Parents “A Letter I’ll Never Send”

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AGREED about the shiny glossy words from USAG. I want to see the changes in action. I also thought it a little weird that they mandated that she had to report. That doesn't make any sense. And if that is the case, when are we as parents and members going to be clearly educated about the new process??? Because I certainly haven't. So you can't hold me and my child accountable for something I'm not aware of (and that you haven't even fully implemented yet).
I am pretty sure it is at least alluded to in the SafeSport policy info.
https://usagym.org/PDFs/About USA Gymnastics/safesportpolicy_010818.pdf
Here are a couple "highlights" ... all emphasis is mine.
A covered individual shall refrain from ... "willfully tolerating any of the forms of Misconduct and Prohibited Conduct." Athletes are covered individuals for this." (p. 1)

The following behavior by a Covered Individual may be considered misconduct as defined in the SafeSport Code: Abuse of Process, Failure to Report, Intentionally Making a False Report, or Retaliation. Any such conduct, including after the resolution of a matter is final, is a violation of this policy and/or the Center’s SafeSport Code." (p. 3)

So, basically, if abuse of any type is happening, it needs to be reported.
My guess is that they don't want another issue where YEARS later, over 100 gymnasts decide to come forward about abuse they had been dealing with... :'( ... report it before it can get that far and prevent others from having to go through it.

Reactions: sce
I am so proud of you all. My letter was so similar....
What my dd went through in the last 12 months - really bad last 6 months is the same. Verbal and mental abuse.
And nothing done by the clubs to protect these kids. Shame on them.
Honestly I do not understand why people like this are mentoring and coaching children.
More people need to step up when this happens and say #notmykid

I also found it a little odd that I was mandated to make a report. Other than that, the tone of the response was about what I expected. The odd thing to me is that *I* am not a member of USAG at all, but I wonder if they can’t pressure minors into reporting? I hadn’t even realized that what should be reported had grown to encompass verbal/emotional types of behaviors. I’m glad that it has, but it puts athletes in a weird position imo.

I understand this is incredibly difficult. And to no particular person.

You can expect anything to change. If folks are unwilling to report it.

Even abusive aholes have rights. USAG can’t just do something on their own if no one is willing to come forward

And Milgymfam bravo to your daughter. Tell her I think she rocks.

Im confused. Did she not already report by sending them a letter? Now you have to go do more paperwork? It seems to put a lot on a minor child/ family. If someone comes to them and verbally reports or sends a letter, well, that should work, right?

Im confused. Did she not already report by sending them a letter? Now you have to go do more paperwork? It seems to put a lot on a minor child/ family. If someone comes to them and verbally reports or sends a letter, well, that should work, right?
I think it's because the report was made to USAG, and USAG is saying that the report needs to be made to SafeSport.

I don't understand why, since USAG is now a mandated reporter, USAG doesn't report it to SafeSport themselves.

I think it's because the report was made to USAG, and USAG is saying that the report needs to be made to SafeSport.

I don't understand why, since USAG is now a mandated reporter, USAG doesn't report it to SafeSport themselves.
They are also reporting it. I guess they have to because they know about it now, through us.

Reactions: sce

The point is to have oversight. Otherwise it’s self policing. That worked well didn’t it.

And again. Even aholes have rights. You can’t just say we have 12 some said reports. Folks actually have to come forward and say yes, this happened to me. Even kids.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back