Summer Camp...1st time??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymfan4ever95

Coach
Gymnast
I am 14 years old and a level 7, and this summer will be my first time ever going to a overnight camp. I am really nervous! It is at NC State University, but some other girls on my team are going, and my coach is planning on going too. She said that going to camp will be a good experience for me because there will be male coach's that can spot higher level skills easier than she can. She wants me to go for 2 weeks (everyone else just 1 week.) She even offered to pay for the 2nd week!! I am nervous because I have never been to camp before, and I get homesick really easily. I can't go two nights without being with my mom, but I haven't been away from my parents for over one night in a couple years. Maybe I have grown out of that, but i don't know. Anyway's, what should I expect at camp? Any advice would be great!!

dont worry you will have fun. if you bring teammates you will not feel like an outsider.also remember that other people are going to feel the same way you do.you def will make new friends.if you get homesick why not try calling or texting your parents.if you stay two weeks you will be formiler witht the staff and secdule so you can just enjoy it even more.i hoped this helped

A bunch of my girls have gone to the NC State camp, and they loved it. Heck, you'll probably run into some of them if you're going this summer.

Your like me a lot in that way! When my gym was offered to go to a sleep away training camp I didn't want to go at all. I was actually kind of scared to go some place very far from home. Of course in the end I got encouraged to go and I loved it. Towards the end of the week I was begging to stay because the coaches were all so nice and I loved making new friends. It is a great experience! Is it possible that you can go 1 week and see how you like it then decide if you want to stay another week? I do agree 2 weeks is a lot but it will be worth it in the end, trust me!

My daughter has done two weeks at camp and we have found it a much better experience if she comes home for a few weeks in between and then goes back. It's kind of a let down when most of your gym pals leave after the first week and you're still there...I think she just found it a little tougher to get right back into it....when she came home for a few weeks and then went back, she was excited to be back at camp again and it was still familiar to her from the earlier week there. I guess it depends how far away you are and if plane flights are involved...for us, it's a ten hour drive so it wasn't too bad to do a few weeks apart.

My daughter always had her cell phone and could call if she needed to but honestly, I didn't hear from her much as she was so busy.:)

My daughter has done two weeks at camp and we have found it a much better experience if she comes home for a few weeks in between and then goes back. It's kind of a let down when most of your gym pals leave after the first week and you're still there...I think she just found it a little tougher to get right back into it....when she came home for a few weeks and then went back, she was excited to be back at camp again and it was still familiar to her from the earlier week there. I guess it depends how far away you are and if plane flights are involved...for us, it's a ten hour drive so it wasn't too bad to do a few weeks apart.

My daughter always had her cell phone and could call if she needed to but honestly, I didn't hear from her much as she was so busy.:)

We are only 2 hours away i think. Thanks!

You can look in the travelers section in walmart for small item of stuff, plus they have little containers and spray bottles toothbrush holds and so on. Don't forget the storage bags for stuff that spills, keychain flashlights beef jerky and a good story book.

Tell Mr. Mark I said high :).
I may try to work at that camp this year. I don't know if I'll have the time.
Many of our girls go there every year and really enjoy it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back