Provincials

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm just curious how other provinces do provincials, since I saw most (?) states have compulsory states as well. In Alberta levels 6-7 must qualify at zones (northerns and southerns). The top 65% qualify, regardless of score. We had level 5s qualify last year, but only optionals this year. Levels 8-10, aspire 1 and 2, instead try to qualify for westerns (at southern zones this weekend), and just have to register for provincials. How does it work in your province?

Ontario has Provincial Championships for Levels 6-10 in April and 3-5 in June, for the whole province and not by zone. Qualifying scores determined by average of 2 highest AA scores from qualifying meets, minimum 2 and maximum of 4 meets. Generally, top 32 Level 6-10 and top 40 Level 3-5 in each age category qualify...although so far Level 6 12, 13 and 14 year old girls qualified top 64 each. Qualifiers for 6-10 ended first weekend in March, still on-going for Level 3-5. Should note that there are also individual event qualified athletes for Levels 7-10, 14+ years. Hope that helps.

Ontario has Provincial Championships for Levels 6-10 in April and 3-5 in June, for the whole province and not by zone. Qualifying scores determined by average of 2 highest AA scores from qualifying meets, minimum 2 and maximum of 4 meets. Generally, top 32 Level 6-10 and top 40 Level 3-5 in each age category qualify...although so far Level 6 12, 13 and 14 year old girls qualified top 64 each. Qualifiers for 6-10 ended first weekend in March, still on-going for Level 3-5. Should note that there are also individual event qualified athletes for Levels 7-10, 14+ years. Hope that helps.

Man, I like this system way better. We've always had the same system in Alberta, before JO anyway, and far too often I've seen kids miss out because they've made an uncharacteristic mistake at zones. Or have the meet of their life, scoring over a 36, but then every other kid had the meet of their life, so they don't make it. And, I wasn't too clear, but we have zones for qualifying, but then provincials is for the whole province. Thanks for sharing!

In Quebec we have the top XX number of kids per category go to a Provincial qualifier, then XX number are purged. The number vary per category. We still use Argo Tyro, Novice, Senior for our four age groups, so obviously the L5 tyro (10-12) group is enormous and very few kids get to go to qualifiers, let alone provincials.

In Ontario they also qualify the top two or three I believe in the Argo, Tyro etc age groups for Easterns as well for Level 7+. The level 6 qualifying group for provincials is huge, top 64. Last year for compulsories it was nuts, 3 groups of 40 kids in each age group in level 3. Apparently this year they'll limit it more. They'll probably take top 80 in levels 3 and 4, Level 5 is only top 40 because it's not a popular level as many gyms skip it to go to 6.

In Ontario they also qualify the top two or three I believe in the Argo, Tyro etc age groups for Easterns as well for Level 7+. The level 6 qualifying group for provincials is huge, top 64. Last year for compulsories it was nuts, 3 groups of 40 kids in each age group in level 3. Apparently this year they'll limit it more. They'll probably take top 80 in levels 3 and 4, Level 5 is only top 40 because it's not a popular level as many gyms skip it to go to 6.

We don't use the argo, tyro etc levels anymore here, they are split up much more evenly. However, only level 6+ goes to provincials, so we don't have the issue of huge level 3/4 groups trying to qualify. Level 5 went last year, but I don't think we even had 40 level 5s in the whole province.

In Quebec we have the top XX number of kids per category go to a Provincial qualifier, then XX number are purged. The number vary per category. s.

P4, P5 and P6 have to compete in a qualifier, wich is this weekend. They took the first 72 gymnasts in each age group after 2 selections (they take the best total). The first 48 gymnasts at this qualifier will go the the provincial cup, in may.

It's a bit different for the other categories. They take a number of gymnasts and they go directly to provincials (which isn't the same competition as the P4-5-6):
  • P7 argo and tyro: 36 gymnasts
  • P7 novice and senior: 48 gymnasts
  • P8 tyro and novice: 32 gymnasts
  • P8 senior: 36 gymnasts
  • Aspire: first 16 aspire 2 gymnasts, then aspire 1 gymnasts, up to 32
  • JO9-10: 24 gymnasts
So complicated... And it changed during the season.

We still use Argo Tyro, Novice, Senior for our four age groups, so obviously the L5 tyro (10-12) group is enormous and very few kids get to go to qualifiers, let alone provincial

There are 216 girls in Tyro 5, 185 in Argo 4, more than 200 in novice 5...

P4, P5 and P6 have to compete in a qualifier, wich is this weekend. They took the first 72 gymnasts in each age group after 2 selections (they take the best total). The first 48 gymnasts at this qualifier will go the the provincial cup, in may.

It's a bit different for the other categories. They take a number of gymnasts and they go directly to provincials (which isn't the same competition as the P4-5-6):
  • P7 argo and tyro: 36 gymnasts
  • P7 novice and senior: 48 gymnasts
  • P8 tyro and novice: 32 gymnasts
  • P8 senior: 36 gymnasts
  • Aspire: first 16 aspire 2 gymnasts, then aspire 1 gymnasts, up to 32
  • JO9-10: 24 gymnasts
So complicated... And it changed during the season.

There are 216 girls in Tyro 5, 185 in Argo 4, more than 200 in novice 5...

How are you finding it in the gym. Is it better than the old system?

I think I prefer having three selections. First one is so early, we had so many changes in the program, so it's usually not the best one. If you mess up at the second one, it's pretty much over. For girls who don't qualify, two competitions is really not that much.

Also, one of my gymnasts was 60th after the first selection. She improved her total by one point at the second, but still finished 90th... Our division usually scores lower (I'm in division 2) in the selections, but once we get to the qualifiers, we are usually good enough to go to provincials. So I'd like to see more selections, with a rotation of the judges. Would be interesting to see the differences between scoring.

We don't use the argo, tyro etc levels anymore here, they are split up much more evenly. However, only level 6+ goes to provincials, so we don't have the issue of huge level 3/4 groups trying to qualify. Level 5 went last year, but I don't think we even had 40 level 5s in the whole province.
Level 3-5 in Ontario have Championships, just later in the year. Some she groups in those levels have hundreds of girls in them.

I think I prefer having three selections. First one is so early, we had so many changes in the program, so it's usually not the best one. If you mess up at the second one, it's pretty much over. For girls who don't qualify, two competitions is really not that much.

Also, one of my gymnasts was 60th after the first selection. She improved her total by one point at the second, but still finished 90th... Our division usually scores lower (I'm in division 2) in the selections, but once we get to the qualifiers, we are usually good enough to go to provincials. So I'd like to see more selections, with a rotation of the judges. Would be interesting to see the differences between scoring.

I agree, going down to two qualifiers makes no sense, if anything I would prefer to see the system of getting XX score at any qualifier, like in the US. That leading to a regional qualifier to Provincials. That would even out the uneven judging too. It is tough when they make so many changes in one year.

I love the idea of having a certain score. Many things changed this year. Defi program also changed a lot. We'll see how it goes next year!

Defi as changed a lot. 1-2 regional like it was before. 3-4 (together) provincial and 5-6 also together . You can showcase different skills upon completion within the same group. Defi 3 or 4. You cannot register to the defi 5 unless you have completed all the required elements from defi 4 as the are in 2 different groups. The beginning of the next season the federation resets the groups so you could enter the next defi group even if you did succeed at completed all the required elements in a lower group. But it's not like normal meets.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back