Parents 1st level 7 meet... a shocker!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymjourneymom

Proud Parent
Well, we survived our 1st level 7 meet...I didn't actually have the heart attack I felt was coming on;). It was great to hear all the different music! It really seemed to make the meet fly by. But enough small talk here's the scoop! Bars were ok, pretty much as we expected 8.75. No placement for them, she knew they still needed work:rolleyes:. Vault nice as we expected...9.5!!! Earning her 4th place:D! Floor the event she was most excited to compete...9.1!!! Earning her 1st place:D!!! Now for the BIG shocker...drum roll please...Beam 9.45!!! A personal best & 1st place:D!!! 36.8 AA 2nd place:D!!! Such a shocker!!! Especially, considering we didn't even think she'd move to level 7, due to bars & BEAM issues. So DD's season is off to a great start. Next meet isn't until mid January...so she has some time to work on those bars & get that giant perfected. But beam has ALWAYS been DD "problem" event...she's had much fear to over come there. So that win was EXTRA sweet! She just looked so confident & strong on the beam, even looked like she was having a good time up there! And she HATES beam...guess she's a good actress too,LOL! Now for my bad mom of the year award....I didn't get the beam routine on video:eek:. I thought I did...but I must have had the camera on on the bench & then when she started & I hit the button I must have turned it off instead of on!!! I have video of the bench & that's it:confused:. Guess I'm out of video practice...it's been a few months! Told DD she'll just have to do a repeat performance at the next meet, so I can get it then,LOL!!! Thank you all for your support & words of encouragement! My CB family is great!

Last edited:
Wow, she did so well, it such a relief to get the first meet done, WAY TO GO!!!

She must be on cloud 9, this is such a great boost for her. That bar score is very respectable for a girl who is struggling with bars. As for vault and beam, OMG that's awesome.

That video thing is such a pain sometimes.

That is so wonderful - A 36.7 AA in her first L7 meet WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!

I am glad she did so well. That is great about beam (well, except the video part :p ). Once she polishes up those bars she will be on top of the podium all the time :cool:

I really regret messing up the video. Not just missing the routine, but the look on her face when they flashed her beam score. It was priceless. It was a deer in the head lights look of "Me? Is that my score???". Then she mouthed "OMG". Then she covered her eyes shook her head...like 'I just don't believe it'. Then the smile came...ear to ear. I'll never for get it! It was the look & realization of...my hard work really did pay off! Sweet!

ROTFL on the video taping gymjourneymom... even though I know how disappointing it can be, and you probably kick yourself everytime you think about it... so it is funny, but not.

Now for the congrats - A GREAT BIG CONGRATULATIONS to your dd for such a fabulous 1st L7... Wowsers on her beam - what a special moment that you will always have etched in your memory, if not on tape :(... she has plenty of time to work on those bars for her next meet... I can't wait to hear how it goes next time :D

What a great start to her level 7 season - those scores were great!

I totally understand missing the video. I did the same thing last yr, but worse. It was dd at level 7 States, she was the AA State Champion and I do not have any video because I thought the battery was dead and not one picture of her up on the podium because the professional photographers only did the meet and not the awards and my FIL was taking the pictures and he thought that my camera automatically adjusted focus - NOT! Bad mom of the year award for me too.

I am sure that she will hit another one and hopefully her face will be just as precious!;)

What a great start to her level 7 season - those scores were great!

I totally understand missing the video. I did the same thing last yr, but worse. It was dd at level 7 States, she was the AA State Champion and I do not have any video because I thought the battery was dead and not one picture of her up on the podium because the professional photographers only did the meet and not the awards and my FIL was taking the pictures and he thought that my camera automatically adjusted focus - NOT! Bad mom of the year award for me too.

