JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
college-scoring.jpg

Videos of perfect 10's & discussion about college scoring!​

The three main purposes of this thread...
  1. List and provide videos of all the perfect 10's in college.
  2. What do you think? Was it a 10 or not?
  3. What's your overall take / opinion on college gymnastics scoring?
Here is one of the more recent viral perfect 10's... Katelyn Ohashi's perfect 10 on floor for UCLA...

Last edited:

Post those PERFECT 10's and let's talk about them!​

I would love to hear from the judges that we have here. I personally think 10.0 are given to routines that are not perfect but is perfection the correct criteria? There is definitely leeway in the code for less than perfect skills to not be deducted - within 10 degrees of vertical on an cast HS on bars comes to mind. Also, landing with feet slightly separated and then bringing heels together on dismounts. So technically should these routines/vts get 10s even though they were not "perfect"? I think that's where the misunderstanding lay with gym fans who don't know the code. The assume anything less than perfect should not get a 10. And maybe they are right but the code isn't written that way.

There is definitely leeway in the code for less than perfect skills to not be deducted - within 10 degrees of vertical on an cast HS on bars comes to mind. Also, landing with feet slightly separated and then bringing heels together on dismounts.

Alright... I'll play ball on these two examples.

While 10 degrees is quite a bit of room... I don't think that a held handstand on bars is perfect. It really breaks the flow of the routine to me and bars is all about flow. After all... if the handstand is truly straight up... it will hold... I just don't like it... bad rhythm for me.

Landing with your feet together is about as far from perfect as can be in my mind... it's just not natural looking to me. However... there are definitely some routines that land with their feet further than I like as well.

Here's the one that confuses me...

You can take a step for a "perfect" landing on floor... but not on bars / beam / vault???

College Sports Sport GIF

Here is Nya Reed's first perfect 10 from the other day too...

I dont mind the 10's. Most of them seem close enough and within the rhythm of scoring of that meet. I do get annoyed with the landings though with either deep squats or the wide feet (I call it the Oklahoma landing because they seem to have perfected it). Also think the judges do get caught up in not necessarily leo bias, but individual gymnast bias and crowd persuasion. For example Trinity's last 10 on floor versus Alabama, that definitely had a deduction in there for her last pass with a deep lunge on landing. I have seen several of Suni's routines that have been generously scored, as well as Jade's.

I guess my issue is not so much with all of the 10's, but more about the fact that there is SO little spread. There is very little differentiation between routines that appear to have more variation in potential deductions.

Glad to see the responses here! Our family has been watching tons of college gymnastics lately and I feel like it's becoming more popular. Very interested to see what everyone else thinks.

If you voted... please leave a post too and explain exactly what you like or dislike about college scoring.

I get confused by the scoring a lot because I am new to watching college gym… I don’t remember which routines they were but I always thought a step after floor tumbling and leg separation on bars were deductions?

I don’t remember which routines they were but I always thought a step after floor tumbling

Does anyone know where to find this specific rule so we can see exactly how it is written? Does it say that they must "show control" before the step or something like that?

leg separation on bars

I believe this is... it's just hard to see from the side. The double front dismounts are really seeming to cowboy like crazy though.

Are they to high in a sense that 10.0 does not mean perfect- yes.

And also in a sense, that as novagymmom said, that bars one routine could be an actual perfect routine at one college meet and get a 10 whereas a routine that has leg separation and large heel slide gets a 10 as well at a different meet.

However: There is never going to be a routine that's perfect, technically speaking.

I also feel like the judges end up doing a good job keeping it consistent between the gymnasts at certain meets.

Lets also factor in the code of points, angles, etc.

So yes the scores are to high, but it is justified imo.

Reactions: JBS
I think you can see the biggest difference and inflated scoring is between Div 1 and and div 2 teams, and top div 1 teams and secondary div 1 teams. Often very similarly performed routines are scored differently enough to notice. And while the depth on a div 2 team may not be a great as a div one teams there are great performances every division 2 meet. When they are competing against a div 1 team it is noticeable when one girl from div1 team takes a small hop at the end of a spectacularly performed vault amd gets a 9.925 and a div 2 girl does the exact same vault with a small hop and get a 9.775.

Does anyone know where to find this specific rule so we can see exactly how it is written? Does it say that they must "show control" before the step or something like that?
LANDINGS
Landing deductions are taken for lack of control and/or
movement occurring prior to presenting to the judges (i.e.,
celebrating on the mat prior to presenting to the judges
will result in a deduction).

from the cheat sheet found here:
2022 NCAA Women's Summary Sheets (Yohman/Vitale)

Reactions: JBS
My general feeling is that club JO is judged harder than D1 gymnastics. Just my gut, I have no proof. But I often see bent legs, less than 180 splits, uncontrolled landings etc and gymnasts still get very high scores at the college level. In JO the same routine would get a low 9, where in college they get a high 9.

I think you can see the biggest difference and inflated scoring is between Div 1 and and div 2 teams, and top div 1 teams and secondary div 1 teams.
Difference can also be seen in individuals with name recognition, like big name JO recruits (JO national champions, Nastia Liukin cup, etc.), former elites and Olympians.
My general feeling is that club JO is judged harder than D1 gymnastics. Just my gut, I have no proof. But I often see bent legs, less than 180 splits, uncontrolled landings etc and gymnasts still get very high scores at the college level. In JO the same routine would get a low 9, where in college they get a high 9.
In JO you get a 9.5 with a really good routine, 4 9.5s you make the 38 club. In college you have to make a pretty big error to get a 9.5. The soft knees and arms, leg separation and flex feet are such big deal in JO, but seems not to be in college.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back