Parents 1st Prep-Op Meet!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

msl529

DD had her first Prep-Op meet this weekend, Nat'l Judges Cup in FL near Disney.

It was held at a huge arena (somewhere between a college-sized gym & a professional sports team-sized arena). DD was pumped when she walked in & saw that she would be performing in such a big venue!

She had a blast and scored/placed great. IMO, since Prep-Op is scored w/ AAU rules, after coming off of L6, she had some pretty lenient scoring. But this is off-season and supposed to be for fun, so she's enjoying the boost!

Report, in order of events:

Bars: It was her worst event in L6, did basically her same L6 bar routine (but connected it!), w/ a cast-flyaway at the end (which is one step of difficulty higher than a cast-tap swing-flyaway at L6). Got a 9. 075, even w/ medium-level casts & slapping her feet on the mat. 2nd place.

Beam: Made up her own routine, not getting much quality coaching on that event at gym right now. Fell once (first time falling off beam in 1.5 years!), big wobble, scored 8.2. 5th place.

Floor: Loves her new music/routine! The music is very 'big' and she needs to be very sharp & 'showy' to make her routine fit the music. IMO, her performance/showmanship was was limp, but her tumbling passes had good technique, which I guess the judges liked, b/c she scored 9.2. 1st place.

Vault: Still her best event, a few steps on the landing, 9.2. 1st place.

AA 35.725, 1st place! She even scored the best AA out of all her teammates, which she is VERY proud of. Plus, 11 out of 14 of her Team's Prep-Ops are last year's L6's (as in Fall of 2007), who did not get moved up to L7 yet this year and who refused to compete this past season as L6's again, so the HC had them do Prep-Op. She was especially proud of 'beating' them, since they practice as Optionals, as the same time as the Optional group at gym, and she is w/ the compulsory group!

She saw her routines on vid and now sees how 'small' her floor looks, especially when watched from high above in the audience. Now she is excited to go back to gym and 'pump-up' her routine a bit.

I'll post the vids when I can.

Next meet, back up to Disney, for the 'Sand Dollar', in 3 weeks!

What a great meet for her, she must be so happy, cant wait to see the videos!

How fun for her! Glad she is having some fun with prep-op. Can't wait to see the vids.

Isn't it funny when they see video of themselves and know what was wrong, etc. I think sometimes they think they are doing things a certain way, but then when they see it on tape, they are like, ohhh.

DD has a huge meet in February that is at a football stadium. She is so excited about it. :)

Thanks! Here are the vids. Please note that after returning from a week away for Christmas, she had 3 practices to get ready for this and has LOTS of brushing-up, cleaning up, etc., to do. But she's off to a positive start!

YouTube - K's 1st Prep-Op Meet 2009

:) :rolleyes: :cool:

great job!!!!..and she just had only a few weeks to get the routine!! 1st AA is Awesome!!!! Tell her congrats!!!! We were suppose to go to the Judges Cup but our schedule changed. We went last year as a Level 5 to San Diego and I agree the the whole experience is so much fun! Congrats! :)

How cool is that, she rocks. She'd do so well in our Canadian system where our levels are all like prep op.

Great vids

Awesome first prep-op meet. I always say if you can make it through level 6, then anything after that will seem easy.

It's great to hear that she had an wonderful time and her placements were awesome too.

I hope to watch the video shortly!

Real quick - was able to watch her video and she did great! Just think of how high that score would have been on bars if it wasn't for the tap, next time she'll get it! ;)

She should be really proud of herself! :D

She looks soooo good!!! Lovely lines & form!!! I'm soooo happy for her:D!!! Great job!!! Totally rocked the floor & vault!!! Bars will get there. And she finally got a beam fall over with(none in a year & 1/2, wow!)...so that's all done now. Now for you mom...I love that video!!!!! How did you get such great shots of every event????? I feel like I was right there watching it all happen!! Plus, I love the song you chose too. Great job to you too mom:D!!! Your a pro!!!

