So My Daughter Wants to Compete

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mom22

Proud Parent
My daughter is ten. She's been doing gymnastics for the past 7 months (rec levels). She wants to live at the gym. We started with one rec class and now I've put her in three and she's forever "practicing" at home. She'll even do push ups and sit ups on her own because she's seen the competitive girls doing them. She really wants to compete. I am new to gymnastics. Is she too old to compete? I have no illusions of her going to the Olympics or anything like that. We're in BC, Canada if that makes a difference.

I feel like it really depends on the gym. I started even later then her (12 and that was the first time I did rec) and now 4 1/2 years later I'm a level 7 gymnast. Since you live in canada the next step before team at a lot of gyms is Interclub. Where they get to have their own routines and go to fun competitions where they're are no scores and stuff. Then from there if she shows talent she can be invited to the competitive team. Also you can always talk to the head coach or the office at your gym and say how she is interested and what you should do.

I don't know what the system and programs are like in Canada but I definitely think it's worth a shot. I started when I was 10 and it wasn't easy when I first started on the competition team but it was so worth it. This is my first season competing and I love it :)

Thank you both for your replies. It's hard for me to know what to do. I want to be supportive but I also don't want to give her false hope. Thanks again.

It depends on the gym.
My cousin's son just started comp at age 10. He was interested, they talked to a coach, and he was evaluated. He is definitely in his element.
The gym I'm at you have to be invited into comp camps around 4-7 and do well in camps before you get into comp.

It really depends on your gym. Some gyms want only little kids to develop and others have a more open and welcoming comp program for older kids. Have you asked them what the process is for competitive team selection? Our gym has a program that's more hours than rec and doesn't compete as an intermediate step. They usually pull from that group for competitive, the gym owner tests the kids who are interested at the end of the session and they give out invites from there. It's probably good timing now for you to ask them as our new comp kids usually start in the summer or early fall.

And a late start doesn't mean she can't have a fulfilling gym career. Our gym took my DD on at around 8.5 and she's now an 11 year old Level 5 and doing very well.

After much thought about this, she tried out for Interclub and was accepted into the program. She is happy for now, which is all that counts. Thanks for the support.

That's great for her! Competing your own routines is a really fun experience[emoji854]

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back