WAG Temporary training facility announced

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Although far from the west coast, there are quite a few non-stop, affordable flights from LAX, PHX, DEN and SLC to TPA (about 45 minutes north). SFO and SJC are a bit harder into TPA, but they have good non-stops into Orlando (MCO). The Ft. Myers airport has a full JetBlue flight schedule and is maybe an hour south from IMG.

Sarasota/Bradenton (SRQ) is closest to IMG and EVO.

MidWesterners may be very happy with cheap Allegiant non-stop flights into PIE (Clearwater/St. Petersburg) which is about 30 minutes NW from IMG.

I believe the plentiful and cheap non-stop flight options was one of the reasons the IMG and EVO big was well received by USAG and USOC.

Orlando ? That’s over 130 miles away ..... west coasters have to spend an entire day traveling so they will have to fly in a day early or take a red eye . And if you have ever flown out of LAX from anywhere other than the immediate surrounding area it’s a 1.
- 2 hour drive to get there along with having to get there extra early because it’s hard to fly in and out of. Reality is no one cares so long as they don’t have to do it. For me to get to Sarasota is an entire day (remember we lose 3 hours as well ).
Although far from the west coast, there are quite a few non-stop, affordable flights from LAX, PHX, DEN and SLC to TPA (about 45 minutes north). SFO and SJC are a bit harder into TPA, but they have good non-stops into Orlando (MCO). The Ft. Myers airport has a full JetBlue flight schedule and is maybe an hour south from IMG.

MidWesterners may be very happy with cheap Allegiant non-stop flights into PIE (Clearwater/St. Petersburg) which is about 30 minutes NW from IMG.

I believe the plentiful and cheap non-stop flight options was one of the reasons the IMG and EVO big was well received by USAG and USOC.

USAG was never going to find a place that everyone was 100% happy with. The ranch was in the boonies travel wise. Florida has to be a vague improvement on that for some people, though locals not so much.

Let's also assume that this location is not the permanent solution either, just what they could find to get the job done for now. They must be looking at more cost effective, long term solutions.

The Olympic training center .... its central and it already has land available . I agree with bog that the men’s gym is less then ideal (heck even I trained there). So maybe it’s time for then to build a new joint facility for both men’s and women’s . And remember traveling west you actually gain time .

Well until you fly back home, then it is brutally stolen back.
Its a cruel joke on society. :) Colorado is Mountain time so at least its less. The problem arises with camp when you have to get there and workout. So lets say workout is at 2:30 on opening day. good luck getting from the west to sarasota by 2:30 to work out. unless you ride a red eye. and by the way I grew up in clearwater so the notion of getting from Tampa airport to sarasota in 45 min is laughable, maybe if you are George Jetson.... more like an hour and a half at best... so most will have to fly the day prior and stay in a hotel? I am sure safesport will be fine with that... not to mention lost wages, lost time with your kids left back at the gym, lost time for you as a coach. It's just going to be a big pain in the ...

Seems like the west coast always gets the shaft on National events. Rarely are big events held out here. So far for Nationals we've had to travel to Tulsa and Greensboro. And let's be real, Greensboro is not exactly airport friendly. So first I have to take ALL day to get to North Carolina, and then I have to drive another two hours to get from the airport to my hotel and my kid's supposed to be ready for training at 8am? Thanks. So we end up adding another day, another night in a hotel, another day with the rental car. Why can't we A)pick places in the middle of the country or B) alternate every other damned year???

Seems like the west coast always gets the shaft on National events. Rarely are big events held out here. So far for Nationals we've had to travel to Tulsa and Greensboro. And let's be real, Greensboro is not exactly airport friendly. So first I have to take ALL day to get to North Carolina, and then I have to drive another two hours to get from the airport to my hotel and my kid's supposed to be ready for training at 8am? Thanks. So we end up adding another day, another night in a hotel, another day with the rental car. Why can't we A)pick places in the middle of the country or B) alternate every other damned year???

One would think....

Reactions: sce

So it is still pretty far from a major airport? That was one of the many issues with the Ranch is the long drive from a major airport.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back