Parents Success without pre-team?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My first advice is to try not to stress, and do not berate yourself. As parents we make 1000's of choices for our kids and some are bad, some are good, and some you never really know. Not putting your very young child in preteam at a time it did not really work for your family was a rational choice. You have no idea what would have happened if she HAD done pre-team. It may have been a terrible decision.

Most little girls who adore gymnastics at 6 do not stay with it long term. They find other things to love and do. Yes, even if they are very talented and have every opportunity. Most people simply do not stick with the passions they have as young children. Some do. The vast majority do not...

It sounds like your daughter loves gymnastics so if you want to encourage that passion, I would suggest have her take as many rec classes as you can well afford both financially and logistically, and watch the classes. Choose the classes that have the best instructors. No reason all the classes need be at the same gym. I agree about asking about privates if there are specific areas she needs work on.

I also suggest, let the coaches know your dd wants to do team. Better, have HER tell the coaches. I do not mean nag them every day, just remind them once every few months. And then make sure she is showing the coaches that she can be focused and do what is asked. It is harder for a gymnast to be focused in rec class when the other kids are there to socialize and play. But this also makes it easier for a focused kid to stand out. That is how my youngest son made it onto team without doing any kind of preteam. He was not the most talented but he was (and still is) a pleasure to coach because he rarely goofs off, is always respectful, and applies corrections given.

6 may be too old for preteam at the gyms around you, but there is certainly no rule about it as far as what is "too old for team." Our gym has a huge, successful girls team, many of the girls go on to do gymnastics in college, and I recently spoke to a mom whose daughter got on the team at age 11. (She was not someone with no physical training of course, she had danced before.)
Also there are other things gymnastics training is good for. There are even other kinds of gymnastics (acro, t and t, rhythmic.)

If in your area, it turns out every gym is uber competitive and there really is no chance of getting on team past the ripe old age of 6, then introduce your child to other sports or to dance. She will find something else she loves.

I would scout out the other gyms based on what you have written. Our experience with DD when she was 6yrs that the gym she was at didn't believe she was pre-team L3 material let alone TOPs because she didn't fit their gym's preferred body type. At that time my husband and myself knew nothing about gymnastics but there was a "gut" feeling that my daughter should be given a change to shine elsewhere...
Today my DD is 11yrs old and preparing for her first L9 meet in several weeks thanks to her current gym that gives every kid/body type a chance.
Enjoy the journey don't let one gym's opinion be the only say.

Ugh. I was worried this might be the case. I had a feeling that your current gym ultimately might not work out....

Keep doing research re: gyms within a reasonable drive. Maybe gym #3 will be the answer? You will find a good fit somewhere I am sure! My experience was similar to @InbarSquirrel -- first gym said my DD was not L3 material at age 7 because she didn't have the right body type so we eventually (but not right away) moved to a gym willing to give her a chance. New gym's philosophy is that gymnastics is for everyone. Mine is now a 10 year old L7.

In the meantime, of course, sign up for rec classes. Two per week if you can. Like @Madden3 suggested, I might consider rec classes at two different gyms. Honestly there is not much reason to stay at your current gym for the rec classes (except for convenience) since they have pretty much told you she will be too old for pre-team this spring/summer. At least gym #2 is more flexible with its pre-team age...

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Update: it’s been awhile so thought I would update! Gym #3 was the answer! Just before the new year we did a trial class for “ages 5/6 advanced.” The coach loved her and sort of took her under her wing. She’s been with that coach for the last month and now she is moving her up to their team development class and she said she will likely be able to move to level 3 soon. I’m just so relieved to have my dd at a gym that seems to take interest in their students and move them up appropriately. She has already made so much progress in a month. Along with having a coach that cares, she is also with other girls her age which she really enjoys! Thanks so much for all your advice! Without it I don’t know if I would’ve continued to pursue other options!

Oh and as a bonus- we bought our new house and it’s closer to this gym. It’s like it was meant to be!:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back