MAG Question regarding coaching...style, I guess?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
First, when my son switched gyms it means a 45-50 minute drive in traffic. The drive home is faster though. Second, there is one caoch for all the levels?!? That is concerning. There should be someone nearby teaching correcting, keeping an eye out for safety. I still can't say that I've evern known a coach not to spot. Even at camps and clinics they all spot. When I think about it, my son;s worked with a lot of coaches, they are all hands on. Even when not spotting are nearby and engaged with corrections. His caoch now is amazing, when they do floor, and sometimes vault at the same time, the boys are pretty spread out. He sees everything and makes corrections, and moves around to spot all who need it.

I second looking at meetscoresonline. Most states post their state emet scores there. You can then look at the level 9 and level 10 session and sort by gym to see who has boys at that level.

That is how one coach in particular at my DD’s gym is....truly sees everything that goes on throughout the entire gym whether she is watching that group or not!

The gym has team boys at night, and then also team boys that are homeschooled (which includes my boys). I am not there most evenings, but I believe there are 7-10 boys, ranging from pre-team up to level 9. Our day practice has about 12-15 boys, ranging from some little preschool boys up to level 8. Things can get pretty hectic, esp. with the little guys around.

I have been checking Meetscoreonline a bit, to see how everyone scores.

Yes I just want to add- I hope my son's comments about not needing a spot on straps or for a kip do not give the impression that what you described further is appropriate. He meant that in those specific cases, the coach may not be always standing right there ready to literally catch someone as there is theoretically no need to. I think both he and I had the (wrong) impression from your OP that you were being a bit nitpicky. From subsequent posts I would call what you are describing negligent coaching.

I agree, start with any gyms who have a full consort of boys (Levels 4-10, or close.) Even leaving aside scores, that would be a good starting point. But you also want to know if the upper level kids have been "homegrown" or not. I think there may be a way to look back on meetscores for an individual athlete and see their "history" but not sure if that includes what gym.

Also- Are you saying there is only one coach present during practice? No other adult?

Ah no worries.....it took me a long time to write things out so that I could be as tactful as possible, since I would have been extremely offensive if I had stated things as clearly as I had wanted to.

And yes, during the day he is the only coach for the team. There are other adults in the building, for the rec classes and preschool, as well as some at the front desk. And of course those of us who stay during practice. In the evening, there is occasionally someone else there helping him, although I am not certain of the frequency.

It depends. The majority of gyms will not refund any competition fees so you would be out anything you've paid. That being said, I know people who for various reasons have switched gyms in the middle of competition season and are somehow able to figure out the logistics to compete for their new gym.

Wow, what you’re describing sounds unsafe to me, not to mention a waste given the financial and time commitments gymnastics takes. My boys’ coaches all spot and provide a ton of drills and feedback. Warmups are run by the kids but it’s a big honor to be the leader and they take it seriously (it’s mostly because one practice is ending when the next has already started). Then they split into groups of about 6 kids and divide across events for that day. One coach is on each event with those 6 kids. One kid on the equipment with the coach and the other 5 working drill stations. They rotate through with the coach many times on each event where the coach spots and gives feedback. Coach will also stop and go over to drill stations to spot/correct form if he sees issues.

Reactions: sce
Wow, what you’re describing sounds unsafe to me, not to mention a waste given the financial and time commitments gymnastics takes. My boys’ coaches all spot and provide a ton of drills and feedback. Warmups are run by the kids but it’s a big honor to be the leader and they take it seriously (it’s mostly because one practice is ending when the next has already started). Then they split into groups of about 6 kids and divide across events for that day. One coach is on each event with those 6 kids. One kid on the equipment with the coach and the other 5 working drill stations. They rotate through with the coach many times on each event where the coach spots and gives feedback. Coach will also stop and go over to drill stations to spot/correct form if he sees issues.

This is how it is in my daughter’s gym, so it is a HUGE contrast to the boys’ gym. We spent some time this evening observing at another gym, and I am pretty sure that we saw more spotting/real coaching in that hour, than we see in our gym in several weeks’ time.

It depends. The majority of gyms will not refund any competition fees so you would be out anything you've paid. That being said, I know people who for various reasons have switched gyms in the middle of competition season and are somehow able to figure out the logistics to compete for their new gym.

Our current gym is very laid back about fees, etc. So at this point, I have not paid for anything for this year other than tuition. Although honestly, I am past the point of caring if we lost some $$ in the process of changing. We are trying to set up a trial with the gym we observed tonight....they have concerns about getting uniforms, and joining in at this point in the year. They are going to discuss it and get back to me. I am also prepared to accept that they might not compete this year, let them spend the next year doing some REAL training, and then be ready to really go for it next year. But we will see what is decided. One thing in our favor is that my boys did very well last year, and my younger one placed higher than their boys in the first meet we’ve all done this year, so they will probably look like a good addition to the team.

Our current gym is very laid back about fees, etc. So at this point, I have not paid for anything for this year other than tuition. Although honestly, I am past the point of caring if we lost some $$ in the process of changing. We are trying to set up a trial with the gym we observed tonight....they have concerns about getting uniforms, and joining in at this point in the year. They are going to discuss it and get back to me. I am also prepared to accept that they might not compete this year, let them spend the next year doing some REAL training, and then be ready to really go for it next year. But we will see what is decided. One thing in our favor is that my boys did very well last year, and my younger one placed higher than their boys in the first meet we’ve all done this year, so they will probably look like a good addition to the team.

As our assistant coach said about our guys when we weren't quite set with uniforms for the first meet, "It's boys. No one cares if they all match." Lol!

As our assistant coach said about our guys when we weren't quite set with uniforms for the first meet, "It's boys. No one cares if they all match." Lol!

That was my thought, esp. for the first meet, but heck I’m not in charge. And maybe it was the standard line so she could have an excuse?? I am supposed to hear back in the next day or so, so

True dat! Our boys don't match. Some have different singlets because HC doesn't require us to buy new uniforms if the old ones still fit, even if the new ones are different.

OP - we switched mid-season to a gym 45 mins away for my son and it has been the best thing :)

Our MAG program is easy about uniforms, too. It's funny how much less stock MAG puts in appearance than WAG, overall.

Reactions: sce
Our second trial went well, and we are moving to the new gym!! We will be starting officially on Friday. Lots of excitement but a bit of nerves too....change is always a little scary. While no place is ever perfect, we are very hopefully that this will be a better fit for us. Thank you to everyone for all of your advice and sharing of stories.

Our second trial went well, and we are moving to the new gym!! We will be starting officially on Friday. Lots of excitement but a bit of nerves too....change is always a little scary. While no place is ever perfect, we are very hopefully that this will be a better fit for us. Thank you to everyone for all of your advice and sharing of stories.
That is so exciting! I am happy you have found a better fit. Good luck this season!

Hooray! I hope they settle in and just get to enjoy doing gymnastics for awhile.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back