Long Hang Pullovers

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I would say I like level 6, except for long hand pullovers. Every single day, and meet, a slam my hips onto the bars when it is completely unnecessary :bawling: I every casted to handstand and I still did the say thing. I connected it once and got a score 5 tenths higher than usual. Please help me! States is next week and I really need to figure this out!

GCG

Your hips are most likely hitting due to the fact that your hands are still on top of the bar when you are underneath the bar. Try to think of this as a clear hip circle. Start to rotate your hands ahead of your body and skim past the bar into the undershoot as if you were doing your clear hip. That skill is nearly as painful to spot as it is to do. It's all about wrist and hand rotation for a giant. On the guys side it's actually called a 3/4 giant. If you can think hands go around the bar first, it should keep you from smashing into the bar. You may also what to try a few clear hips into undershoots to get the speed down.

The funny thing is that I have absolutely no problem shifting my hands in clear hips and in giants I can shift my hands too. Once I looked down and the low bar after I casted and I almost connected my long hang pullover. Does that have anything to do with it? I'm really scared to shift my hands...

If you tap too soon, you won't make it which is caused by getting into an arched position too early after the pushaway/bail from the cast. Cast, pushaway into hollow, hold it as long as you can, then tap.

If you tap too soon, you won't make it which is caused by getting into an arched position too early after the pushaway/bail from the cast. Cast, pushaway into hollow, hold it as long as you can, then tap.

I completely agree with Bob. When you looked at the low bar, you actually pushed to a hollow shape. This makes you gain better speed around the bar. If you already have good giants, look at this as a giant into a clear hip, i.e. wait to do the back hip out of it. Many of the guys I know do it as a giant then lower into the undershoot. Technically not what the judges are looking for so you'd have to close sooner eventually. I see this as a progression to a giant so I'd do what ever you need to do to save your hips.

That's the thing, I don't tap at all. I just fall down from my cast and pull myself over. I haven't done giants by myself yet, but would it help if I didn't come to the bar as soon? That was I at least would be on top of the bar more?

If you aren't tapping at all, it really wouldn't matter how late you come into the bar, you'll still most likely land on it. If you think about pushing your feet under the low bar then tapping (I'm not sure if this is giving you the visual of how late the tap should be or not but it seems to help my girls), you should get enough speed in the swing to come in later.
Try think of it as a really weird back hip circle undershoot. I see too many people trying to do it as a pull over, stop, undershoot and smash into the bar. If you have a good clear hip and your hand rotation is good, focusing on the undershoot instead of coming back to the bar sometimes helps.
Going back to Bob's post, when you cast, push your shoulders to your ears and hit a tight hollow shape. This in itself generates quite a bit more speed around the bar instead of just falling away. You need a circular motion like a giant to get around. If you just fall away, gravity pulls you straight down so the tendency is to swing to a stop then fall on the bar. Watch the way the bar bends with someone does giants. It makes a bit of a oval shape from the angles their bodies are pushing on the bar. The dropping into a pull over is more a straight up and down motion not allowing for the swing to clear the bar with enough velocity to do the undershoot.
I guess what it all comes down to is this:
1. Cast while pushing to a tight hollow shape. (Push hard ,you'll swing faster)
2. Look for the low bar and stay hollow until your feet pass it. (It used to be written as a deduction if you arched early. I'm not sure if it's still in there or not)
3. Push your armpits toward the ground to allow your body to hit a tightly arched shape. (Most people try to arch from the feet up. This makes for an incorrect tap timing)
4. Tap as if you want to kick the ceiling above the bar. i.e. all the way over as if you were doing a giant.
5. Eventually you should be able to feel when the bar is bending with you and when you should close in OVER the bar instead of onto the bar. Padding the bar isn't a bad idea if you don't have a spotter.

Wow!!! Thank you so much Coach Todd! For once when some one tried to explain it to me it made sense! I'll try this out tomorrow when I have bars. You're right though, because the one time I did make it, I tapped into it, and watching some of my successful teammates, they seem to tap too. I'll remember going OVER the bar instead of on the bar also, but my teammate actually completely went around the bar with out touching it at the last meet, so I'll also keep that in mind. But looking at it right now, I don't think that I'll have problems with that quiet yet. Thank you so much!!! This will bring my score up to an 8.7 if I can do it successful.

-GCG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back