Fear of backwalkovers on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

bridget

Gymnast
Ok this fear is driving me insane!! I had a backwalkover on beam last summer but I didn't work on them during practice so I lost the skill. Now I'm too scared to go backwards. I'm not scared of putting my hands on the beam just of the actual going backwards part. I can do it fine with a spot and with panel matts beside the low beam but once I try it by myself or lower the matts, I chicken out. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to fix this?

Ok this fear is driving me insane!! I had a backwalkover on beam last summer but I didn't work on them during practice so I lost the skill. Now I'm too scared to go backwards. I'm not scared of putting my hands on the beam just of the actual going backwards part. I can do it fine with a spot and with panel matts beside the low beam but once I try it by myself or lower the matts, I chicken out. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to fix this?
I'm not sure if this helps or not, but I recommend looking at your hands the whole time so you know you're not going anywhere.

For almost every other Skill i would say, do it a bunch of times where you feel comfortable and then do it on a scarier, but not by much place (like stacking off 1 mat). But really, BWO's can mess with your back. When you do it, really focus on what you are doing and then try to duplicate those feelings. Also, do not stand on the beam for more than 10 seconds or so without going, you Will only freak yourself out. For the rest, visualize. Visualize yourself while doing a perfect BWO on where you are going to do it right before you go, you Will feel much more confident (because a persons mind works strange)

Haha funny story I had for so long the biggest mental block for back walkovers. I could do them on the low beam, I could do them on the medium beam but once I got on the high beam I physically could not get myself to go back w/o spot. If my coach stood even near me I would go for I fine but if they walked away I couldn't do it. At one point I freaked myself out and stopped doing it all together, even with spot. Then one day my coach was standing there to spot me (btw this had been going on for months, all my coaches were frustrated I wouldn't just do it as was I) and she said I'm not standing hear waiting, go! I didn't and she pulled my hips downs to kinda for me to go (not in a dangerous way or anything) it startled me but after that I could do it every time[emoji23] anyway that's not very useful but it was funny. That's how I got over my mental block[emoji23][emoji106]

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back