13 Annoying Things

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay, well, I tried to post this yesterday, but something was wrong with the website and I couldn't post. So, this is a day late. But, in honor of Friday the 13th, I was going to post a list of 13 things that annoy me in elite gymnastics (or just gymnastics in general). These are just in the order that I think of them. My little commentary thing is in parenthesis.

1. Those jumps they do after a tumbling pass. (Exception: Gabby's split leap after her last pass at the American Cup. Now that was amazing. I hope she cleans it up again before the Olympics. The one she did at the trials was quite sad. I especially hate it when they stick the landing, stop, and then do their jump. Oh, how I miss the good old stuck landings. Or when they allowed a step after the landing.)

2. Hot pink leotards. (Pink is apparently a very patriotic color for the US now. I think Nastia started that trend, especially since WOGA seem to be the biggest fans of pink. I was shocked but extremely pleased to see no hot pink on day 2 of trials! :eek: Ouch, they hurt my eyes.)

3. Rebecca Bross's Patterson. (I was just waiting for her to bust her knee again doing that. I know she said that Valeri was not making her keep it, but she wanted to prove that she could do it. I was soooo happy for her when she stood it up on the last day of trials. If she is truly done, what a great way to go out.)

4. Amanars. (If you can do it as well as McKayla, then by all means, do it. I love seeing those kinds of Amanars. Jordyn and Gabby's are good as well. Kyla, please please please stick with the DTY. Aly, oh my. What a lovely TUCKED Amanar you have. Hello, busted knee. With all these girls chucking Amanars left and right, I am expecting to see at least one knee blown out at the Olympics.)

5. The messy bun. (Seems to be in style right now. They slick their hair back in the front and then it is crazy in the back. Especially Nastia. My dad was commenting on how tall she looks, and mom goes, "Well, her hair adds 4 inches!)

6. Short sleeved leos. (For competition. Wear whatever you want to workout. But I personally think it kind of looks like they don't care. I like long sleeves so much better for competitions.)

7. Coaches by the bars. (They stand next to them when the gymnast goes for a release. Why? I think I have seen a coach catch a gymnast about 5 times. Most of those times it was Valeri catching someone. I've seen Chow do it too. But why stand there if you are not even going to try?)

8. People who think gymnastics is easy. (Yes, the people on TV make it look easy. You say you can do that? Okay, let's see you do a double back. No? Okay then. Don't brag about it.)

9. People who ask if you are going to the Olympics. (Just because I am a gymnast doesn't mean I am training for them! And even if you are training for them, there is no way to tell if you will be in them until you are actually there.)

10. Can you do a backflip? (That seems to be the question asked when you say you are a gymnast. And when you say no, I'm in the middle of a hallway right now, they think you aren't very good.)

11. Flippy things. (Can you do those flippy things? That is the other common question. Those flippy things have a name, you know!)

12. Al. (Was that a stick?)

13. Tim. (Of course! What list would be complete without Tim? Look at that ginormous vault! She just exploded off the table! Oh, she fell! That's a disaster. That's gonna be a deduction, you know. Now she's out of the conversation. But of course, it all boils down to what Marta wants.)

So, this is what happens when I have too much time on my hands. Sorry for the long post. I seem to be saying that a lot lately :D

I hate how people think that I'm terrible because I'm not on the high school gymnastics team like this other girl in my grade! Obviously I'm never going to be elite, even though I'm level 8 and 13, it's never going to happen with all the pressure. I know I'm mentally tough, but not THAT mentally tough!

I'd like to see a list of the 13 best things about the sport in addition to the things that are annoying. I'll start.

1. I love that at least evey four years we get to see awesome gymnasts on prime time tv. Some sports never get that kind of coverage.

7. Coaches by the bars. (They stand next to them when the gymnast goes for a release. Why? I think I have seen a coach catch a gymnast about 5 times. Most of those times it was Valeri catching someone. I've seen Chow do it too. But why stand there if you are not even going to try?)

I'd like to see a list of the 13 best things about the sport in addition to the things that are annoying.

