WAG Training at a reduced cost, or for free

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmiestar

Proud Parent
If a gymnast receives free training, due to talent, while others pay their full monthly tuition, does that make her NCAA ineligible? Are the repercussions for this?

I don;t think so. You can have your training paid for, but you can't profit from your sport.

What if the gym profits from the athlete? So athlete gains new skills or wins competitions, and then gym posts on social media? Gym profits from gymnast receiving free training...

If the gym pays for her training, or simply doesn’t charge her to train, and she goes pro, there are no consequences, correct? Can this harm any of the other gymnasts NCAA eligibility who are dutifully paying for their children to train?

That’s good to know. So other than being completely unfair, the gymnasts who’s parents pay their tuition in full are unharmed. Is this common practice among gyms to allow athletes to train for free? Personally, I would not be able to send my daughter in good conscience if I wasn’t paying for her training in full.

Do you know their circumstances aswell. There’s many reasons why a gym would provide training for a gymnast for free. Such as I said before maybe a scholarship for her hard work and talent. Or maybe her family is unable to afford it and the gymnast is a hard worker and has talent so the gym has decided to help them out. I mean I really don’t think it should or does affect anyone else or be anyone else’s business

I'm from the UK, so sorry if this is a stupid question, but why would NCAA want to know whether they had paid for their own training?

We have someone at our gym that I believe GB gymnastics 'helps out' financially, but I don't have a problem with it. The girl is very talented, and I don't think would be able to continue gym without it. She has a tricky family situation happening at the moment, and if it helps her stay in the sport, it's all good.

There are no scholarships at our gym. They are not financially strapped. The child is talented. However, there are many talented girls at our gym with lots of potential. We could all use a tuition break. I’m all for providing a scholarship to someone who is deserving. This situation is wildly unfair. I am just simply wondering if this will effect her NCAA scholarship chances in any way.

There are no scholarships at our gym. They are not financially strapped. The child is talented. However, there are many talented girls at our gym with lots of potential. We could all use a tuition break. I’m all for providing a scholarship to someone who is deserving. This situation is wildly unfair. I am just simply wondering if this will effect her NCAA scholarship chances in any way.
Won't affect it. She is not being paid to do gymnastics. How much a gym charges (or doesn't charge) is between the business owner and the individual customer.

Gymmiestar, you need to talk to the owners at your gym. Without knowing the circumstances, no one here is going to give you the knock-down, absolute ammunition you seem to be seeking. What you're doing, whether you intend it thus or not, looks like concern trolling.

Gymmiestar, you need to talk to the owners at your gym. Without knowing the circumstances, no one here is going to give you the knock-down, absolute ammunition you seem to be seeking. What you're doing, whether you intend it thus or not, looks like concern trolling.
Not concern trolling at all, just trying to understand the process. Again, I’m all for helping someone in need. Just unsure of the rules for doing that, so I turned to this site for help. That’s all.

I guess I feel like the biggest concern here is that you know that another gymnast has a scholarship. I feel like that should be private between the gym owners and the family receiving the scholarship. My girls have been on substantial scholarship at two gyms now, and they probably would’ve been mortified had that been made public knowledge. I guess I’m just not sure why it’s your business at all.

. Is this common practice among gyms to allow athletes to train for free?

I wouldn’t know. What the other folks pay or don’t at our gym is none of my business or concern. Nor is another kids NCAA eligibility.

There are some basic discounts published. Military kids and siblings get a percent off. I guess I could complain as we aren’t in the Army or only have one kid.

Other then that I have no idea what any actually pays. It doesn’t effect my kid, not my business.

Keep in mind I am not US based...

Interestingly, the conditions of 95% of academic and sporting scholarships where I am include confidentiality. Primarily to protect the child from the kind of attitude you seem to be displaying - the "it's not fair they get special treatment" scenario. I work in both a gym as a senior coach, and in a high school, and in both cases there are very few publicly acknowledged scholarships. Anyone is welcome to apply, if you are granted a scholarship, you are bound to not share that info for risk of having it withdrawn. It sounds like someone, somewhere has breached confidentiality.

I fail to see how a financial scholarship, unfairly favors a gymnast. If you are in need of financial assistance then you should speak directly to the gym, rather than try and derail another families opportunity. I would also suggest it would not look good if word got back to the gym / athletes family that you were following this line of questioning... Just my opinion.

It concerns me that you feel qualified to judge who is and isn't deserving.... Unless you have some position of authority at the gym that you haven't disclosed, which then constitutes a professional issue..

Personally, I would be glad to see a child could continue in gymnastics regardless of their ability to pay. This is an extremely expensive sport even at the beginning competitive levels and it is upsetting that so many deserving kids are excluded because of finances.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back