WAG L7 beam series

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

reluctant

Proud Parent
All the posts about stress fractures in girls' backs, confirm my desire to keep my daughter from doing back walkovers on the beam. As she moves to level 7 and needs a series, what are options that don't include a back walkover? She's currently competing back handspring at level 5.

My DD has discussed the following options with her coaches:
cartwheel RO
FWO RO
Cw/Cw w/separate RO
handstand splashdown/backward roll w/separate RO.

Any connected acro series will work as long as flight element is somewhere in the routine.

ETA: my DD doesn’t do bwo or bhs. Obviously bhs/bhs or handstand/bhs are more common then my DDs ideas.

All the posts about stress fractures in girls' backs, confirm my desire to keep my daughter from doing back walkovers on the beam. As she moves to level 7 and needs a series, what are options that don't include a back walkover? She's currently competing back handspring at level 5.
Does she gave trouble with her back or doing cackwakivers? Many kids are actually fine with the skill. Alternative series have been suggested above too though.

There is also tick-tock back handspring but that still involves an arching skill. I have even seen cartwheel, round-off a d cartwheel-cartwheel
With a seoerate flight skill.

It is 2 seconds and handstand can be held in any position. Many hold it in the split position, which is a little easier to hold and lines the gymnast up nicely for stepping into the BHS.

The downside - one of our better beam girls, regularly in the 9.4 range, had this as her L7 series. At states, she didn't hold it long enough even in a split and didn't get credit for the series. Lost .5.

Does she gave trouble with her back or doing cackwakivers? Many kids are actually fine with the skill. Alternative series have been suggested above too though.

She can physically do a back walkover on the beam, she just says it hurts, so I'd rather not risk it. She doesn't have any problem sticking the back handspring on the beam. (Can't say the same about the full turn.)

Reactions: sce
She can physically do a back walkover on the beam, she just says it hurts, so I'd rather not risk it. She doesn't have any problem sticking the back handspring on the beam. (Can't say the same about the full turn.)
If she says it hurts, she honestly needs to quit doing them before she starts doing the.. Bwo=back killers and dream enders.

My DD is working a BHS-BHS series but competes CW to RO. She competed HS-BHS at a few meets, but she was the only one on her team to do so because she can basically hold a HS on a beam all day.

DD competed HS-BHS her first season of L7, BHS-BHS the second (as well as this season, first L8). She is actively working her BHS-BLO. I don’t really know why, she actually has a pretty BWO but hates it (no back issues) so she never really pursued that, even as a L5 she competed the upgrade BHS for most of the season.
The HSdoes have to be held for at least the required 2sec, and the connection can be hard to get credit for . We do have one girl doing CW-RO as her series, but (I will be completely honest) it is a last resort for a girl who has lost all back tumbling and has siblings on the competitive team so she is given “special consideration”.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back