Parents 2 month gym closure and going back...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So my DDs gym ended up having to close for 2 months due to the owner getting kicked out of his lease with short notice and having to move. Covid closure for her was only another 5 weeks and she was great about doing her conditioning. This time around conditioning has been VERY sporadic. She is excited to go back Tuesday but nervous she is going to have lost all her skills. I am honestly nervous for her. Did anyone have their gymnast out for 2 months or more during covid and do little conditioning during break? Im curious how long it took them to get back into the swing of things? She told me today she's afraid she has forgotten how to even do a flyaway.

She'll be fine. My girls went to a gym that closed for 10 weeks every summer, the first weeks back were brutal, but they really did not lose skills, just has to work hard to get back in shape. My oldest, now 22 took 8 years out of gym, and within 6 weeks was back to the same skill level.

The body remembers.

I’d ease in. While muscle memory is great and skills really aren’t lost, I’d be concerned about injuries if she hasn’t been conditioning at all and goes full out right away. First weeks back should be concentrating on getting back in shape (conditioning, drills and basics)

My D was out of gym for 7 months due to covid restrictions and went back just last week. She said she was a bit rusty (casts and clear hips a bit lower) but that it felt like riding a bike- she slipped right back into her routine in the gym. Your daughter will be fine- mine took off 4-5 weeks every summer due to travel and summer experience commitments during high school, and she was usually at her absolute best right after returning. We always assumed it was the physical and mental break that allowed to to start refreshed every year.

Thank you everyone! This is good to hear. I'm thinking like after the covid closure the first few weeks back will be a ton of conditioning and drills. After that though full steam ahead. She was level 6 last year and hoping to compete 7 next season. I think shes worried about getting a consistent giant and beam connection. She tends to be pessimistic with gym at times but atleast she is very excited to get back in there!

Thank you everyone! This is good to hear. I'm thinking like after the covid closure the first few weeks back will be a ton of conditioning and drills. After that though full steam ahead. She was level 6 last year and hoping to compete 7 next season. I think shes worried about getting a consistent giant and beam connection. She tends to be pessimistic with gym at times but atleast she is very excited to get back in there!

Mine was out for 13 months and has most of her skills back. She did only a little conditioning at the beginning of the break. Bonus - she overcame a block with vaulting and says it her favorite event now.
Thats awesome! Vault used to be my DDs least favorite too but having a choice of vaults changed everything for her!

Mine was out for 3 months. Any lost skills are due to an injury since being back.

There's no reason why she couldn't come back to training better conditioned yet than when she stopped going to the gym.

My daughter faced a similar situation once, and her training during that break from going to the gym is at least part of the reason she is enjoying the success she is having today. She also had to take a break from going to the gym during Covid restrictions, and it did not stop her from having a very successful competition season. Both times she came back leaner, stronger, and better conditioned than before.

With some simple pieces of equipment and a little time and dedication, she will not have to lose all her skills, or at least keep up or improve her conditioning, so that she will be better able to pick elements back up when she starts again. Some mats, an inexpensive low beam or foam beam, a rope tied to a tree, and maybe some monkey bars is all you need. If you want to go the extra mile some box jump boxes or stands, some ankle weights, and a rope tied to some dumbells or weight plates could help increase strength and explosiveness.

Conditioning, stretching, and carefully practicing some basic skills at home could help her stay well conditioned and sharp during that break.

I do not know how old your daughter is or where she is in her gymnastics journey, but there's no reason she can't take a break from going to the gym and then come back and be successful again. Maybe you could use the TOPS program as a template to help during the break?

For me, I had a long break from gym due to covid, about 7 months. To answer your question, it took about a month to get back to my previous level after a seven month break. All considered, not too long. During the break we did do our best to stay in shape with lots of conditioning and light tumbling for those of us who had airtracks. However, I really wish my gym would have taken more of the "phase in" approach because many girls battled injury.

@HighHopes those are all great ideas for anyone who is about to begin an extended break…..but I read the OP as saying that her dd was heading back to gym on Tuesday (not beginning a break), and that during her time off she didn’t really do any conditioning of any regularity.

@HighHopes those are all great ideas for anyone who is about to begin an extended break…..but I read the OP as saying that her dd was heading back to gym on Tuesday (not beginning a break), and that during her time off she didn’t really do any conditioning of any regularity.
If that's the case, then it's a really good time to start a LOT of stretching, and focus on good nutrition and plenty of sleep now and once she starts up again. If she has any time to do some intense conditioning from here to then, it might help to lessen the blow a little bit. They're young, strong and resilient, and she has nearly a whole summer to train for competition (assuming USAG JO optionals). She should be fine soon enough, even though she has not been practicing her skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back