Parents 1st level 9 meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Granny Smith

Proud Parent
Dd had her 1st level 9 meet this past weekend. This was the 1st time she was competing in 1 yr, during her level 8 season last year she broke her foot and was out for 4 months, so not only her 1st level 9 meet, but the 1st time competing in awhile!

She started on beam. Coach changed her series to a BHS-BHS, to be safe, and it paid off. She hit her series. She did drop her split jump from her switch leap+BT+split jump combination, so she only got .2 bonus and she only did her 3/4 tuck jump and dropped the split jump after it so no bonus there. She pulled out a 9.225, go enough for 2nd place.

Moved onto floor. HC dropped her DB 1st pass and she did a back 1.5 (anyone who knows anything about my dd, twisting in not really her thing - she has had a mental block for literally over 2 yrs and is slowly getting over it!) She landed it, so yay she fulfilled her 'C' requirement. 2nd plass she fell on the punch front of her half/punch front. 3rd pass she nailed FHS-FLO-FP. Overall an "okay" routine. Score 8.3, no placement.

Over to vault. She did 2 Yurchenko Pikes. 1st vault had nice pop off the table with a step on the landing and the 2nd vault not as much pop, but stuck landing. Not sure which one counted for score. Score 9.15, 5th place

Last up was bars! My dd loves bars and feels like this is her event. She was 2nd to last up. She starts on the low bar (facing the bar set) kip, squat, jump to HB. Kip cast HS to HB pirouette (gorgeous!), giant, clear hip HS (and it was to HS!) toe shoot HS (again it was to HS!) shootover (that didn't end in HS, but it was close and no touch down) she glides through does kip squat jump to HB, giant, giant in DB. Her DB looked really good and high, but she landed on her feet and then touched her hands down (bummer, but that's ok, the routine was gorgeous up to this point and she usually never misses the landing.) Score 8.5, 4th place.

AA - 35.175, not too shabby for her 1st ever level 9 meet, not to mention she had 2 falls! This was good enough for 4th place. Her team took 1st place for level 9 and the first thing she says to me is that her beam and bars contributed to the team score! She was very proud! I thought this was a great meet, she did awesome but still enough room for improvement and with her errors, it was just enough that she couldn't wait to get back into the gym and work!

Another meet this weekend, so hopefully she will work on the flukey stuff she fell on during practice and fix at this meet. Can't wait!

Sounds like she had a wonderful meet. She has every right to be proud of herself. I hope she gets her "flukes" worked out. Cant wait to hear how she does at this coming weekends meet. Sending all my best

It sounds like she did pretty well, considering she hasn't competed in a while. Congrats to a solid first meet!

Congrats to her!!! She should be very proud of herself! Which meet did she compete in?

That's usually a really tough meet. She did very well, especially since she hasn't competed in a while!

That's usually a really tough meet. She did very well, especially since she hasn't competed in a while!

Judging was a little hokey and saw some scary skills being performed by a few girls, but also saw some good competition too. The meet this weekend I don't think the competition will be as tough, more local, but it will give her a good idea what she will be going up against at States.

Congrats on a GREAT 1st L9 meet. It is a huge jump skillwise from 8 to 9 (for my dd it has been!). She must feel so proud to come back so strong after being injured last season!

Wow it sounds like she did great. I know I watched a couple of our gyms optionals that are this level and the skills seem so hard. I amazed at the dedication and hard work these girls at their teenage years put into the sport and overcoming injuries to compete at those high levels. I think people not involved in the sport have no idea how difficult it can be. I hope the remainder of the season continues to be a good one for her.

Great job for her first L9 meet! It's always really tough coming back after missing a competitive season, not to mention moving up a level at the same time. Hope she has a great rest of her season.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back