Anon 16 year old and low level

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

i recently turned 16, and have done gymnastics for about 6 years. I keep seeing around all my socials, girls who are younger or the same age doing all the skills that my mental blocks stops me from doing. i’m only an xcel gold (i need my flight skill on beam in order to go to plat), and i wish i was able to do these things i know i can do but i just freak myself out. I can’t twist because i’m paranoid about my ankles (i tape every every practice), my mental health has also descended dramatically. gymnastics is my place to let go everything but i cant even send a simple flyaway. I just want to give up, but i know i can’t because this is my one and only sport i actually enjoy. but seeing girls my age or younger completing the dreams i’ve had since i was 8 makes my heart sink. I feel like a failure atleast my vault score is a 9.55

Gymnastics is fun for all ages... as long as you are having fun with it... then go for it!

If it's no longer fun... then I would test out some new activities and maybe something will be fun.

I would focus more on what your strengths are in gymnastics and build on those, rather than worrying about what younger girls are posting on social media. Stop following those accounts and just enjoy doing what you love when you're in the gym. Set some goals for yourself that have nothing to do with scores. It sounds like you're eager to learn a flyaway- can you let your coaches know this is a goal you'd like to work toward in the coming months? Setting smaller goals along the way will lead you to achieving your bigger goals over time. Avoid comparing yourself to anyone else and have fun continuing to develop your skills.

i recently turned 16, and have done gymnastics for about 6 years. I keep seeing around all my socials, girls who are younger or the same age doing all the skills that my mental blocks stops me from doing. i’m only an xcel gold (i need my flight skill on beam in order to go to plat), and i wish i was able to do these things i know i can do but i just freak myself out. I can’t twist because i’m paranoid about my ankles (i tape every every practice), my mental health has also descended dramatically. gymnastics is my place to let go everything but i cant even send a simple flyaway. I just want to give up, but i know i can’t because this is my one and only sport i actually enjoy. but seeing girls my age or younger completing the dreams i’ve had since i was 8 makes my heart sink. I feel like a failure atleast my vault score is a 9.55
Hey, I totally understand how you must be feeling, but please don't let social media discourage you from doing what you love. I got consumed with seeing young gymnasts doing more difficult skills than I was doing at the time, and it made me feel like I was "too old" for the sport. But despite what we tend to see, gymnastics is for all ages! And please don't think of yourself as a failure. You participating in this sport alone is something a lot of people don't have the courage to do.

And I think I can speak for most (if not all) gymnasts, that mental blocks are one of the toughest things to experience in this sport. I know mental blocks can be very frustrating, but working at it one step at a time is the best approach. If you're having any feelings about quitting, maybe you could take a few weeks off to give yourself some time to think about what you really want to do.

This must be very frustrating but please know that Gymnastics is an individual sport. You go at your own pace, when you are ready. You cannot force your mind or body to go beyond what it is willing to go at any point in time. Have faith/trust in yourself that if/when you're are ready, those skills will come. Even high level gymnasts have limits as to what skills they will try or have blocks with. It happens to everyone. One thing you can do however is to talk with your coaches about how you are feeling and whether they have any strategies to help you through the blocks. Possibly adding more drills that will build your confidence in knowing your body is strong enough and knows what to do for the skills.

as others have said, you may have a more positive mindset if you stop following gymnastics on social media. It is not helping you psyche and is causing you to feel negatively toward a sport you clearly still enjoy.

This new anonymous post box was messing with me ...I thought the OP was answering herself until i saw the new box down at the bottom of the page....tech above my pay grade...
It messed with me too- I responded and didn't intend to be anonymous, but didn't realize I needed to uncheck a box.

I would focus more on what your strengths are in gymnastics and build on those, rather than worrying about what younger girls are posting on social media. Stop following those accounts and just enjoy doing what you love when you're in the gym. Set some goals for yourself that have nothing to do with scores. It sounds like you're eager to learn a flyaway- can you let your coaches know this is a goal you'd like to work toward in the coming months? Setting smaller goals along the way will lead you to achieving your bigger goals over time. Avoid comparing yourself to anyone else and have fun continuing to develop your skills.
Well, lets just say i made the flyaway!! (i’m doing front flyaways not back. backwards scare me)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back