2. Coaches who do stand under the bars for ANY level, safety is #1.

Boy, I saw the title and thought it was just going to be 13 annoying things in general, not gymnastics-specific.

I was getting ready to post a list of 13 songs by the black eyed peas.

4. beautiful extension and perfect toe point. Whether on a 4 year old or an olympic team member or anything in between. makes my day :)

5. Watching your child learn the benefits of working hard and knowing how much that will impact the rest of their life.

6. Watching your child do something s/he loves. Too many people lack a true passion in their lives.

7. The first day your splits were ever down. Tell me that wasn't awesome sauce.
8. When you finish a hit routine and walk off the mat like you own the place.

Here's my list of 13 Things that are awesome about gymnastics.

1. When you stick that one skill, and you get that tingling feeling in your stomach.

2. You can go to the gym and get away from everything in life.

3. The feeling you get when your flying in the air. The air shooting through your hair.

4. The happy feeling you get when you win a meet. You've accomplished something you're proud of.

5. When you hit a routine, and you walk off that mat like you own the place.
(from Mack)
6. When you hit your first splits

7. When you feel like the worst gymnast in the world, and then some kids at school ask you to do a "flippy thing" and you do it, and they are totally in awe. You feel like you're talented!

8. When you're mad when nothing seems to be working right, and you see a little girl watching you, and you realize how far you've come and how good you really are. Because, a few years ago, that little girl was you.

9. When you think back to years before, and you still remember every step of your first floor routine! And the routines you have now are as natural as sleeping.

10. All your best friends are at the gym with you!

11. No matter how high you flip, and no matter how fast you twist, you always know where the ground is!

12. Everything becomes a beam. And, when your not at gymnastics, people think your crazy because your doing little dance moved on an imaginary line on the floor.

13. You have free time, and your still doing gymnastics

Now, bad things.

1. Pain is normal.

2. When your friends are at parties and your in the gym, flipping your heart out.

3. You learn to accept failure, and you know you can't always win.

4. You can't make yourself sit still for 30 seconds

5. You have a dent in your hair from wearing a ponytail.

6. Um.....I don't know any more!

Haha you know you are obsessed with gymnastics when you know which Youtube montage pretty much every one of those quotes came from! ^^^ #8 is Do you remember when and most of the ones near the end are from You know you're a gymnast when. Haha I've seen those way too many times.

12. Everything becomes a beam. And, when your not at gymnastics, people think your crazy because your doing little dance moved on an imaginary line on the floor.
Yes, if there is a curb, I must walk on it. My mom laughs every time and sometimes people stare but I don't care. Ledges, bricks, curbs, I'll walk on it. And leap on it. One time there was a brick wall about 4 1/2 feet tall and I jumped up on it to walk on it. Mom freaked out and thought I was going to fall. Then my little brother tried to do it too but he couldn't even get up :D

1. Pain is normal.

2. When your friends are at parties and your in the gym, flipping your heart out.

3. You learn to accept failure, and you know you can't always win.

4. You can't make yourself sit still for 30 seconds

5. You have a dent in your hair from wearing a ponytail.

6. Um.....I don't know any more!

I'll add another one:
7. Gravity! :D

Same, 3 years ago, when I was in 5th grade, we still had recess, I'd do back hand springs on the cement strip between the black top and the rocks...And I'd do a back tuck off the swings....and put sticks in the ground to make a square for a floor and I'd do my routine, run the passes. I was the craziest kid in the grade. The clerk would always yell at me for attempting "dangerous" stunts.

When I was younger and I had to wait for my parents to pick me up after school, sometimes I'd play on the curb and pretend it's a beam. I started off doing turns and eventually got all the way towards bwo bhs on the curb!

The best things about gym for me are...
1. teammates who are like sisters to you and can tell you anything;and you can be normal people together outside the gym. as true friends not just teammates who you have to put up with in the gym
2. supportive coaches who will be there for you during the ups and downs. who can read you and are able to know what mood your are in; to know when to push you or lay off and give you space. and when you can tell them everything even stuff that has nothing to do with gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back