14 year old with 7 and 8 year olds?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was in (somewhat) the same boat. I had just moved from a kinda crappy rec. gym to a competitve gym, and they wanted to see what I could do, so they had me in a class with ages ranging from 5-8. But then I moved up :) I am still the oldest one, but that does not matter to me. There are 2 Level Ones at my gym who are 14 years old (keep in mind that we are Canadian) and the ages range from 6-14. You may not get to a super high level, but if you love it you should stick with it.

Thats just about the same situation I was in! I started gymnastics when was 13 in a class with a bunch of 7 and 8 year olds. Everybody thought I wouldn't make it to a group with my own age. I now am training 5/6 and its only been 7 months (I am 14 now.) It does not matter what anyboby else says. You can do it!

hi so i just started gymnastics and i'm 14. i am a level before level 4 and at this new gym i want to attend( my old one wasn't teaching me what i needed, and overcosted us) the level 4 group have 7 and 8 year olds only. The teacher and my mom say that i am too old and my mom thinks it would be a waste of time in the long run because i would get to level 6 annd 7(my desired levels) around 15-16-17 years old and i could do other sports right now. But ireally like gymnastics, a lot, i'm obsessed and i could quit and just move on but i love it. what do i do?
Should i just quit and move on?
or compete with other 7 and 8 year olds

Do what you love and what your mom will let you do.

Have you considered Prep-Op teams as a possibility? Those programs are a little different but I think you would find more girls closer to your age in the level you would qualify for. (if age is an issue)

Honestly I've seen L4 as old as 16 just starting out. Its not too common but there are others out there. and at your age you have more disipline so you should go faster with your skills if you work hard.

Thank you everyone but what if there aren't any other 14 year olds at the competition?
and also the owner of the gym thinks it wouldd be strange to place a 14 year old with 7 and 8 year olds and also they were saying that the way you teach an 8 year old a skill is different from how you would teach a 14 year old.

also my mother tells me that i wont get anywhere in the long run with gymnastics since i cant get a scholarship for college since i'm so much older.

There will be eventually. and if not well then congratulations you place 1st. the last age group I believe is either 12 and up or 13 and up (not sure exactly) but there is always a few.
Really if you love it does it really matter who else is there.

I know I am very late in this replying to this thread and doubt anyone might reply but gymnasticslvr21 how did you move up to level 5/6 in only 7 months?! That's amazing! Was there some special program you did with your coach? You seem very talented!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back