Parents 1st meet jitters

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Update on previous post. So, DD competed her bar routine. 9.5 start value due to cast handstand height. But on the bright side no falls and completed both giants. Yay. Placed 5th. Stuck her beam routine. Leading off with a bar routine helped her confidence. Having her coach laugh at her for medaling with a low bar score did not. She has only had a competition ready giant for about a week so it should improve quite a bit over the course of the season. They can get giants after puberty whoo hoo! Thanks to all for your good thoughts and well wishes. Good luck to all of your gymmies as well. She also met Jake Dalton Even more handsome in person. How long did it take to make the giants cleaner?

congrats to your gymmie!!!!
i get nervous as anything for each and every single meet. the only exception will be next week's meet. we will be hosting and i will be out on the floor with the judges during her meet so i won't be able to watch her compete her other 3 events as i'll be focused on timing and inputting scores. :) ditto for 6/7 states as we will be hosting that again this year. haha

Ooh giants! Now you, too, can look like a weirdo in attempting to assist your dd with them, by performing your own giant motions while semi-seated in the bleachers!

hahahaha - i'm not the only one who does this? dd hasn't competed them but i did my own little workout as she was learning to get them. :)

Update on previous post. So, DD competed her bar routine. 9.5 start value due to cast handstand height. But on the bright side no falls and completed both giants. Yay. Placed 5th. Stuck her beam routine. Leading off with a bar routine helped her confidence. Having her coach laugh at her for medaling with a low bar score did not. She has only had a competition ready giant for about a week so it should improve quite a bit over the course of the season. They can get giants after puberty whoo hoo! Thanks to all for your good thoughts and well wishes. Good luck to all of your gymmies as well. She also met Jake Dalton Even more handsome in person. How long did it take to make the giants cleaner?

Congrats to your DD - what an awesome accomplishment! And I would love to hear the story of how the giants came to be if you get a chance - or direct me to a thread if the story has already been told!!

We are on a very long journey to hopefully someday get the skill competition ready!!!

It took my dd a year to get her giants and she competed them for the first time at level 7 state meet. She then spent level 8 sometimes making them, sometimes not. It was agony. They can be hit or miss for even the best gymnasts for the first year or so.

So glad your dd had a solid meet! Who cares about the low bar score placing - regardless of score she was in the top 5 for the day. Shows how tough the judges were judging.

Congrats to your DD - what an awesome accomplishment! And I would love to hear the story of how the giants came to be if you get a chance - or direct me to a thread if the story has already been told!!

We are on a very long journey to hopefully someday get the skill competition ready!!!
My DD just explained it like this. After the cast as she is dropping into her clear hip she arches then snaps aggressively. She said she did it this way until she got the timing better and eventually the form got better as well. She said they taught it at the coach congress this year. Good luck to your daughter as well! It took mine two years. I still think part of her problem on the regular cast handstand is not extending her kip but she has never learned to extend completely. A really bad habit. Among some others that may hinder her for her career. How old is your DD again and is she in a serious growth and development spurt. It sucks, because mentally they get the corrections their body just acts alien to them. Keep us posted as well.

It took my dd a year to get her giants and she competed them for the first time at level 7 state meet. She then spent level 8 sometimes making them, sometimes not. It was agony. They can be hit or miss for even the best gymnasts for the first year or so.

So glad your dd had a solid meet! Who cares about the low bar score placing - regardless of score she was in the top 5 for the day. Shows how tough the judges were judging.
Thank you so much. She has gotten to the point where she lets the negativity fly over her head. She was so excited to stick her beam routine and get credit for the CW RO series. Also finish her bars without a fall even with form deductions. I think it will clean up as her strength, confidence and timing in it get better. There is no way to not be proud of someone who worked that long and hard for a skill and accomplished it at a meet. Her head coach did say it was a successful meet. She is just not an enthusiastic person. No hugs, not exuberant at all. Kind of like the farmer in the movie "Babe" "that will do pig" Hope you all get the reference I am not calling my sweet teen a pig.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back