Parents 10 years old to old?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DbacksMom75

Proud Parent
I feel like I leave and then end up back here...
Once upon a time my dd did gymnastics and moved up to preteam, then we moved to Texas and she quit due to the change in coaching environment. We are now entering her 3rd season of all star cheer and yesterday she comes up to me and says "Yeah I think I want to try out for a level 4 gymnastics team next season...". My jaw hit the floor, she has been having some issues with cheer. She's pretty small for her age but they don't have her flying just front spotting, which has gotten old for her. There are other issues but nothing to major (no crazy coaches or anything like that), so I don't know where the change of heart came from.
She could definetly make a Level 4 without question, she has a solid ROBHS and was working on level 4 skills on the other apparatus before we left. I'm just worried she is to old at this point. Is there a lot of 10 year olds on Level 4 teams? She does have multiple BHS and standing BHS but no where near a front handspring or skills on other apparatus. She has also lost a lot of the strength she had before.
We have to finish our current season of cheer before she can switch so it will be awhile but have thought about letting her do some rec classes just to see if she is ready to go back to the 13 hour weeks from the nice 5 hour ones now. I even reminded her how tough the coaches were out here and she said she's ready for them now. Also do they even have rec classes for her skill level? The 1st time she throws her tumbling they are going to ask why she is in a level 2 class.
I have issues and need to stop planning my life out a year at a time....

I don't think any age is too old to love the sport - I definitely would try to get her in a class of some sort to get her strength back, especially that core and upper body conditioning. If age is the only worry then I would let her try!

DD's team had a 10 yr old last year. The HC had pulled this girl out of an advanced tumbling class last summer and placed her on team. She did well (caught on quickly to the other skills) and had a solid season. She's competing level 5 this season and is already very solid on floor, vault and bars. I'd let your daughter try if she wants. Good luck!

10 is not too old. My DD competed L4 as a 10 year old. Where we are that was THE most competitive age group for L4. We even had a couple of 12 year olds that season.

As far as finding a rec class, there should not be too big a problem. Even though her tumbling is strong she will need to work on her bars and beam since she has not been doing it for 3 years! However, she will probably gain most of her skills back quickly since she has alot of core strength from doing cheer!

She is def not too old!!!!!

10 is not too old. My DD competed L4 as a 10 year old. Where we are that was THE most competitive age group for L4. We even had a couple of 12 year olds that season.

As far as finding a rec class, there should not be too big a problem. Even though her tumbling is strong she will need to work on her bars and beam since she has not been doing it for 3 years! However, she will probably gain most of her skills back quickly since she has alot of core strength from doing cheer!

She is def not too old!!!!!
Same here, last year, they split the 9 and 10 year olds into their own age groups at most of the comps we were at because there were so many girls at those ages in Level 4. This year, our L4 team is mostly 9 and 10 year olds, with two being older. Older kids tend to pick little details up quicker than the littles. She will be fine, I say let her try if she wants to. Good luck to her!!

Definitely NOT too old!!! My dd began competing L4 as an 11 year old. What are you goals? Olympics? Then prob. too old!!! But seriously, it's a great sport and she should be able to get on that L4 team no problem!

No Olympics is not our goal...lol I think I have a better chance of winning the lottery then having an Olympic gymnast! She would like to play through college, with or without a scholarship.
I had a feeling that she would be okay considering older kids pick stuff up quicker. She watched the level 4 beam routine over the weekend and then spent a good part of yesterday doing it on her tape "beam" she made on the floor of her room.

She should be fine. Since you had issues with the gym she left(or at least some coach issues) why not look for another gym? Since you can't go right back to gymnastics, now would be a great time to check out other places. Your dd is older and should be able to give more feedback on what she likes. In the end the old gym may still be the best, but who knows?
GL!!

She would be fine and likely move up quickly since with age comes maturity and the ability to learn details. We had several 10 year olds and older on our L4 team at our old gym. The new gym has mostly littles this year but last year had 2 very successful L4 and L5's who were "older". The L5 even skipped L6 and went to 7.
I am sure all the strength stuff will come back to her!!! So exciting that she wants to come back!

Hey DBacksmom!! Welcome back! I think you may remember my history with all this but my dd did all star cheer for 3 years and then switched to gymnastics at the age of 9. She competed Level 4 as a 10 year old and had no problems. There was a lot of competition for that age group so I think your dd will do just fine. I know what you mean about how cheerleading can have it's own issues and when you are an inbetween age and skill-level (a little older and bigger on a youth team to fly and not quite big enough to base on a junior team) you may end up in a position such as front spotting that doesn't necessarily challenge you. She should definitely try gymnastics again, but take your time to check out the other gyms. Even going to a recreational type league such as IAUSAG, Joga or Mason Dixon is still very competitive for an older gymnast but provides much more creativity with individualized routines. Good luck and keep us posted!!

There are 10, 11 and 12 year olds on the L4 team at my dd's gym, so I really don't think 10 is too old. As others mentioned, one benefit is that she would probably catch on quickly.

In Australia 10 years old is young for level 4. Competitions are usually divided into two age groups under 11 and level 4 open. If you are in level 4 under 11 you get to be in the small division because the majority are over 11. Yet, our level 4 skills are very, very similar to those in the USA. So it puts it in perspective.

10 is a great age for level 4, they are old enough to know they want to be there, they have more focus and a longer attention span, she should do great.

Our gym tends to bring them along very slowly. 10 is probably median for L4. I know last year most of the L2s were 8.

I don't think she is too old. Nice to see you back here! I hope you can find a good gym for Phoebe! I am sure she will do just awesome! Keep us posted!

Ten years old is certainly not too old! Our gym's L4 team had girls from ages 6-13 on it last year. The average was around 9 years old. The older girls all moved up, and most of the 6-8 year olds are repeating L4. It seems the older girls pick up the skills and small details in the routines more quickly.

If it helps, we have had 12 and 13 year old level 4s and this year, our team has a 15 year old level 4. So 10 is not too old... unless she is looking for the Olympics :D Then she will really have to fast track it.

After a long talk with DD we have decided that yes we are going back to gymnastics after this season. We would go back now but I have already paid our competition fees and bought the uniform for this year so we might as well see it out. We are going to look at doing TAAF at Empire or TX Dreams. She would like to do USAG at Texas Dreams but I'm just burnt out on the world of all star and would like a year of rec before jumping back into USAG....
Now I have the joy of replacing her leo collection...:rolleyes:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back