WAG Repeat Level 5?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

jlo

Proud Parent
My daughter (10) goes to a small gym and Level 5 is the highest - they started the Team back up with her and some other girls at Level 3 two years ago. Her and her friend have moved up a Level each season. They both competed Level 5 this season and did well. Scored mid 34s and 35s in several meets. We have not had our end of the season meeting yet and I'm not so sure they are going to do Optionals - not enough Coaches, girls and our gym doesn't even have a spring floor. Next closest gym is 40 minutes away and about 3x the cost. I'm not sure that is an option either. Is it silly to repeat Level 5 so she can stay where she is and possibly skip to Level 7 the following year? There are some skills that need perfected for sure. She can also change to the harder skills in the 5 routines - switch leap on floor, back handspring on beam and the different bar skills. I believe it will make her a better optional gymnast but I'm just so torn on what to do. Anyone else have this issue? We also only practice about 8 hrs a week and my daughter has pretty much made the podium every meet this season. Help!

Nothing wrong with repeating L5 with those scores IMO. They are good solid scores, but still room for improvement. However, Level 6 might be an option. The skill requirements are actually very similar to 5 and some might even say easier than 5, b/c the beam and floor routines can be a lot more simple. Bars is a little harder, requires higher casts and if you do a flyaway, you must do it from a cast and not tap swings. But overall they are very similar in requirements and your dd might enjoy L6 more than repeating L5 again. No spring floor in the gym will definitely be a problem as she moves into higher levels though. A lot more wear and tear on the joints without a spring floor IMO.

Reactions: jlo
I don't think that this next season would be my biggest concern, I'd definitely be thinking farther ahead and where her gymnastics may take her. No spring floor is not conducive to a healthy body long term, amd the more she's doing on that floor now, the harder her body will feel it later. No shame in repeating 5, it's not a super easy level, and she's not blowing it out of the water right now. I'd just be thinking, is gymnastics something your family can handle more long term, with a gym switch, higher cost, further drive, etc.

Thanks so much for the replies - they have one strip that is springy but the main floor is not - they do not even practice the punch front in their routines when doing them just run through it. Thankfully no injuries and she is an excellent tumbler but I know it will be needed in the higher levels. I am just thinking do one more year and if we switch gyms she should be more than ready for Optionals - she can do a back handspring on beam already just doesn't practice consistently. Main area of work would be bars - hasn't been her strongest but much better than beginning of the season! And she will start middle school after next year - so say she doesn't want to continue and do school sports I haven't sunk a ton of money into a new gym. So many things to think about its driving me crazy!

Middle school is such a big change and I think when many gymnasts decide if they want to continue with the higher hours (or have a social life)...I would stick with level 5 for one more year and buy yourself some time to see what kind of commitment she wants to make to the sport for the long haul.

I would repeat Level 5, especially if she can do the upgraded skills and keep moving forward while still being in compulsories. If they wouldn't let her upgrade the skills, I'd be 50/50 about it. But with her being able to move ahead skill-wise, it won't hurt at all. Even if she ends up doing Level 6 the following year (due to lack of giant or such), she will still be better for it. And yes, as she heads into middle school, another year older and wiser, she will know better if she wants to stay in it for the long haul (or however long), and then go ahead and add the time and money then.

Just something else to keep in mind. I think the transition to middle school was a big one for my little girl. Honestly, I wouldn't want to make a gym change, with a change in coaches, friends, commute at the same time she's adjusting to a new school, which may have a whole host of similar and other changes.

Very common to repeat L5, and can be very helpful in the long term. Level 5 demands a high level of precision on fundamentals to score well, so girls who excel at it usually turn out very polished.

Sounds like the tumble strip (strip of springy floor) is adequate, and coaches are mindful of not tumbling on the plain floor. Sounds like they are smartly making the most of what they have and your daughter is doing nicely. Staying where you are for another season, whether she does L5 or L6, sounds like a perfectly sound choice.

Who knows, maybe if you and some other stick around and grow with this gym, they will be able to afford a spring floor at some point. Curious, have you inquired about their plans for a spring floor in the future?

Best of luck!

Time to move. No optionals, not such great equpiment.

Unless you are OK with paying for her to keep the gymmie friends she has for 1 yr.

OK, so one of the gyms we compete against just got a spring floor a couple years ago. Prior to that, they had a carpet bonded foam floor that they set up and took down each practice.
They had girls as high as L8.
They did have a single strip of spring floor (the length of the diagonal) to practice their tumbling on.

