Parents Question about summer schedule

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sorry to hijack the thread.
Is that because over the summer preteam becomes team and new preteamers start in the fall?
That's a great question I hadn't thought of that. My dd was invited to the preteam at summer gymnastics camp (to start at the beginning of the school year). As I've learned more about gymnastics it did eventually cross my mind that they were treating preteam like rec. Your theory makes a lot more sense. :)

Departing further from the initial question, I know moving to the next level isn't something I'm supposed to think about but it has crossed my mind. My dd broke her elbow at the beginning of Jan and has been just conditioning at the gym since then (as soon as she was cleared for conditioning). She's been working really hard on PT and it seems like she will be able to return to at least some gymnastics soon. She came home from gymnastics early last week with a note from her coach asking is she can do handstands yet. (yes, but only after she does it with the physical therapist, but now we're on vacation until the end of the week) Initially I didn't think much of the question but as I've had time to analyze (and over-analyze which I tend to do) it crossed my mind that they asked b/c they are (or will soon) be looking at the girls to decide who to move up. Anyway, she is/was close but still had a few skills missing for level 3.

So the short answer is, thank you so much for giving me another idea that totally makes sense but I really don't know.

That's a great question I hadn't thought of that. My dd was invited to the preteam at summer gymnastics camp (to start at the beginning of the school year). As I've learned more about gymnastics it did eventually cross my mind that they were treating preteam like rec. Your theory makes a lot more sense. :)

Departing further from the initial question, I know moving to the next level isn't something I'm supposed to think about but it has crossed my mind. My dd broke her elbow at the beginning of Jan and has been just conditioning at the gym since then (as soon as she was cleared for conditioning). She's been working really hard on PT and it seems like she will be able to return to at least some gymnastics soon. She came home from gymnastics early last week with a note from her coach asking is she can do handstands yet. (yes, but only after she does it with the physical therapist, but now we're on vacation until the end of the week) Initially I didn't think much of the question but as I've had time to analyze (and over-analyze which I tend to do) it crossed my mind that they asked b/c they are (or will soon) be looking at the girls to decide who to move up. Anyway, she is/was close but still had a few skills missing for level 3.

So the short answer is, thank you so much for giving me another idea that totally makes sense but I really don't know.
Our preteam is year round (our gym never closes...like ever...so reducing hours or no preteam at all is foriegn to me), girls who are on preteam right before summer try out for L3 and do the L3 summer schedule....girls in rec who are ready for preteam are genneally invited to preteam at that time too.

OP I would definitely ask at this point (so you know how crazy your summer may get lol)

So yes, I found out from another parent that the expectation is all (or most) kids move up to next level for summer training. So the pre team summer schedule is for new incoming pre teamers. I guess my dd will be training level 3 over the summer and hopefully she gets her mill and BHS otherwise I'm not sure what will happen. I wonder if they may just have her go Xcel since she joined pre team mid year and they may not think she's ready to train level 3?? We will know in the next few weeks if she is for sure moving up. I guess I was missing vital info and that's why it made no sense. SO thanks for answering my question anyway!

NY dad I'm sorry to hear about your dd's elbow. I hope she is back full time soon. SO yes, I guess pre team is not treated like rec and the girls are expected to move up to train for next level during the summer at our gym. Sounds like yours is the same. We were told most current pre team girls will train level 3 over summer but they are still making final decisions. This is all 2nd hand from another parent but she seemed to know what she was talking about lol. Her daughter is a 7 year old level 6!

So yes, I found out from another parent that the expectation is all (or most) kids move up to next level for summer training. So the pre team summer schedule is for new incoming pre teamers. I guess my dd will be training level 3 over the summer and hopefully she gets her mill and BHS otherwise I'm not sure what will happen. I wonder if they may just have her go Xcel since she joined pre team mid year and they may not think she's ready to train level 3?? We will know in the next few weeks if she is for sure moving up. I guess I was missing vital info and that's why it made no sense. SO thanks for answering my question anyway!

Most of the kids I get in level 3 don't have a mill circle, front hip or back handspring and they do fine, although every gym is different and I think in some places it's more common for the kids to have to "have" the skills before moving up.

(I coach preteam and L3)
We do spring compulsory season. I move kids from preteam to L3 right as summer hits. Most of them, at that point, do not have all the skills needed to compete L3 come January. They will get them during summer and fall training. :) Every now and then I will have a kid that throws me for a loop and ends up needing more time, who will then either end up a "non competing" L3 or simply scratching the event involved until the skill is there (and then likely repeat L3 the following season, to solidify basics).
If this was at my gym, the assumption would be that most of the preteam would move up to team during off season, unless spoken to. Some kids spend more than 1yr in preteam but their hours never go down. I also accept new kids into preteam all year long, but moveups to team happen only once/yr.

