MAG Independent training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Charlie06

Proud Parent
Hi all, I’d love to know your thoughts on the following issue. To cut a long story short my son is 11 years old and has previously been on the elite track but I don’t think he’s up to it this year, mostly due to not enough training hrs. The HC has offered his group the option of coming in for extra training one night a week but with no coach. There will be other coaches in the gym coaching rec or girls etc. He has also told them there has to be at least 2 boys training. My son is the youngest the other boys range from 13-16 years. I just don’t feel that much training will happen - more messing, and it’s just not worth another evening of running around. But maybe I’m not giving my son enough credit, maybe the boys already work independently more than I realise, maybe even a bit of extra training would benefit him.

What will they do those trainings? And will some trainer be supervising or really not at all? My 11 yo occassionally does have trainings without his coach with his elite group, when coach is abroad for competitions. He is the youngest in this group followed by a couple of 14 year old girls, a couple of 15-16-17 year olds and some seniors. A few of the seniors are training themselves but they do have a trainers license and are supervising. It works fine as long as they stick to strength and conditioning and basics. I would not like him to be training more difficult stuf in this setting. They do not do have the most productive sessions but still serious enough to benefit I guess.

In your case I would like to know if there will be a supervisor, a maybe written out programme of some sort that they can follow, and what they will be doing exactly during these training. If it is mainly strength, flexibility conditioning and basics, they do get good guidelines they can follow and there will be some kind of supervision, I guess I would give it a try.

Thank you for your thoughts - There will be no supervision, but they do have a training plan to follow, I assume it will be mostly strength & conditioning stuff. I guess the answer is to try it and see what happens. My son doesn’t seem that keen, he likes to be coached and does work very hard when coached well, but shows his immaturity when it comes to self motivation - I’m hoping that will come with time!!

It seems odd that the gym would allow this. I know here, they would not be allowed to train without a coach. If the kids stick to the training plan, then things might be ok, and hopefully they don't get the urge to show off to one another.

At my son's gym, optionals may come in an extra day and do an independent workout, but they can't work out in an area of the gym where a coach is not present. My son occasionally takes advantage of this if he has to miss a practice. I think it really depends on the kid. DS comes in, does what he needs to do efficiently, and gets out, but sometimes they can get sidetracked without a coach to direct them. If you have your guy do this, I'd advise sticking around for the first few times to see how effectively he uses the time. He may or may not be ready to do a good self-directed workout.

I think it depends on who your kid is and who the other kids there are. Bad behavior during stretching and conditioning (which is often self-directed working off a list even though coaches are present but coaching other groups) has been a reoccurring issue at our gym, the least of which is some of the older tweens and teens discussing things no 11 year old should hear.

If one of my kids had a night off from practice but wanted to keep training, I would probably take them to shoot hoops or kick a soccer ball around or go for a run- the kind of things kids cannot do at gym but are certainly beneficial.

At my son's gym, optionals may come in an extra day and do an independent workout, but they can't work out in an area of the gym where a coach is not present.

This would be the issue at our gym. Now, my son works out 20+ hours a week, so not a lot of independent time, but if there are no boys' coaches there, then that would leave out highbar/pbars/pommel and rings lol.

OP..are the coaches at teh gym on board with this? Do they know that technically they will be responsible for extra students if something should happen? If so, then it would be worth a try.

It seems odd that the gym would allow this. I know here, they would not be allowed to train without a coach. If the kids stick to the training plan, then things might be ok, and hopefully they don't get the urge to show off to one another.
I know, that’s what I’m worried about!

At my son's gym, optionals may come in an extra day and do an independent workout, but they can't work out in an area of the gym where a coach is not present. My son occasionally takes advantage of this if he has to miss a practice. I think it really depends on the kid. DS comes in, does what he needs to do efficiently, and gets out, but sometimes they can get sidetracked without a coach to direct them. If you have your guy do this, I'd advise sticking around for the first few times to see how effectively he uses the time. He may or may not be ready to do a good self-directed workout.
I think that’s what I’ll end up doing, however, I don’t know about you but when ever I do watch them train it always looks like they’re doing hardly anything! Then they show up to a completion and blow me away!!

I sometimes let one or two kids in to do a make-up/conditioning practice, but only if I or another team coach can keep an eye on them. My gym would never have an unsupervised group. Especially boys! (really think about it - how would you justify this in court should an accident occur?) Maybe, maybe - come in and do an hour of scripted conditioning and then stretch. But that's it.
KRC

This would be the issue at our gym. Now, my son works out 20+ hours a week, so not a lot of independent time, but if there are no boys' coaches there, then that would leave out highbar/pbars/pommel and rings lol.

OP..are the coaches at teh gym on board with this? Do they know that technically they will be responsible for extra students if something should happen? If so, then it would be worth a try.
Hi, yes the other coaches have been asked to keep an eye on this group. They will be training on all the boys apparatus though!

Yeah, with multiple unsupervised older boys who have Instagram accounts, you never know when someone's going to get the bright idea of swiping some duct tape from the front desk to make an instant GoPro out of his cell phone by taping it to his head and . . .

Yeah, with multiple unsupervised older boys who have Instagram accounts, you never know when someone's going to get the bright idea of swiping some duct tape from the front desk to make an instant GoPro out of his cell phone by taping it to his head and . . .
Haha genius :))))

Spoken as only a mom of a boy can speak :D

Our old gym allowed any team kids to come in and practice if their coach was in the gym. They had to present their very specific training plan to their coaches before practice. I only sent DS a few times as he was young. But I only saw any boys being approved to work on pommel, strap bar or tumble track for maybe an hour during this time.

How many hours is he currently training? My 12 year old does 16 hours a week. I have seen how 11-12 year old boys act when their coach has to leave them unsupervised for a few minutes, let alone a long period of time. Our previous gym, my son was coached by a coach who was trying to coach boys and T&T at the same time. Mostly the boys wrestle around, throw blocks from the foam pits at each other, and do flips into the pit from the high bar or vault, without spotting or supervision. I always thought it was dangerous.

If your son needs extra conditioning, I would recommend that the coach draw up a plan for your son. Our family gym has "teen time" a couple nights a week where the kids can use weights and equipment. I would feel more comfortable with something like a parentally supervised independent conditioning than just letting kids this age just use equipment. At this age, they really need to develop strength in order to do the skills. I see value in extra conditioning but letting them practice on the apparatus without spotting or corrections could lead to injury.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back