WAG When/if to talk to coach about college?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD was level 8 last year so will be either level 8 or 9 in 7th grade this upcoming year. I know the coach would generally love to get girls to college gymnastics so I assume she is moving them along as well as she can given their skills. Is there any point sitting down with the coach and mapping out how to best get my DD to college gymnastics. I know it is by no means a given that she will do college gym, but I just want to make sure we head in the right direction to make it a possibility. On the other hand, I don't think the coach would change anything based on this info. What do the rest of you do? What would you do. Seems like we could have a conversation and then injuries would make the whole thing moot. Or we could not have a conversation and she would progress naturally to level 10. Hmmm....

If your curous and have questions yes ask away. But "mapping"
Out a path is a little strange, because she is already on the path. In other words that is already the plan.

If your curous and have questions yes ask away. But "mapping"
Out a path is a little strange, because she is already on the path. In other words that is already the plan.
Yes ... this.
OP, if it helps, I will map out the plan for you:
Have her compete L8 or L9, depending on skills this year. If she does L8, put in as many upgrades as she can (as they are competition ready) throughout the season. If she does L9, put in as many upgrades as she can (as they are competition ready) throughout the season. Keep working higher skills in practice. Hope to qualify and do well in Easterns/Westerns at L9. After L9, have her compete L10. Keep competing L10, upgrading skills as they are competition ready until she graduates high school. Hope she qualifies for Nationals and does well there. Get her seen by college coaches. Do college camps if possible. Do unofficial visits and official visits to colleges when the time is right. Unofficial visits can be done to rule out a college for non-gymnastics reasons as well as gymnastics reasons.
Good luck.

I have also seen it suggested on here to set up a YouTube channel that features your DD and her gymnastics achievements. Then she can reach out to college coaches at schools she is interested in by email and send them the link so they can see what she is doing. I’m not sure if that’s something you would start now or not until she made it to level 10, but if you search you might find that info on here somewhere. Otherwise, hopefully someone who knows more than me about the subject will chime in.

Perhaps the best thing to do at this stage is let your coach know that your daughter wants to do college gym. While it may be a given in good gyms, some coaches (newer, inexperienced coaches/gyms) don't have this in mind. We've had several gymnasts express discontent with how our coach did nothing to prepare them or assist them in getting into a college team only to have our coach say "I did not even know they were interested". So it may not be a given and a good talk with the coach is a good idea. That said, your daughter just finished Level 8. College coaches don't look at gymnasts until they have Level 10 skills. You can start posting videos of her level 9 meets and perhaps contact coaches at that time. Going to college summer camps is also a good way to start a relationship with the coaches. Keep in mind also that there are now new rules in college recruiting that limit gymnasts communication with college coaches and verbally committing prior to their junior year. Unless your daughter is in the elite route, coaches will likely wait until your daughter is a sophomore to even consider her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back