WAG 1st Meet Over....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DND

Proud Parent
Well first competition was yesterday and it was a combination of highs and lows. Not many girls in her level as it is quite small in our province maybe 5 girls. I was proud of the strength and determination to carry on and not give up as well as the grace shown when the disappointment was breaking her heart in side. As a mom all I could do was tell her I understand and give her a big hug!!

I tried to share with her all the things I have learned here from others about not worry about scores, judging and how to focus on the positive things she accomplished. I guess its easier said than done as it is still bugging her today, but I think she is coming around.

Bars was first...fell twice visibly upset at herself after hitting fine twice in warm up. - 10.65 4th place. Tears filled her eyes when she did not get around on her first giant, back up she went giants looked good, but fell on her layout flyaway. A few more tears and then worked on collecting herself.

Next event Vault...11.85 1st place, but all girls got landing deductions even though the mats were not stable. This was a nice breather for her to have after bars as overall is is usually a decent event for her and does not stress her out.

Floor...11.45 3rd place...not sure on this one as this is DD's strongest event and also the one causing her the most confusion and making her upset. This was the all time low for DD as she went first and had watched the others thinking that she had done a clean routine. Turns out the girl who won took steps the same as most girls on the group (1st meet jitters I think) plus went out of bounds.

After the meet many even went up to coach and parents to myself wondering what the ****??? I think there was reference to being robbed...lol!! I have to admit even though I know better I felt my blood boil a little at what seemed to be a really big mistake.

Last event beam...11.65 1st...not bad routine for first competition, but DD knows what she needs to work and improve on and clean up so was pleased.

Overall 3rd all around! I think that is great as I feel the marks are low in general, but not bad for a first meet. Knowing that she can easily gain 2 points (i think that is the least she lost for the falls) she has a nice start to stay in the running.

I have been trying to upload her videos, but I am really poor at it so after numerous attempts floor is up. Thanks for all the well wishes!

Nikki G Pre Novice Aspire - YouTube

She is a little ray of sunshine, she performs beautifully and her skills are very nice. Love her free walkover and her floor passage. Glad she had some highs and that she placed. First meets are always interesting. Back to the gym and preparing for the next meet.

She is a little ray of sunshine, she performs beautifully and her skills are very nice. Love her free walkover and her floor passage. Glad she had some highs and that she placed. First meets are always interesting. Back to the gym and preparing for the next meet.

Thanks Bog!

That will be Gymnix...and it will be the biggest thing either of us have ever witnessed!! When I looked I think there is 80 girls in that level and in our whole province we can barely muster 5...

I am looking forward to it and hoping DD will enjoy the experience too!!!

They will break the girls into smaller groups than the 80, though probably 20-30 in each. But yes it is a big competition. Usually her level competes in the main gym which is on a podium and is set for the international meet. It is very cool, my dd loved the experience.

Maybe I will be there to cheer her on.

She did great! She's doing some huge skills for such a little one and should be proud of herself for just getting that far. She's amazingly poised for someone of her age as well. I'm sure she'll be able to get all the kinks worked out for the upcoming meets!

I competed there twice. In that time, everyone competed on the podium. The venue is really great. They will probably be divided in 2 or 3 sessions. The girls I coach are about 60 in the regions and they are always divided in 2 groups.

I competed there twice. In that time, everyone competed on the podium. The venue is really great. They will probably be divided in 2 or 3 sessions. The girls I coach are about 60 in the regions and they are always divided in 2 groups.

It must be nice for the girls to have so many peers! Here we have so few we end up with one local meet and one travel meet and then its do or die at Provincials for a spot to Westerns.

I wonder if it is hard on them not really being exposed to the difference in intensity compared to being bale to compete more and against a larger group. It is so new for us just finishing our first meet that I guess we will learn hard and fast as we go!

It he difference in Quebec is that PNA and PNE are treated as National levels and so all the girls in the province compete at all three qualifiers. A lot of travelling, but it means they see all their competition at each meet. I think in Ontario the girls do not compete against each other until provincials. I am sure Ontario has lots of girls her level, she just never sees them.

many of the girls at Gymnix will be from Ontario.

It will be more than we get to see that is for sure. I never really thought about it too much until this weekend when today we went and watched the Regional Stream (DD has a friend in that level) and saw the size of the groups. Wow what a difference and then listening to the parents talk how there was actually a meet every weekend if they wanted one.

That got me thinking how to be training at an higher level, but never really getting to compete it until you are thrown into an environment so different than what you are used to that it must be really tough. I guess on the flip side I don't think we could afford to travel out of province to compete every weekend if that were the case either!

There are about 45 girls in the pre novice espoir (if I translate it well, it's your daughter category) in Qc province, 6 in the prenovice elite, and as bowoppit said it, they compete at least 3 times together before the provincial qualifier.

It must be nice for the girls to have so many peers! Here we have so few we end up with one local meet and one travel meet and then its do or die at Provincials for a spot to Westerns.

It is nice, but a couple of them found it pretty hard today to go back home empty handed, as they only give awards to the first 8 positions, out of about 30 girls... Their category is pretty competitive. For example, one of my gymnast had a score of 11,15 (on a maximum of 13) and finished 26th. Only one point separated 1st and 26th position.

In Quebec our girls do three meets, that all unless they make it to the Challenge des Regions, for the regional levels, or the Provincials for the higher levels. There are very few other meets for clubs to attend. I think the most my girls ever did was 5 including Gymnix. Here clubs are told where they can compete and we just do not see many invitationals.

My dd's competed in groups that ranged from 10 - 60 girls in size. Medals were like gold dust!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back