Woaw. Physics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In physics lab today we did torque and rotation. Mind. Blown.

I've always known that when you tuck you rotate faster than a layout and layouts feel floaty because you actually rotating slower and that this was all because of physics, but oh man. I really get it now. When you bring your mass in to the center of rotation (increasing inertia) it increases your angular momentum, aka how fast you spin. I'm pretty sure that's it. It's been a long day.

For example when you're front tucking and you're about to land you open your tuck... which slows your rotation. And when you layout the rotation is slower because the mass is spread over a greater distance. One learning a layout might have the tendency to pike down... because that makes you rotate faster so as to land on our feet instead of our faces. And we have the air sense to know when we need to do that... wow!!

I got really excited when I realized that the whole lab was basically about tumbling. I even got to draw a stick figure of a person doing a front tuck to illustrate a real life example of linear kinetic energy changing into rotational kinetic energy. Yay!

Don't you love it when you learn things in school that ACTUALLY can be related to real life!!!! I was having a conversation with my 10 year old daughter just today about her cartwheel on beam. I was explaining to her that she needs to speed up her cartwheel because when you go too slow it causes you to not get around fast enough and you are forced to bend your legs to stay balanced. She said, "Oh you mean like momentum?" I told her, "Exactly!!!" I further explained to her that you need to have more momentum in the cartwheel so that you get your legs around quicker. She then said, "Wow, mom--you know a lot about gymnastics for someone that doesn't do any gymnastics." LOL (Kids are so darn cute, aren't they???) I then told her, "I don't have to do gymnastics to really understand it because it is really all about physics." She was a bit shocked and said "Physics? You mean like science and stuff??" Gotta LOVE it when things you learn in school really cross over to real life!

So when Dani starts taking physics in HS and she says, "Why do I have to learn this??? How is THIS going to help me in real life??" She will then understand. Hopefully.

Haha, my coach actually taught me about conservation of angular momentum when I was an 8-year-old preteam kid. And I do the same with my own preteam kids.

Boy, you are so labeled as a nerd now?!:D

I love it when someone actually get science (physics in particular) and math. They explain everything that we do. They are far from just boring theories and formulas. In fact, they are probably the most applied subjects of all anywhere in the world. If you think this is amazing stuff, it only gets better from here. (guess what my fave subjects were)

Keep up the good work!!!
icon14.gif

Boy, you are so labeled as a nerd now?!:D

oh, are you passing out badges?

Can I get mine? My pride and joy as a coach was when it dawned on one of my Level 4s that extend-pike is the right way to do a front hip circle because thats how it works, not just because I said so. All my compulsories through around physics terms and this makes me happy.

GT and CG, the honor of being the nerd of the moment goes to the OP, tumblerK. You guys are just stealing her thunder.

GT and CG, the honor of being the nerd of the moment goes to the OP, tumblerK. You guys are just stealing her thunder.

Thunder's all hers for the moment.

Didn't you see the lightning that happened at the same time?

I've known I'm a nerd for a long time now, and I don't object at all, nor does anyone else at my college. One of the cheers we do at football/hockey games starts out with "e to the x, dy dx, e to the x dx!"

Now, put together all of the equations involved in a "simple" front hand spring vault. You'll also find that leaning slightly backwards makes you flip forward faster. You can have a lot of fun with it. Maybe even get some extra credit.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back