I am sure that she will hit another one and hopefully her face will be just as precious!;)
Oh man! Missing video & pics of DD getting state champ! I feel for you:(! Congrats to your DD on that MAJOR accomplishment:D by the way! Guess we'll always have our memories...just like the old days...like the '70's(lol) before video cameras! Sometimes ya just gotta laugh! Especially, this time for me! Seating wasn't that good at this meet. But I had a clear shot of the beam. What's so funny is that, there I sat, thinking..."Oh man, she's doing so well & I'm getting such a great shot of it!". I was so proud holding that camera up:rolleyes:!!! Even zoomed in on her face for the score...that's why I saw it so well! I'm such a dork:dopey:! But for my video camera the red light means you're recording & green means pause...now does that make sense:confused:. When I see green my brain registers that as "go" or "taping"....

OMGosh, she did amazing. Congrats to her! Bummer about the camera incident, it happens. Sounds like she was meant to be at L7 right now. She worked so hard and it is paying off. Yay!!

Oh what a SWEET MEET!!! A big hug and big CONGRATS to your DD!!! I know she must feel like she's walking on cloud nine. What a fantastic way to start the Level 7 season! I can't wait to see the videos (except, of course, for the BEAM!!!!) She has to repeat that one next time!

-Lynn

WOW - that is so awesome !!!!!!!! Congrats to her on a great meet and an unbelievable beam accomplishment !!!! :D:D:D:D

Didn't think you'd move to L7, you've got to be pulling our legs with those scores:D Fantastic job, that is such great news. Your DD must be very happy...personal best on beam...Ha!...we knew she could do it;)

Have a great season and keep the reports coming

Congratulations! What a fantastic meet!!! Now if the camera were in order.... ;)

Didn't think you'd move to L7, you've got to be pulling our legs with those scores:D Fantastic job, that is such great news. Your DD must be very happy...personal best on beam...Ha!...we knew she could do it;)

Have a great season and keep the reports coming
Thanks so much! I think the parents here understand what all this really means(what my DD has gone through, etc.), so much better than family & friends & co-workers. When I called my mom(DD's grandmom) she understood enough to say..."Isn't that the thing she so afraid of doing?"... regarding the beam. DD has had severe fear issues & that's was holds her back. She can do the skills beautifully...but sometimes...she just won't go for them. No explaination...no root cause...no injury. Just pure fear that stops her in her tracks. It was really fear issues that threatened to keep her from level 7. Fear is still her issue with the giant fly away, that she needs for bars. But as I've said before...she always amazes me! This time she just out right shocked me & herself:D...in a good way!!! I'm just so hoping that this confidence boost will really help her to know, that she really is talented & she really can do this stuff! Thanks to you & the rest of my CB family for your understanding & support:)!

Last edited:
OMG!! That's amazing!! What a great meet! I'm so happy for her (and you)! That sucks about not getting the beam routine--but at least you got the floor routine (isn't that her favorite event?) Can't wait to see the vids! Congrats again and give her a big "high five" from me and Dani!!

OMG!! That's amazing!! What a great meet! I'm so happy for her (and you)! That sucks about not getting the beam routine--but at least you got the floor routine (isn't that her favorite event?) Can't wait to see the vids! Congrats again and give her a big "high five" from me and Dani!!
Thanks so much! Yes, floor is her fav! It was an 8am session, DD is a night owl...not a morning person at all:zzz:! Her floor routine is high energy! I don't know how she got herself moving & "into it", so early in the AM. I certainly didn't have my act together at that point, or at any point apparently, LOL! Glad she did! But it was one of those things, you know, when you get up while the moon is still up, you rush to get there, get settled in & boom she's up 1st event...1st one to go. I wasn't mentally prepared! Her score came up 9.1, we were happy:). But it wasn't until we saw some more routines, that we realized that judge might be scoring on the low side. We didn't think a 9.1 would be 1st place...so we didn't really get the full effect of that one until the awards ceremony:D! Another shocker!

HOLY COW!!! That is fantastic! That meet makes every tear, every hard practice, every furstration, every fall worth it!

I am so happy for your DD! She is off to a great L7 season!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back