MAG 1st Future Stars comp this weekend!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

dancemom

Proud Parent
Judge
DS7, comp. age 8, is competing at his first FS this coming weekend. Camp is to follow in a few weeks. I'm so excited!!
Any words of wisdom or advice?

Exciting!

Things to know...

Scoring is typically 'tough' - moreso than regular season. A pommel routine, for example, that might score a 9.0 in regular JO season might score a 6.5 at Future Stars. Probably not that extreme across the board, but I have seen some tough judging. My son has scored 5's and 6's on events that I thought looked 'decent'. lol. So boys who are used to being 'standouts' in their usual group (and are probably in FS for that reason) now see a whole new field of talent, some of whom are real superstars (and a few of those kids train ridiculous hours with multiple privates per week, etc, but that is another thread), and also see lower scoring. Just make sure you are prepared for any expectations there if your son is one that is more 'score conscious' or competitive in that way.

If your area is like ours, scores are not 'flashed' anywhere - you only get the scores at the end on a small card, or maybe not at all (coach might get them later in a spreadsheet or something). But I have heard regions differ a lot, so not sure what you will encounter there. But probably much less pomp and circumstance than you are used to at regular meets. More laid back. It is a 'test' type environment as opposed to a 'meet' - at least that's the way I feel about it. We don't have medals or awards, though they give everyone a completion certificate and do recognize the "Top #" that are officially on the 'FS Team' but that's it. No podium.

Also, they can be LONG. More events, and sometimes there are not enough judges to run all events simultaneously, so it is a LONG day. Perhaps pack extra snacks to your child's needs (and Yours!).

What I love about FS is the camaraderie among the boys throughout. These are generally the more serious-minded kids and they form a real connection with other boys across the area. And whether or not your boy comes out 'on top' score-wise, the experience of being in this elite group of focused and dedicated kids is the real prize!

Just tell your boy to have fun, try his best, listen to his coach, and don't worry too much about the numbers. He has worked hard for this, and he should enjoy the experience of participating and demonstrating the results of his hard work. And you're proud of him of course. :D

Have fun!

Everything Sasha said!

Always keep in mind that the point of FS is for these guys to improve as gymnasts. It's great if they make the regional team or go to nationals, but the real goal is to get them to focus on form much more intensively and get those foundational skills really clean so that they can build them up into bigger and better things. On that note, I think it's a great thing that your region is opening up the post-regionals camp to more athletes!!

Edited to add: during his Olympics commentary, Jon Horton was reminiscing fondly about his days doing FS, and the time he got a 1 on pommel horse at nationals.:eek:

Hi again & thanks, all! DS had a great day, making the top 6 in spite of a couple of falls. No scores were flashed or given after, which was actually quite nice. He really pushed himself, just getting all the floor skills this week to avoid scratching. The clinic was great, too. A great experience overall.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back