WAG sprained ankle

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Niamh Taylor

Coach
Gymnast
unfortunately I sprained my ankle 3 days ago, it is only mild to moderate luckily though. however I have been told I may not be able to do impact for 3 weeks, which Is when my next competition is. I have been working really hard on lots of upgrades, and really want to show some of them off. Has anyone got any experiences with sprains, is there any chance I may be able to compete (even with basic watered-down routines)?

Other might disagree, but if it is a true sprain, i would not even attempt to compete so soon. You need to let it heal or you can make it worse. If it was just a wonky landing that feels better the next day, you can test and see how it feels.

Other might disagree, but if it is a true sprain, i would not even attempt to compete so soon. You need to let it heal or you can make it worse. If it was just a wonky landing that feels better the next day, you can test and see how it feels.
thanks for the advice, I'm going to take my recovery slow and proper, so I only have to do it once, hopefully. It doesn't look good at the moment and so I won't push for anything but I may have the opportunity to compete only on bars, for the experience.

My dd sprained her ankle on March 1. It was rough — looked like Kim Kardashian’s swollen pregnancy foot. She didn’t start tumbling or vaulting for 6 weeks. She has to miss state, which was end I March, but she is now healed and able to uptrain through the summer.

It hurts to miss meets, but the body needs to heal.

my dancer is dealing with this right now. she's on week 5 or 6 and it's still a bit swollen. she did some switch leaps 2 weeks ago and it still hurt. so she didn't do them last week. is trying again this week. her recital is father's day and nationals is mid-july. luckily she sprained it after her one and only regular competition.
take it easy. you don't want to re injure it. the ER doc told us that after a couple of weeks she may feel better (she didn't) but that injuring it again could happen easily.

My DD has done a high ankle sprain and it's bren four weeks so far. It's gotten a lot better but she still is not tumbling on it . She started to do some tumble track but very little . Her coaches are taking it slow.

I sprained my ankle on January 10. It was extremely swollen and did not return to normal size until about April. That weekend, I competed bars and beam (with no back tuck or roundoff dismount) with a very heavily taped ankle. I didn't tumble or vault for a month though. So yes, there's a chance you could compete, but use your judgement and trust your coaches if they want you to take it slow. Also, be honest with your coaches, and most importantly yourself about your pain.

I sprained my ankle in college. I followed doctors orders and stayed off it for 3 weeks. Healed and ready to go 3 weeks out. Classmate with a sprain did not stay off it. Was confused whystcat 4 weeks out she was no where near ready to go

I sprained my ankle in college. I followed doctors orders and stayed off it for 3 weeks. Healed and ready to go 3 weeks out. Classmate with a sprain did not stay off it. Was confused whystcat 4 weeks out she was no where near ready to go
my friend sprained her ankle last august, didn't stay off it, and it still isn't 100%, meaning since then she has only competed bars. I'm going to learn from her mistakes and stay off it until I feel 100% ready. My coach is being really good with it and making me stay off it instead of pushing me to compete, which I was worried about.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back