Coaches 17 Y.O. reluctant to change RO Back Layout

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

W

Wally

This is a bit of a basic one BUT I need to hear others on the subject. Background: I coach smallish girls so much of what I do is lead up drills and shaping and spotting through skills/part skills etc. So teaching RO back layout with them from scratch isn't the issue.

In the gym I am working at are adult recreational gymnasts. There is one man/boy who is doing RO back layout saultos. The layout is more like a whip back HS with low trajectory, back arched head back etc. I have spoken to him about this. His exit from RO is very slightly piked so the rotation is obviously being initiated by the top half of the body ie going from slight pike to layout position/arching before lifting occurs.

He is not my gymnast and is reluctant to change as others are saying what a great job he is doing. I don't get much access to him ecxept when the other coach who works with him asks my help or is away from the gym. Also my age/state of well worn body and his size prohibit as much spotting and lifting as I would do with the smaller girls.

I have prompted him to stand up more in his RO rebounds, watch for his feet as he goes into layout and aim feet for ceiling.

We have a trampoline but no tumbling track/pits/sprung floor. It is a gym stocked with basic equipment only. Your suggestions/thoughts (no matter how basic or complex) are gratefully accepted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is he a self taught tumbler or cheerleader?

The simple solution is to ask him if he ever wants to twist.

Train the proper layout on trampoline. You might have to go back and even reteach the back salto in tuck and pike and tight arch layout, then hollow.

Todd, thanks for the great link there. Blairbob, I don't much about his training.. I guess he's had some coaching but is left fairly much to his own devices now. I will try some of the suggestions next season with him if he is interested.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back