Teaching Preschool classes this fall!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Natasha

Proud Parent
I am so excited, the gym manager called me today to ask if I would be interested in teaching preschool classes at the gym starting this fall. I start training next week!

Good for you! I started coaching last year (although I've been too busy this year to do any). I haven't done any pre-school classes though. I hope you have a great time.

Congrats!! My DD's favorite coach was her pre-school/rec teacher. Now she's coaching pre-team some too, which makes my little one over the moon happy. Have fun!! Is coaching something you've been wanting to do?

Congratulations! My advice, as a seasoned veteran, is to really learn about early childhood development. Preschoolers are learning social skills, gross motor skills, and cognitive skills during class. You want to be fun and nurturing, while also being aware of their physical, mental, and emotional development. Good luck!

@ Moxie- I hadn't really considered coaching, but I love kids and I have come to love gymnastics since my dd started in it. I am looking forward to learning so much more about the sport.
Nikium- Good points! I have actually been a child therapist (now practicing very part-time) for 15+ years and a Children's Ministry Director for the past 10 years (also pt) which is why I think the gym manager asked me if I was interested- I think they figure I already have the "kid stuff" down and they can teach me the gymnastics stuff. I am really looking forward to the "change of pace" from my other jobs. I trained this week and had so much fun with the kids.
Question for those of you who are experienced? I would love to incorporate the kids imaginations into what we do. Do you ever pretend to be animals or when you set up the obstacles pretend they are mountains, a beam over an alligator pond, etc....? There seems to be much variance between preschool teachers at our gym- ranging from the "serious" focus on learning names of skills, correct form etc to the more fun. Also, I can think of a bunch of catchy tunes to sing to the warm up exercises rather than just counting to 10.... yes or no??

@ Moxie- I hadn't really considered coaching, but I love kids and I have come to love gymnastics since my dd started in it. I am looking forward to learning so much more about the sport.
Nikium- Good points! I have actually been a child therapist (now practicing very part-time) for 15+ years and a Children's Ministry Director for the past 10 years (also pt) which is why I think the gym manager asked me if I was interested- I think they figure I already have the "kid stuff" down and they can teach me the gymnastics stuff. I am really looking forward to the "change of pace" from my other jobs. I trained this week and had so much fun with the kids.
Question for those of you who are experienced? I would love to incorporate the kids imaginations into what we do. Do you ever pretend to be animals or when you set up the obstacles pretend they are mountains, a beam over an alligator pond, etc....? There seems to be much variance between preschool teachers at our gym- ranging from the "serious" focus on learning names of skills, correct form etc to the more fun. Also, I can think of a bunch of catchy tunes to sing to the warm up exercises rather than just counting to 10.... yes or no??

My vote - yes, absolutely!!!! You can have it both ways :) I've always used their imaginations in that way....and taught them correct form, etc all at the same time. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

I think this is why both kids AND parents like me, lol.

Absolutely, yes. At our gym, when the kids line up to march to the next apparatus, they might get to be an animal, or an aeroplane or something. Fun warm-up games and songs will be ideal, they will love it. Just be careful that when things need to be serious, they are being serious, for safety reasons.

a beam over an alligator pond, etc....?

Just a note, some preschool-aged kids may have a problem with this. The other kids in my daughter's class love it when the coach draws an alligator or shark with chalk for them to go over, but my daughter has freaked out screaming several times when he tried this. (She is younger than the other kids, and has a very active imagination.)

There seems to be much variance between preschool teachers at our gym- ranging from the "serious" focus on learning names of skills, correct form etc to the more fun. Also, I can think of a bunch of catchy tunes to sing to the warm up exercises rather than just counting to 10.... yes or no??

You can absolutely have fun with them, use your imagination, etc. For warm-ups I've seen our coaches play games (a mat is a pirate ship they have to get on), instead of just running laps to get the blood pumping. They have contests, who can do the most sit ups, pull ups, leg lifts, v-ups (this is pre-team, so you can adjust to whatever you're working on). It just makes it a little more fun then "Do ten push ups". It sounds like you got the kid thing down pat, and once you get gymnastic fever it's over. ;-)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back