WAG Biles is out ....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So, any news out there what happened to her? They say it was not physical but mental. Will she be back for AA and EF?
What happens is she is not? Can another American replace her? I think Jade is the next in line for AA.
And is it possible that Mykayla gets to be in the finals after all?o_O

So, any news out there what happened to her? They say it was not physical but mental. Will she be back for AA and EF?
What happens is she is not? Can another American replace her? I think Jade is the next in line for AA.

The official statement is a medical issue that will be assessed daily to determine medical clearance.

This is what I’m wondering. I *think* yes? Unless the two country rule includes scratches? Anyone know for sure? Either way I hope Simone is ok. Super proud of the others for stepping up and doing the best they could. And though I’m sad for us, congrats to the Russians. They looked amazing. What a crazy ride this sport this!!!

Well, it looks like I was correct about Simone. I commented on 7/5 that Simone seemed off and the pressure and difficulty of her routines might cause an injury:

I agree with your thought that Simone seemed off. When she started her beam routine she seemed very "mechanical" and did not appear happy. My concern is the enormous pressure as the "G.O.A.T" and the difficulty in all of her events is going to cause an injury.

Yup. Looked like the twisties. She was getting lost in the air and I'm honestly incredibly impressed she managed to get that 1.5 to her feet. I feel terrible for her but the rest of the team really stepped up and the support and sportsmanship they showed was incredible to watch. I'm just so glad Simone was in a position to say she needed to scratch and was listened to because continuing to compete in the condition she was in would have been dangerous and an injury would have been so much worse than just pulling out.

I wonder if there might be more to it than simply breaking down under the pressure. Being the best in the world, being watched by the world, being under pressure.... none of those are anything new for her.

I suspect there's a chunk of the story that we're missing.

I wonder if there might be more to it than simply breaking down under the pressure. Being the best in the world, being watched by the world, being under pressure.... none of those are anything new for her.

I suspect there's a chunk of the story that we're missing.
I wondered if she is struggling with some PTSD stuff related to the last time she was here. Maybe flashbacks or something that triggered her twisties? Saying prayers for her mental healing and comfort. This whole situation is not easy for her. I think it is so easy to forget what she (and likely Skinner too) endured in the prior quad.

Yup. Looked like the twisties. She was getting lost in the air and I'm honestly incredibly impressed she managed to get that 1.5 to her feet. I feel terrible for her but the rest of the team really stepped up and the support and sportsmanship they showed was incredible to watch. I'm just so glad Simone was in a position to say she needed to scratch and was listened to because continuing to compete in the condition she was in would have been dangerous and an injury would have been so much worse than just pulling out.
Yes, I mean it stings a little, but that’s the nature of the sport. To walk away with the team silver with a whacky vault, no Simone, and a fall on floor still speaks to the level of our gymnasts.
I think some of Simone’s twisties or whatever can be attributed to sheer and utter exhaustion. This year has just been so jam packed with major comps back to back to back. Her level of difficulty across all events really wears on the body and the mind. Not necessarily pressure, just completely tuckered out.

Well, it looks like I was correct about Simone. I commented on 7/5 that Simone seemed off and the pressure and difficulty of her routines might cause an injury:

I agree with your thought that Simone seemed off. When she started her beam routine she seemed very "mechanical" and did not appear happy. My concern is the enormous pressure as the "G.O.A.T" and the difficulty in all of her events is going to cause an injury.
I don't know how to edit my comment so I am replying to my comment. I was wrong on the injury. Now I think Simone did this for her best friend Jordan. Jordan finished 40th and was the only US team member who did not finish in the top 24.

I am wondering if there is more to it as well.

Say it was the pressure and nothing else though, I can't help but to wonder if she will regret her decision down the line. Maybe she did it for the team, or thought she would get severely injured in her mentality and yet at the same time how many chances do you have to give it all you've got at the Olympics?

I read somewhere (NPR maybe) that she made a statement that said earlier in the day she just started shaking and couldn't stop. A poster above stated that perhaps there was something that triggered PTSD. The entire Nassar thing broke just after the Rio Olympics (if I am remembering the timeline correctly). It took Simone, admittedly, a while to come to terms with it and recognize it for what it was. There is definitely a possibility that something more was going on with her yesterday. Either way, SHE needs to do what is best for HER. Not USAG or the Olympic Committee deciding, not her coaches, but HER. If withdrawing from the competition is what she needed to do, then it was the RIGHT decision.

And for the other US Gymnasts, you are all AMAZING! They had to go 3 up, 3 count on every event in the team finals with one team member obviously struggling, but supporting from the sidelines. They rose to the challenge. They are world class athletes. CONGRATULATIONS, Team USA!!!

What a huge disappointment. I really wish she would have withdrawn in team qualifications and given one of the alternates a chance to compete.
What (possibly) triggered her today may not have during team qualifying - or maybe she was fighting through it then and realized she just couldn't today. We don't know what we don't know.

Either way, in my opinion, everyone did their best and I'm immensely happy for the team. "Disappointment" is very subjective. Not trying to sound harsh, but I would hope the alternates realized that there might have been a chance they would not actually get to compete, depending on circumstances.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back