get a chance, go see the Brooklyn Bridge at night - it's beauteous! I think we saw it from an ice cream place right down the road - I'll find out when I go back! :D)

4. I really recommend (if you can) walking around downtown. We did this the 1st time I went and it was great - walk down Broadway, Times Square, etc... it's lots of fun! There's lots of shops, too... even if just to peruse! The Toys R Us downtown has a ferris wheel inside... very cool. ;)
Quick correction... ;) Times Square (around 42nd St) is in Midtown, not Downtown. Downtown consists of a whole bunch of smaller districts and it's much further South.

Bog, I went looking for this (by memory) a few weeks ago when I was there. I looked all over for it for about 20 minutes and couldn't find it. Felt a bit stupid. According to Google Maps, I went right by it.

Last edited:
Bog, I went looking for this (by memory) a few weeks ago when I was there. I looked all over for it for about 20 minutes and couldn't find it. Felt a bit stupid. According to Google Maps, I went right by it.

I guess it blends in to all the other buildings so well. I have heard other people have not been able to find it either. Maybe next time!:D

Quick correction... ;) Times Square (around 42nd St) is in Midtown, not Downtown. Downtown consists of a whole bunch of smaller districts and it's much further South.

What most people think of as "Downtown NYC" is really Midtown. Which is bounded by 34th Street to the south, 57th Street to the north, 8th Avenue to th west, and the East River/FDR Drive to the east.

Downtown is roughly Chambers Street/City Hall area down south to the tip of Manhattan from the East River to the Hudson River.

Lower Manhattan is just about anything below 14th Street, and consists of many neighborhoods....the Village, the West Village, SoHo, Tribeca, etc. Downtown is in Lower Manhattan, but not all of Lower Manhattan is downtown.

Then again, downtown can also refer to a direction as opposed to a place....anything towards the bottom of Manhattan is downtown, the other way is uptown.

We keep an apartment in NYC in Greenwich Village, which is part of Lower Manhattan but not Downtown. You have to get on a subway towards downtown to go downtown, but you get on one towards uptown if you want to go to midtown. Confused yet? ;)

Yeah, it's confusing indeed. Maybe because the streets and avenues in Manhattan are so easy to navigate, they just have to make up for the confusion with the district designations.:confused:

Because of this simple mind that I have, I always kept things really simple like many other ethnic community residents do. Since I lived where I later on found out as Lower East Side, to me to the North outside of walking distance was either midtown or uptown. I never knew where the cut offs were. Then to the South of us there was City Hall (the whole entire area consisted of City Hall, World Trade, Seaport, Battery Park, Wall Street, etc.). Besides the more known local neighborhoods (mostly close to home like Chinatown, the Village), I never knew the designation of other local communities in Manhattan. It's funny because people visiting the city often refer to these districts by name (say Chelsea or Tribeca) and my typical response is still "what?".

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back