Parents 1st L5 meet report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lets just say we are glad this one is over.We had to be there 8am which always stinks! It was a small meet so they had the L6 girls in our session also.
1st up vault warm up looked pretty good and she scored 8.1 okay we will take it.Next up bars warm up looking real good connections are looking good ,but when it counted she had bent arms on both kips ,did not connect well and toke extra cast on high bar score 8.15.Then on to beam which used to be her best event the beam was right smack infront of seating not good.Warm ups scary not making cw anyway she was 1st up puts her hands down on mount ,does not make vertical on hs and makes cw but falls after both feet were on beam.Okay I figure a low to mid 7 the score flashes 6.7 ouch!The next girl up does beautiful routine its vertical makes everyting she gets 7.85 now we are floored the scores continue the 1st pl on beam scored 7.95 very tuff judge.On to fl dd's weakest event she gets very nervous on fl.Anyway again seating is right there.She goes last so we get to watch the scoring .Scoring still pretty low so now I am scared.Dd's form pretty ugly did not go all the way in her splits and put her hands on fl after her 2nd bhs.She received 6.5 Ouch!
v 8.1 no place
ub 8.15 4th pl
bb 6.7 no place
fl 6.5 no place
AA 7th
This was the lowest scoring meet I have ever seen on beam and fl anyway! She has her 1 and only qualifier this Sat.it is @ our gym so hoping for some major improvement this week.

Wow sure sounds like the beam and flor judges were harsh. I always try to look at it - as long as they are consistant in their scoring.

Good luck at her qualifier.

Well at least she now has the experience and that will help her in training this week. I don't mind harsh judging when it is across the board, but it can be very hard on the gymnasts.

Still she placed and got to go home with some bling, that always helps.

Best of luck for the qualifier.

Sorry her first meet wasn't what she wanted it to be. Those judges on floor and beam seem extremely harsh, but I guess they were harsh across the board. Hopefully you won't see them too many times. Yikes.

Glad she got through it though and she placed on bars! And 8s on bars and vault at level 5 are great!

Sending her lots and lots of luck for her qualifier. Hopefully being hosted by her gym will be good for her.

Congrats to your dd!! Not a bad start to her level 5 season! First meets are brutal. Just getting the jitters out and getting back in the swing of competing is what really matters. Getting 8's in level 5 is pretty impressive. I agree with Bog, as long as the judges are consistant, low scores are easier to swallow. I know it is hard on these girls that are used to seeing much higher scores. Good luck to her next weekend! She'll be much more comfortable at her own gym.

That is tough judging! Hard for the gymnast, but at least the judges were consistent. Better luck to her at her next meet. What does she need for a score to qualify?

From one L5 mom to another...sending some early season love! It's over (early stinks, I thought that ended with level 4 LOL) and it was not a bad place to start for a first meet! Here's how I look at it from my very short L5 season wisdom. As long as they've got that kip, the rest will come around! Your DD did awesome on the vault too. My DD has been struggling with it since switching over after L4. And, your DD did all 4 events! At my DD's first in-house they would not even let her try the floor routine yet it was soooo bad. She is floor challenged, LOL! I think it's hard to get used to the dance elements and being able to remember to use the outside parimeter of the floor instead of right down the middle all the time like L4.

My parents came to my DD's meet this past weekend. They haven't seen her gymnastics since last yr at L4. They were AMAZED at how much harder and longer the routines were for L5 than L4. I don't think I see it since I am always seeing some skills progression and practice year round but they are right. We just did an out of state meet and boy were the scores low. And, first meets of the season are usually pretty low too. That floor routine gets better with practice and the beam, well my DD doesn't always stick it either, LOL, but it will get better! But, now she knows what she needs for the qualifier. What AA score do you need? I am thinking your qualifier is like our sectional? It's what you need to get to states? All in all, I think your DD is off to a great start, she will only get better! Sending beam and floor fairies, they came in handy for us this past weekend so we will gladly share them.

Thanks everyone for the kind words .I was expecting all 7's so the 2 8's were great.She had a 30min private yesterday and her coach had her go thru the fl without music and looked very good .I do not watch practice to often but last night I stayed I was hoping to see her fl but they worked on tumbling and beam just skills.She worked so hard .Her bars were fantastic made connections and great form and did the best vaulting I have seen her do_On the way home she told me this is the first time she had sweated at the gym.Lol My dd competes AAU so I believe they only need a 28 or 29 to qualifiy.They go by there highest qualifier score to determine which session they will be in. Really could use those beam fairies this Sat.!

As a mom in Fla, all I can say is I feel you on the scoring! It is so tough here! Are you in north Fla. by any chance? We had a meet in Tampa this weekend and OMgosh, the judging was so harsh. It is hard in So. Fla too, but they were judging our girls differently there. They took lots of deductions off of our beam, across the board for all of our L4's and 5's. Said we were doing wrong hand placements:confused:!

It sounds like your dd had a very good first L5 meet, 2 8's is awesome! And now she can just keep going up, up,up! So nice to have the first one out of the way! Congrats to her, I'm looking forward to following her season and getting a peek at L5 in Fla!!

Hey gym-mom-fla we are just n. of Tpa.Which meet were you at ? We were at Gene Stowe in Tampa.Sounds like the same mean judge.

Hi, we were at Lafleur's in Largo, just outside of Tampa. Very tough meet for us, although our girls did well. The gyms competing were very good. I couldn't believe the difference in judging, it wasn't so much the scoring, but the deductions. We've been competing those routines since Sept. and scoring 9.5/9.6's and there they were saying we were doing things wrong and were scoring 9.0-9.2. It was just so different. Oh well, it was a good experience for our girls to see the "northern" gyms. Do you guys have State in 2 weeks?

Last edited:
Gym Mom:
2 8's are great at the 1st L5 meet. It seems like she had a pretty good first meet. L5 is a lot tougher, isn't it? Dd had her 1st L5 meet this weekend too. I hadn't been expecting much, but it ended up being worse than what I expected. She bombed the first meet of L4 last year too, so hopefully it's just 1st meet jitters. By the way, we had a tough beam judge this weekend too. I'm probably biased, but I thought dd's routine was great. Same thing happened to her on the cartwheel like your dd. Plus she did not hold the scale & almost fell coming out of it. Other than that, there were only a few other minor things that I saw, but her jumps & handstands were beautiful. She got a 7.3. Ouch. Oh well. Here's to hoping those beam fairies show up for both your dd & mine at their next meet! :)

Your DD did awesome on the vault too. My DD has been struggling with it since switching over after L4.

I hear you on this. My dd is having the same problem. Vault was her best event last year in L4, but this year once her hands hit the table everything seems to go twice as slow. She can't block.

Gym-mom-Fla I am sure that Lafluers meet was tough some fierce competion there.Sorry your dd did not get the score she was used to her routines are always so beautiful.My dd competes AAU her gym competes AAU L2-5 then sometimes a few Usag meet in L5 to get them used to it before Optionals.Our gym does not want burnout so keeps the compuslory team to low practice hours my dd practices 9.5hr this yr.I have only watched AAU meets but around here 9.5 or higher is rare and usually not until states.My dd's state is the 2nd weekand of Dec.She will probably be competing L5 again in spring.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back