Parents 10 yo gymnast possible surgery

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymdancemom3

Proud Parent
Hi! New here and this is my first post. My 10yo dd was recently prescribed orthotics by a podiatrist. At this last appt we were discussing her being in the gym 16hrs a week and how the orthotics would do her no good unless she was wearing them. Our next step would be subtalar arthroeisis(sp?) where they will insert a small object, it looks like a screw, in between the joint to keep her from over pronating. He made me feel like a horrible person by having her at gym so much and that because of her ankles/feet gymnastics is not for her. She basically has no "spring" for lack of a better word and she is over using her quads to make up for the ankle/feet problems. I am waiting on an appt for a second opinion from an orthopedic dr, but just wondering if anyone has dealt with this before? Thanks for reading if you made it this far.

I am not a medical professional and do not truly understand what your daughters issue is but I have 2 thoughts 1) I am sorry if the doctor did make you feel bad. Many doctors do not understand gymnastics and that our kids do it because they love it. 2) has she done any physical therapy to try to correct the problem?

Yes, my next stop would be to a very good physiotherapist, a chiropractor and/or a manual therapist. Sometimes these things can be fixed. And sometimes they can't and if it can't be fixed then you probably need to consider not doing gymnastics if it is going to cause her long term pain and problems. But I would definitely want to know for sure before having to take away what she loves and doctors aren't always the best ones to tell you these things. My dd was told by the best gymnastics ortho in our area she would never do gymnastics again. Three years later with the help of a miracle worker of a chiro/manual therapist and the right PT program she is happy and healthy and still pursuing her gymnastics dreams. Doctors are great for a lot of things but in my experience don't know everything. Good luck!

Has this been an ongoing problem and the orthotics are the last resort before surgery? I would be sure to try everything and anything before surgery of that type. We have a gymmie at our gym that wears some sort of orthodic and the hc had found a way to tape it to the girls foot for practice!

Yes, my next stop would be to a very good physiotherapist, a chiropractor and/or a manual therapist. Sometimes these things can be fixed. And sometimes they can't and if it can't be fixed then you probably need to consider not doing gymnastics if it is going to cause her long term pain and problems. But I would definitely want to know for sure before having to take away what she loves and doctors aren't always the best ones to tell you these things. My dd was told by the best gymnastics ortho in our area she would never do gymnastics again. Three years later with the help of a miracle worker of a chiro/manual therapist and the right PT program she is happy and healthy and still pursuing her gymnastics dreams. Doctors are great for a lot of things but in my experience don't know everything. Good luck!
This! We are so lucky to have found the best PT who does manual manipulation also. It's such a blessing!

I agree with the above. Since your daughter is young, there is a great chance for improvement if you find the right practicioner to help. Strengthening & lengthening the muscles that control her movement now can only help her as she grows (maybe she pronates due to a tight/shortened muscle or ligament?).

Don't feel bad -- you took her to the Dr and you're trying to help her. Maybe you just need to find a different type of care provider -- one that can help without surgery would be good! My daughter wears the x-brace during practice to help support her arch. It has helped and she has remained pain free since she finished PT.
https://www.thexbrace.com/

Thank you all for your feedback. I have already scheduled an appt with an orthopedic dr to get a second opinion. We have tried the x brace and other braces, but they are not helping and she is still having foot pain. I appreciate all of your responses!

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back