Just watched her video. She rocked the floor! When she pops those moves more and really gets into it, wow! She is off to a great start!

She was awesome. Great job. Loved her floor routine.

I am so looking to going to FL for the Sand Dollar. Please keep the warm weather fairies there. I am waiting to pack until the Monday before we leave because I am not sure what to pack.

Barb

Real quick - was able to watch her video and she did great! Just think of how high that score would have been on bars if it wasn't for the tap, next time she'll get it! ;)

She should be really proud of herself! :D

Thank you Granny! I so wish she could get rid of that tap! It may be a while though! She says it's 'really hard' not to do it, AND she has those long legs, so she has to have even more strength to keep the feet from slapping... In time, little by little, her skills will improve...! :cool:

She was awesome. Great job. Loved her floor routine.

I am so looking to going to FL for the Sand Dollar. Please keep the warm weather fairies there. I am waiting to pack until the Monday before we leave because I am not sure what to pack.

Barb

We will try & keep the weather nice for you. It was in the 70's-80's in Orlando last weekend, so it was quite pleasant! But it can cool off quickly, so do pack a couple of options. But you will only need a sweater at the most, I think! Especially for INDOORS!In FL, the restaurants, etc. keep the temp at about 65 degrees! :cool:

She looks soooo good!!! Lovely lines & form!!! I'm soooo happy for her:D!!! Great job!!! Totally rocked the floor & vault!!! Bars will get there. And she finally got a beam fall over with(none in a year & 1/2, wow!)...so that's all done now. Now for you mom...I love that video!!!!! How did you get such great shots of every event????? I feel like I was right there watching it all happen!! Plus, I love the song you chose too. Great job to you too mom:D!!! Your a pro!!!

Thank you so much gymjourney, for all the nice compliments. Esp. on the video, since I kind of threw it together today, & it will probably get a few revisions after dd sees it & requests music more to her liking, lol. But for now, I liked the song too (the 2nd one of course, the 1st was her actual floor music). It was easy to get good shots, as we were in a HUGE arena and I could go right up front to film her & still not be in anyone's way! Thanks again for all your support! :)

I always say if you can make it through level 6, then anything after that will seem easy.

As my dd would say, "True, that!".

I hope you are right. Something tells me when she is training for L7 once we move to TX, she could be in for a big struggle! She tried out at one gym during our Christmas vacation there, & she was w/ the L6/7 group. She said she was WAY behind them on bars! Not a surprise...:rolleyes:

For those interested, I had to make a slight change to the video, so the old version is no longer up on You Tube. I posted the newer version in the CB video forum. ;)

WOW - she did amazing. She must have been walking on clouds after that meet. Finally having her own routines after years of compulsories is so much fun - but then to win 1st AA on top of it - just awesome. Hopefully she brings that confidence and enthusiasm with her to Texas so she can continue to kick butt !!!

what level prep op did she compete? She did a fantastic job!! And you did a great job on the video too - thanks for sharing. any word on when you'll be moving and what gym your DD will be attending?

what level prep op did she compete? She did a fantastic job!! And you did a great job on the video too - thanks for sharing. any word on when you'll be moving and what gym your DD will be attending?
I am not sure what level Prep-Op she competed. When I read the FL Prep-Op rules, it seemed that if they had qualified for L6 States, they would be 'Platinum' (I think the highest level for Pre-Op?).

But when they competed, all the P/O levels were all lumped together, and only separated by age group. In other words, one gymnast coming off L5 & now in P/O competed against other gymnasts coming off of L6 & in P/O, that were of the same age. So....it wasn't really delineated by P/O level.

Thanks for asking about the move. We will be somewhere in the Keller/Southlake/Colleyville/Grapevine/Flower Mound area. We are looking at comp's for houses near the ones we like, and deciding which will be the best decision. Shooting for the end of this month, as hubby needs to begin working then, but we're still not 100% sure. I'll keep you all posted here once the decision is final.

Gyms....still looking. Hoping for one near the areas I mentioned above!

Thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back