WAG 2 ?s - Bars: straight body & piked flyaway

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vans2

Proud Parent
Hi CB world!

We just finished competing lvl 6 State last weekend. DD did very well (placed 3rd AA)!

Here is her bar routine video (9.2 4th place) and I am hoping for a bit of education from experienced parents, coaches, and athletes.

#1. My DD does not straddle when doing her kip cast handstand (which she held back full handstand in the video). Is that ok? No one else does it this way at our gym - or that I have seen. Does she need to learn to straddle?

#2. Because of the flyaway fears (injured doing the skill last summer), she ended up finding it easier to perform the layout instead of the tuck. The layout seems very pikey and the skill will certainly carry over to lvl 7 (a requirement at our gym). How much deductions is she getting for this pikey-ness? Is it alot or not too much to worry about?

Thank you in advance for your input!

Many find it harder to do a straight cast vs. a straddle cast. Gymnasts usually do the one that works for them. If her coach is good with the straight cast, then no reason to change it. Though she has work to do to get to a cast handstand. As for the flyaway, I do not know deductions, but I imagine, with time, she will get hers more laid out.

I think the straight leg kip cast handstand is harder than the straddle. Less technique involved than straddle, but requires more strength and maybe more quick twitch to get up there. With the straddle, it's easier to hit the handstand and the straddle action compresses the body to make it easier to get up. So I have heard! Maybe someone else can way in on this.
It is pikey, but she will get it! I'm not sure of deductions either.

My DD does straight body on low bar and straddle on high. She says high bar straddle cast is easier to master than straddle cast on the low because high bar kip helps generate momentum and you have more time and space. My DD can also straight body cast on the high bar, but the temptation become to arch it up which is a no-no, so the straddle helps her keep better form. I would say stick with the straight body on the low bar while traning/learning straddle.

Her flyaway is not quite in the layout position, but she will get that in time!

My daughter did straight body when she was young. Then they switched her to straddle. She too thinks its much easier to do straddle. Then recently the national head coach won't look at anything unless its done in straight body. It gives no more value and is harder....but he says its looks better. i think its stilly myself if there is no difference in value. But my dd does what she is told.

Her LO flyaway is actually not that piked. I would have given credit for a LO with a small deduction for the small pike. I dont' have my book here in front of me, but the lack of casting to Handstand is more deduction than the dismount. Either cast is acceptable, it just has to be clean. She is slightly arched in her cast, but she is strong to do that straight body. She will get it with more practice.

Thx everyone for the insight and tips! This was a lvl 6 routine which is my understanding that she only has to cast above 45 degrees right?

She can do the kip cast handstand, but failed at the last regular season meet so she didn't attempt to go all the way up at State (for the sake of not blowing it ha ha).

She is one of those naturally strong girls, even before gymnastics (didn't get those genes from me)!

In lvl 7 our gym requires to handstand so if this routine was scored in lvl 7 she would have had deep deductions for not hitting handstand on both bars for sure.

This is a great routine, with a great score!!
Figuring out bar cast deductions is tricky for L6 and L7 - I found a website with a nice page that explains it.
What makes it tricky and hard to understand - on the one hand there is a 'requirement' for a certain angle at L6, but on the other hand there is still a 'deduction' for ALL optionals if you don't cast to handstand. So the requirement for L6 is to cast to horizontal, but even if you get the cast to hoizontal as required, you STILL GET deductions if you don't cast to HS each time you cast. (this must seem crazy to anyone outside gymnastics.)
Check out this chart - it explains it well:

bar-angle-chart-optional-II.jpg

This is the website where I found this - scroll down to the optional chart: https://gymblogcentral.com/2016/04/whats-your-bar-angle/

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back