Parents Coach recommendation

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
My ODDs coach has offered to write her a recommendation saying she's ready to compete X level etc.- for when we move, to take to a new gym. Is that something we should take her up on? My girls other coaches would be willing to do the same for T&T and rhythmic respectively. Just not sure if it would be helpful or weird to show up with letters of recommendation. It was the coach's suggestion.

I honestly don't think it will make a difference. Every gym has their own criteria and will evaluate and place a gymnast where they feel is best in their program and their competition philosophy.

iOk, I will bite.
Seeing as your children are older, and not the typical 4 foot 6 or so gymnast....
Hell yeah I would take the letters. Yes, their potentially new coaches will make their own decisions and assess them. But you have had such a rocky road previously, and finally found some real success and happiness....I think it is a great thing to have. Might give the new coaches a bit more of an open mind to it all. And even if it doesn't? Heck, I think it is a great thing for your KIDS to have.
I VOTE YES.
And how cool that the coach suggested it.

What duyetanh said.

From what i gather your girls are atypical. Gyms may well judge on first impressions and make assumptions on their ability based on body type.

We struggled when we moved. I couldn't even get dd2 in for a trial at many gyms. At first glance she is not a gymnast with potential, all bambi legs and average flexibility. Her old coach saw something though and she was a very successful competitor, not something you always saw in training, and certainly not after one trial session- it's taken her new gym 6 months to realise how she manged to score so highly and win competitions.

If i thought she'd stick with wag i'd have certainly taken up her old coach's offer and used it to get her in a successful gym.

Funnily enough she did a holiday course at a high level tramp club, won a competition by miles, and has been offered a squad place, so it looks like she's switching to tramp anyway.

Even if it wouldn't help, I can't think of any reason to turn down the offer. In my opinion it can't hurt the first impression for the potential new coach to see that there is another coach that believes in your DD.

Does your coach have any connections with coaches in the area you are moving to?

I would ask the current coach for gym recommendations. If current coach knows the New coach, the new program is more likely to take the current coach's thoughts into account.

I will be blunt though. If I have a kid that was slated to compete or train a certain level, and I don't know the coaches or the reputation of the gym, it amounts to a pile of beans to me. And even if I do know them, I will evaluate the kid and place them where they fit best in our program.

Especially in Xcel, different gyms have different standards. "Ready to do gold" in one gym may mean something totally different in another gym than it does in ours.

Thanks everyone. It IS very kind of her to offer. I don't even know how I would introduce that into a conversation though at a new gym. Since I don't think I would use it, or it wouldn't help if I did, I just don't want to waste her time and kindness.

Yes, both girls are very atypical but they'll either have to win a new gym over or not on their own merits in real time. I honestly think a coach might think less rather than more of a kid showing up with letters of rec like it's a job application. It says to me that the kid knows they can't make a good impression.

Does your coach have any connections with coaches in the area you are moving to?

I would ask the current coach for gym recommendations. If current coach knows the New coach, the new program is more likely to take the current coach's thoughts into account.

I will be blunt though. If I have a kid that was slated to compete or train a certain level, and I don't know the coaches or the reputation of the gym, it amounts to a pile of beans to me. And even if I do know them, I will evaluate the kid and place them where they fit best in our program.

Especially in Xcel, different gyms have different standards. "Ready to do gold" in one gym may mean something totally different in another gym than it does in ours.

No, no one here knows any coaches over there. I know gymnastics is a small world, but 3,000 miles is a long distance to cover connections without some luck- especially if you aren't talking super high levels. If we were talking about elite gyms, yeah there'd probably be some recognition.

Even if you aren't going to use it you could still get the recommendation. If nothing else it would be something nice for your daughter to have/read. You could potential inadvertently insult the coach by not taking it.

Ok...if you don't want the letter....here is another idea, fwiw...what if the coach sent an email to the prospective coaches? I know this is done throughout the gymnastic world when a child needs to move! We have a girl that came from across the U.S., and her coach wrote an email to the coaches in the area....the mom said it really was helpful because it gave our coaches an idea of who the child was, etc. Just thought I would share. :)

No, no one here knows any coaches over there. I know gymnastics is a small world, but 3,000 miles is a long distance to cover connections without some luck- especially if you aren't talking super high levels. If we were talking about elite gyms, yeah there'd probably be some recognition.

I don't think it's about connections or recognition here.

Read Amanda's post- most gyms assess and evaluate, and place them within their program, which is fair enough, but;

If you have a letter, or your coach fires an email over, it may be the difference between them deciding to put your kids on rec, or giving them a shot at team. I know my DD would likely have been put in rec, and was only given a team place because somebody who knows about gymnastics pretty much said, hey, give the kid a chance, they'll surprise you.

Like Margo says, if they come with an assurance they work hard and are an asset to a club, it might just push them into accepting them, or giving them a chance at a higher level.

i wouldn't turn down a letter. like mentioned, it's nice for your girls to have and it can't hurt anything. good luck with your move and with finding a new home gym!

What duyetanh said.

From what i gather your girls are atypical. Gyms may well judge on first impressions and make assumptions on their ability based on body type.

We struggled when we moved. I couldn't even get dd2 in for a trial at many gyms. At first glance she is not a gymnast with potential, all bambi legs and average flexibility. Her old coach saw something though and she was a very successful competitor, not something you always saw in training, and certainly not after one trial session- it's taken her new gym 6 months to realise how she manged to score so highly and win competitions.

If i thought she'd stick with wag i'd have certainly taken up her old coach's offer and used it to get her in a successful gym.

Funnily enough she did a holiday course at a high level tramp club, won a competition by miles, and has been offered a squad place, so it looks like she's switching to tramp anyway.

congrats to your daughter!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back