MAG 18 yo and SafeSport

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Has anyone had a gymnast who was 18, and competing JO? I have some questions about SafeSport. Do they have to abide by the same social media rules with younger teammates? Can he still be friends on social media, and transport his teammates? He is NOT a coach at this gym.

Does anyone know? We are planning a meeting with his coaches as well, but that has been pushed aside during all of this.

We had two kids who turned 18 last year. They had to take the Safesport course in order to retain their membership. The issues came up with rooming at camp and the social media stuff. We never got a very definite answer. i think as long as everything is in the open, the kids are teammates and not too far apart in age it's not a big deal. This is where the overly specific SS rules hit real-life situations. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree. It has been something I have been thinking about for a while. Most of his friends are high school aged, but I am sure there are some younger. I just want to make sure he is following the rules as he needs to be.

I suppose we will set up a meeting soon...seems to be the best way...keep it all in the open and upfront!

Just found this from 2019. I'll look for any other updates.
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2019 9:13 AM
Cc: Lisa Mendel <
Subject: Important: A U.S. Center for SafeSport policy update for all adult athletes(18+)

IMPORTANT: Please give this information the widest distribution possible within your areas.

Each USA Gymnastics athlete member, age 18 or over, should have received a message from USA Gymnastics Members Services regarding the U.S. Center for SafeSport’s requirement that they take the Safe Sport course.

This is a mandated policy from the U.S. Center for SafeSport. USA Gymnastics, as well as any other National Governing Body within the Olympic movement, is required to implement this policy.

The March 23 deadline for taking the Safe Sport course has been dictated by the Center for SafeSport and not by USA Gymnastics. However, USA Gymnastics has received permission from the Center for SafeSport to not begin auditing athlete compliance with the completion of the Safe Sport Course until April 23. Member Services has updated the effective date in the message included below.

What this means:

• You should encourage your athletes, age 18 and over, to try to complete the Safe Sport course by March 23.
  • You should inform your athletes, age 18 and over, that after April 23 they will no longer be allowed to participate in any sanctioned event until they have completed the Safe Sport course. Athletes 18 and older MUST complete the Safe Sport course prior to participating in the Men’s 2019 JO Nationals.
  • When an athlete turns 18 year old, he will have to take the Safe Sport course prior to being able to participate in any USA Gymnastics sanctioned event. This requirement extends to all USA Gymnastics sanctioned events including camps and workshops,as well as any activity held at the USOTC. Please work with your athletes to ensure that they are aware of this new requirement as we move forward.

Since we are now well into the championships part of the season for the age group and NCAA programs, the 30-day grace period granted by the Center for SafeSport certainly takes some of the pressure off of athlete compliance within the short window of time that the March 23 deadline dictated. However, all sanctioned events after April 23 will be affected by the requirement.

The first major event that will be affected is the JO National Championships in May. Therefore, it is important that the Regional Chairs and the participating coaches at the respective Regional Championships make the 18 and older age athletes who have qualified JO Nationals aware that they must complete the Safe Sport course prior to being allowed to participate at the JO Nationals.

As noted below, the Safe Sport course takes approximately 90 minutes to complete. Please be proactive about helping our athletes to fulfill this U.S. Center for SafeSport directive.

Thank you for your time and energy in addressing this important new initiative.

If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact any member of the Men’s Program staff or USA Gymnastics Member Services.

For USA Gymnastics,

Thanks @krc. He is taking that in a week or so. We have a little time. He has taken it before, when he started coaching at a local gym, but it has been a few years.

I am sure that I am overthinking this. I tend to do that, and, well, I have a LOT of time on my hands right now ;)

The key stuff is on pg 17 of USAG's Safe Sport Policy.

Minor Athletes Who Become Adult Athletes
"With the exception of athletes who are members of the same team, Minor Athletes who reach the age of majority (i.e. 18 years of age) must adhere to the provisions found in the Center Minor Athlete Abuse Prevention Policies when interacting with Minor Athletes who are 14 years of age or younger. For example, an 18-year-old amateur athlete may room with a 16-year-old amateur athlete, but that same 18-year-old amateur athlete may not room with a 13-year- old amateur athlete.

However, Minor Athletes who reach the age of majority and then obtain a position of authority that presents a Power Imbalance (please see glossary), such as becoming a coach or official, must also comply with these Prevention Policies regardless of the age of the Minor Athletes with whom they interact."

My interpretation of this, which might be wrong, is that, given that he was a member of the same team as a minor and has since become an adult and is still a member of the same time, he is exempt from the Minor Athlete Abuse Prevention Policies. That means he can continue to be social media friends with his teammates, room with them, give them rides, etc. With athletes who are from any other team, he must abide by the Minor Athlete Abuse Prevention Policies if they 14 years or younger. So, he could room with a 16-year-old from another gym at a training camp, but not a 13 year old.

If he was to take an authority role by becoming a coach or official, this would be inappropriate, he would need to abide by all SafeSport regulations like any other coach.

Thank you! This is what I needed.

He does coach, but at a completely different gym. I will make sure he is not following any of the younger ones on social media, but I do not thing he is.

Glad to help! Obviously I'm not an expert on interpreting USAG policies, but I'm good at finding things.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back