I would wait to decide what to do. Maybe they will have L6... With a small team, you don't need that many coaches. Maybe they will ask her to repeat L5 with upgraded skills. Either way, I wouldn't switch with her going into middle school. If she still wants to do gym in 7th grade and the gym can't grow with her, then you will need to make a decision.

Good luck.

our HC got a rod floor to keep the girls off the spring floor as much as possible when tumbling. better for their joints. so if your gym doesn't even have a spring floor, i'd be concerned as well for the long term damage being done. and 8 hours/wk is really low for level 5! most 3's do at least 9 hours. but if it were me, i'd keep her in 5 another year adding in the level 6 skills. however, some of the level 7 skills need a really good foundation and more time in the gym (bars free hip to handstand). so you really need a coach that can teach them properly. good luck with your decision!

It sounds like your daughter is doing well for the training she is receiving. What are her goals? If she sees herself continuing with gymnastics for several more years, I would find a new program to fit her needs as soon as possible. Waiting another year would be a year lost of training in a system that she could flourish in. She may end up having to repeat level 5 at the new gym but, at least, she'd be training in their system. If it's something you're willing to do a year from now, why wait?

Very common to repeat L5, and can be very helpful in the long term. Level 5 demands a high level of precision on fundamentals to score well, so girls who excel at it usually turn out very polished.

Sounds like the tumble strip (strip of springy floor) is adequate, and coaches are mindful of not tumbling on the plain floor. Sounds like they are smartly making the most of what they have and your daughter is doing nicely. Staying where you are for another season, whether she does L5 or L6, sounds like a perfectly sound choice.

Who knows, maybe if you and some other stick around and grow with this gym, they will be able to afford a spring floor at some point. Curious, have you inquired about their plans for a spring floor in the future?

Best of luck!
Thanks! We had a steak fry last summer and raised enough to buy a new set of uneven bars - so I definitely think we could do something like that again to raise some money towards equipment. There are a lot more girls now since he started a Level 3 Team so that is more parents to help contribute etc. And with the program growing now maybe it will be an option! When we started @ Level 3 there were only 6 girls - which now it is just my daughter and her friend on Level 5 as some dropped out or repeated Level 4. I am not giving up home just yet! :)

OK, so one of the gyms we compete against just got a spring floor a couple years ago. Prior to that, they had a carpet bonded foam floor that they set up and took down each practice.
They had girls as high as L8.
They did have a single strip of spring floor (the length of the diagonal) to practice their tumbling on.

I would wait to decide what to do. Maybe they will have L6... With a small team, you don't need that many coaches. Maybe they will ask her to repeat L5 with upgraded skills. Either way, I wouldn't switch with her going into middle school. If she still wants to do gym in 7th grade and the gym can't grow with her, then you will need to make a decision.

Good luck.

She is just in 4th grade right now - so one more year until middle school - that's why I'm thinking stay and make sure she wants to commit to the higher levels upon middle school! I'm hoping they might consider L6 - only 2 girls though so not sure! I just hate the waiting game!

It sounds like your daughter is doing well for the training she is receiving. What are her goals? If she sees herself continuing with gymnastics for several more years, I would find a new program to fit her needs as soon as possible. Waiting another year would be a year lost of training in a system that she could flourish in. She may end up having to repeat level 5 at the new gym but, at least, she'd be training in their system. If it's something you're willing to do a year from now, why wait?
I have thought about that as well. I know she wants to do Optionals but she is getting antsy to play other sports as well. She has been doing gymnastics since age 6 and that is it. And the gym she is at is ridiculously cheap compared to the one 40 min away -which would add gas and time onto the cost of tuition. It is just a lot to process and I guess we will have to sit down and really discuss what her goals are. Thanks for the input!

our HC got a rod floor to keep the girls off the spring floor as much as possible when tumbling. better for their joints. so if your gym doesn't even have a spring floor, i'd be concerned as well for the long term damage being done. and 8 hours/wk is really low for level 5! most 3's do at least 9 hours. but if it were me, i'd keep her in 5 another year adding in the level 6 skills. however, some of the level 7 skills need a really good foundation and more time in the gym (bars free hip to handstand). so you really need a coach that can teach them properly. good luck with your decision!
Yes - def low hours and usually when we go to meets other teams are astonished with that and no spring floor! I guess our system isn't too bad as we tend to do really well but we do lack the ballet/dance aspect of the beam/floor routines because we don't do anything like that in practice. And thankfully the low hours has not burnt her out yet either - hopefully we will know by next month what the plan is! Thanks for you input!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back