Parents Coach review of meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yup....DD has said that her coaches spend a considerable amount of time with each level to discuss positives and negatives of the girls performances after most meets.

Not all the time. Their event coach might not be at the meet and might not have seen their routines.

We have a team meeting after stretching. The top 3s and the personal bests and the 9s are celebrated. Then she talks about things the groups need to focus on (full turns on beam, etc). Then they go to their first event.

Nope. Not unless there were major issues (like everyone falling on beam- it's happened before!). I'm kinda glad in a way, it helps keep meet scores in perspective. Ultimately the coaches aren't super concerned with scores, they're concerned with good gymnastics. This helps dd not get hung up on things if she has a poor meet. It always just goes back to the gymnastics.

Our coaches do a line up right after the meet. If anything needs to be discussed, it is discussed there. Anything else is done individually at the next practice.

This is interesting. DH was an International rugby player and coach. It is standard practice to spend a lot of time disseminating the previous game, the teams strengths and weaknesses and to put more focus on weak areas in training. I wonder if because gym has a defined standard, a perfect goal if you will that every coach is (should) be aware of that they know what they should be working toward

Our coaches talk to the girls after the meet, before awards. Anything that isn't covered there will be discussed in practice the following week. There isn't a ton of focus on "errors" as they all generally know what's what, but there is a focus on corrections in practice, per usual.

No the coaches rarely mention anything about a competition after the day itself, might highlight a few positives but not always

Nope. Not unless there were major issues (like everyone falling on beam- it's happened before!). I'm kinda glad in a way, it helps keep meet scores in perspective. Ultimately the coaches aren't super concerned with scores, they're concerned with good gymnastics. This helps dd not get hung up on things if she has a poor meet. It always just goes back to the gymnastics.

This is what our gym does as well... The HC will tell you that she cares much more about the gymnast's performance at practice (accomplishments, skills, work ethic, etc) than what happens at a meet. She of course wants everyone to do well, but certainly is not a primary focus. Once they get back to the gym it's business as usual...

Yes, one of my DDs former coaches would take the practice after a meet to berate the girls over something he didn't like about overall performances (falling out of turns, even picking wedgies). Sometimes punish the whole group. Once in the line up he made a punishment for "every level 6 who balked on floor", i.e. my DD alone, and she had to complete the punishment while the others trained.

Other than that, no coaches have spent much time talking about meet performance at all. Obviously that would be my DDs preference at this point.

Girls' coaches, not so much unless there was a team-wide issue (i.e., everyone fell on a particular skill). Boys' coach spends some time at the first practice of the meet highlighting what they did well and what they can improve upon. I have rarely seen a post-meet postmortem in which he did not say irritably, "You guys would pick up so many tenths if you would just STICK YOUR LANDINGS!" :D

Reactions: sce
Nope, not a single word. I kind of think it weird in that you could really use meets as a learning experience, but maybe I'm wrong! Lol! I try and video my daughters routines and she watches them and immediately can figure out what she needs to work on..

Coach talks to them right after meet before awards about general team wide stuff, maybe pointing out a highlight here or there. Then on each event next practice if there is something that needs to be addressed a specialized assignment may be given or correction discussed. They will mention you got deducted for this or that or we need to work on this connection or this isn't scoring well in your routine, let's fix it or even change it.

I like that what they are getting deducted for is being talked about with them. It's not like scores and meets are the biggest focus but they do matter at this level and she wants to be competitive at westerns this year so she is grateful for it and the score isn't harped on.

She is at a gym where they will sacrifice a score to put in a more difficult skill in preparation for later in the season. They have a good balance.

Nope, not a single word. I kind of think it weird in that you could really use meets as a learning experience, but maybe I'm wrong! Lol! I try and video my daughters routines and she watches them and immediately can figure out what she needs to work on..
Its not the meet that is helping its the video.

Our coaches will video them at practice and accomplish the same thing.

Meet is the least of it, its the day in, day out practice..............

My DD's gym falls into the "not a word" category -- According to DD, meet performance is not discussed at all by coaches. It's just back to work as usual. A little feedback would be nice, but I imagine the coaches are just incorporating their feedback/corrections into the regular practices

Nope, next practice after a meet is back to business as usual. During the meet the coaches often give a little 10-20 second 'this is what I saw' rundown after each gymnast competed each event- like 'that's the best roundoff backhandspring you have done' or 'you didn't try hard enough to stay on the beam' ( my kiddo is level 3) but once they are back to the gym they rarely discuss meets.

mine gets feedback at the meet after each event - as do all the girls. i can see the HC over there waving his arms as he gives his critiques. and i was talking to one of her coaches and she said they watch the meet and formulate a plan for following practices. mine is having some issues on height on FT and BT on floor. i don't know how you coach to that but my dd said they were having them do ROBT up onto a higher mat. so i know they are working on this with all of them.

because i had a moment after her last meet with her floor routine, i know that my kid did get feedback from her HC about where her deductions were coming from and it was that she needed height on her tumbling. she just had a clean up session with her choreographer, who is a judge, and she said the same thing. although her floor routine looks so much cleaner now (minus the tumbling), including her leap pass.

ps - it wasn't a crazy mom moment it was a what can i do to help her not be last on floor moment. lol. they don't do privates at our gym but the choreographer is not a coach and it's ok to do follow ups with her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back