FX - Double Front Help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

Gouldy

Hey Chalkies,

I've been working on my double front, and, well, it isn't:

[YOUTUBE]I3CjWaPMWuE[/YOUTUBE]

My coach made me change my technique, so that it will be consistent with my forward twisting; so now I block with my arms up instead of down: I feel like it's detracting from my momentum, but allowing me to gain more height.

So yeah, thoughts?

Thanks,

Gouldy

Sweeeettt.. I love a good double front on floor..

What you could do to improve that is
1- Punch with your arms up above your head for long. So set into your somersault for a fraction longer with arms up. You are bring your arms down rather early killing some of your potential for rotation
2- You need to kick your heels over harder a bit more..you are pulling your legs into you a bit to much on the set..as opposed to chasing your tail so to speak. This will be partially helped if you grabbed your shins as opposed to the back of your legs. If you slow mo your vid you can see that first flip is just a little slow, and knees are coming into your chest. You may even feel that the second flip is not as fast as the first one as a result.
3- Patience..based on your vid it seems this is new on the FX so, give it some time. And continue pumping out lots on the tramp or whatever rebound tramp surface you use.

Hope that helps

I agree completely with Valentin, but there are a couple things I'd like to add:

First, a double front has as much to do with power as with technique (if not more). Pliometric conditioning for the legs and calves will help a lot, if you're not already doing it.

That said, it looks to me like you have (barely) enough height and rotation to land it right now, but you're coming out a little early. You want to aim to overrotate it slightly. Don't plan on sticking a double front, plan on landing and then doing a forward roll.

That said, it looks to me like you have (barely) enough height and rotation to land it right now, but you're coming out a little early. You want to aim to overrotate it slightly. Don't plan on sticking a double front, plan on landing and then doing a forward roll.

This was my take too. If you pushed it, I think that could have landed without sitting down. Have to be careful with technique though, even cowboying to miss your face if you push the landing you can end up driving your knees into your chest/ribs pretty hard (...not like I've ever done that or anything...).

The only thing I can add to all of the posts above it that the video looks like you are taking off a little to hollow. The angle it was shot at is a little difficult to see from. Open your hips as if you just landed a front handspring to generate more height and rotation using the techniques listed by the other posters in this thread.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back