(I coach preteam and L3)
We do spring compulsory season. I move kids from preteam to L3 right as summer hits. Most of them, at that point, do not have all the skills needed to compete L3 come January. They will get them during summer and fall training. :) Every now and then I will have a kid that throws me for a loop and ends up needing more time, who will then either end up a "non competing" L3 or simply scratching the event involved until the skill is there (and then likely repeat L3 the following season, to solidify basics).
If this was at my gym, the assumption would be that most of the preteam would move up to team during off season, unless spoken to. Some kids spend more than 1yr in preteam but their hours never go down. I also accept new kids into preteam all year long, but moveups to team happen only once/yr.

Thank you surpriseGymMom!! That was very helpful to hear. I think this is exactly how our gym does it. My concern is because my DD just started preteam a month ago. If she were to repeat preteam then the summer hours are only 2 per week so I assume they would not have her do. I am assuming they would either have her train level 3 or go to Xcel. She really hope to be given a chance to train level 3. Since you accept girls to pre team all year will you still move those girls who start later to train Level 3 if they are ready? Thanks so much for your help

I think it depends on the gym. Kudos to them for having the summer schedule out already! In my gym if a kid has to repeat a level they usually know by the end of that meet season for compulsory. Optionals were a little different because if they had a giant they could move to L7. If she only needs a BHS I would suggest putting her in an additional tumbling class to master the skill. Also my DD is currently competing L3 and there are kids who still get spots so you never know. There are also those who struggle with the mill circle and handstand on beam. Depends on the gym really. Ask the coach what is needed to move up. Good luck!

Question re: additional tumbling classes... do you mean at a separate tumbling gym? Is that okay to do? Of course I would ask our gym, but didn't know if it was generally accepted. My dd is also preteam and in a similar situation. Started preteam in Jan. Not sure when they'll decide - I think June. Fall compulsory season.

In my dd gym she continually up trains during off season which means they practice skills for the next level. In addition, dd is offered additional training hours over the summer. Head coach decides on level anytime after the summer, around September. Our season begins in December. Our gym does not "cut" gymnasts but I have heard of it from a neighboring gym.

Wow! Very impressive the summer schedule is already posted in your gym.
What do you mean by cut? Are they uninvited from team?

We are in region 6 but since dd is not yet competing I am not entirely sure when comp season starts. I think it starts in December and goes through the spring. I could be wrong. I am thinking gymdog is correct and they are planning to move some rec kids to pre team this summer because otherwise it doesn't make sense. Why would they want the current pre team girls to drop their hours. Another point is that none of the current pre team girls (as far as I can tell) have their BHS and they have never worked mill circles so I have no idea. I am assuming dd wouldn't have that either although she is strong on bars.
Hi we are region 6 as well. Not sure what state you live in but in our state the season officially starts in mid October and runs till states. Level 4/5 Feb
3,6 April
Most of the rest May
Our gym usually does not talk about the next level till post states. My DD was the only one to initially be moved up last year but the rest caught up and all competed together by fall. That said, our gym is more laid back which is a blessing and curse. You can simply approach the coach and ask what hours DD will do in summer so you can plan accordingly.

What do you mean by cut? Are they uninvited from team?

I have not asked any parents directly to confirm, but I suspect kids at dd's gym are cut from JO before levels are assigned for the next year. I think what happens is that some kids are assigned Xcel as their level for the next season, instead of either moving up or repeating in JO. Those kids sometimes switch to Xcel and stay at the gym, but some leave to join JO teams at other gyms, and some leave and join Xcel teams at other gyms.

I always wondered if that happened at other gyms.

Question re: additional tumbling classes... do you mean at a separate tumbling gym? Is that okay to do? Of course I would ask our gym, but didn't know if it was generally accepted. My dd is also preteam and in a similar situation. Started preteam in Jan. Not sure when they'll decide - I think June. Fall compulsory season.
Yes an additional tumbling class

Yes an additional tumbling class

Do some gyms have additional tumbling only classes? Ours has rec, team and preteam gymnastics (along with an entire dance program) but no tumbling specific classes. So I think dd's only option will be privates for now.

Our gym offers dance and conditioning and extra tumbling classes during the summer for team girls. It definitely made for a very busy week!

Our gym has extra tumbling classes that are open to rec and lower level team. I think the skill go up to round off BHS BHS back layout.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back